Webcam to Sorenson Cam?

signer16

Reaction score
I am a hearing person with many deaf friends. Most of them have sorenson VRS... while I, unwilling to pay $150 for one, have a webcam. We can't seem to find any way for us to chat. I have a Mac, so NetMeeting doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Maybe you could look into E-bay ? and make sure it is NIB .....( New in the box ) or try http://www.froogle.com and get the price bracket to go as low as it can then order that one? Make sure it is brand new though.

Yes, there is a way for ya'll to chat.

You need to find out from your friends what their IP address is. Not their phone number, their IP address. When you have their IP address, you can use your webcam and iSight software to dial an IP address.

An IP address is something that looks like 4 sets of numbers separated by dots, like this: 58.64.81.192

What Sorenson does is that when you dial the "phone number" it really looks up that person's IP address in their directory list. Every time you turn on a VP-100, it connects to their server and gets that person's IP address so people can call them. If you've got a webcam, you need to use that person's IP address.

To find out someone's IP address, they need to go into their settings, network, and check "public IP" and look for a number that does not start with "192". If a number starts with 10, 172, or 192, it's a fake address.

I have a webcam but it is not an Isight...though I should be getting an isight soon. This webcam doesn't have any specific software... I just plug it in and it works.
I have had friends try to dial my IP address and the connection never worked, but even if it had, what program would you use?
Okay, so if I get an Isight and install that software, it should work?
Thanks for the help.

get DLink webcam from Fry's, it will work connect to Sorenson if you dial up the ip-address.

Uh, yes they will. They all allow for IP address usage. What leads you to believe it won't work?

Edit: Okay, I looked again on iChat, and I can't seem to find the feature that states one can connect to IP addresses. I also haven't tried out the Squidcam for Macintoshes, but the Windows version CAN connect to IP addresses, deducing from the two top menu items on this picture:

lancast.jpg

I will continue to look into iChat for the feature that led me to believe that connecting to IP addresses is possible, but again, EDGE, you don't state WHY you don't believe they'll work with VP-100's. If these programs can connect via IP addresses, you can't say they don't work.

let you know that iChat is function as AIM.

Dennis said:
Uh, yes they will. They all allow for IP address usage. What leads you to believe it won't work?

Edit: Okay, I looked again on iChat, and I can't seem to find the feature that states one can connect to IP addresses. I also haven't tried out the Squidcam for Macintoshes, but the Windows version CAN connect to IP addresses, deducing from the two top menu items on this picture:

lancast.jpg

I will continue to look into iChat for the feature that led me to believe that connecting to IP addresses is possible, but again, EDGE, you don't state WHY you don't believe they'll work with VP-100's. If these programs can connect via IP addresses, you can't say they don't work.

lancast.jpg

Isnt that the guy who just resigned as chief justice of Saddam's trial?

Richard

the two programs that work with sorenson are EnvisionSL and Sign2.5 (name wrong on that, but I dl'd it and tried it) and neither are Mac compatible.
We tried sightspeed for her computer, and a few other programs, and of course Ichat, but none of it worked. I just got an i2eye camera, that should work, dlink or whatever now so yay.

Dennis said:

lancast.jpg

Dennis, I tried to test squidcam and see if it rang on my videoconferencing equiment, it didnt. I checked their website and it did not mention of port 1720.

NightwarriorJin said:
Dennis, I tried to test squidcam and see if it rang on my videoconferencing equiment, it didnt. I checked their website and it did not mention of port 1720.

Did you use the Macintosh or PC version?

PC Version. It doesnt matter because the standard of ringing a H.323 device such as sorenson/dlink must be 1720, and it did not mention on squidcam website. They ask to open 19xxx something.

Yes theres software to use to make VRS call, however I got the useful information on how to use on Macintosh, and its
http://www.fedvrs.us/help/mac.asp

This info from fedvrs, however it will work any VRS and it just useful direction on where download drivers, software and etc.

To use SorensonVRS their IP address is hold.sorensonvrs.com

It can be use on NetMeeting too if you dial hold.sorensonvrs.com thats where VP-100 dialing to to VRS.

bgmk82j said:
Yes theres software to use to make VRS call, however I got the useful information on how to use on Macintosh, and its
http://www.fedvrs.us/help/mac.asp

This info from fedvrs, however it will work any VRS and it just useful direction on where download drivers, software and etc.

To use SorensonVRS their IP address is hold.sorensonvrs.com

It can be use on NetMeeting too if you dial hold.sorensonvrs.com thats where VP-100 dialing to to VRS.

Are you sure about this? Right spelling ? HOLD.SORENSONVRS.COM... I have never seen that one anywhere. Where did you get that from ?

Thank you

IloveVP said:
Are you sure about this? Right spelling ? HOLD.SORENSONVRS.COM... I have never seen that one anywhere. Where did you get that from ?

Thank you

Yes every VRS vendors has it own address to reach VRS..

Sprint VRS: sprintvrs.tv or csdvrs.tv
HOVRS: hovrs.tv
Hamiltion VRS: call.hipvrs.com
Sorenson VRS: hold.sorensonvrs.com

bgmk82j said:
Yes every VRS vendors has it own address to reach VRS..

Sprint VRS: sprintvrs.tv or csdvrs.tv
HOVRS: hovrs.tv
Hamiltion VRS: call.hipvrs.com
Sorenson VRS: hold.sorensonvrs.com

Pls tell me where you find hold.sorensonvrs.com. Any hard document.. Thank you

Call SorensonVRS from NetMeeting

I tried to call (hold.sorensonvrs.com) from NetMeeting but nothing so I assumed it is not such a thing like that. :dunno:

Do you know any IP address or domain name to get SorensonVRS via Netmeeting.

Yes, the squidcam for Mac OS X does support IP thing. I haven't tested to see if it picks up. It's the same as the Windows version in the screen shot. :)

Ichat doesn't do that, because it's AIM clone application. Though, Ichat can connect to HOVRS IM on Mac users.

Back