Webcam Cell Phone?

edtide25

Reaction score
Just curious, Is there a cell phone with a webcam available? Like you can use ASL to your friend on a webcam cell phone. Sorry I don't know much about cellphone. Feel free to laugh because i'm using a 10 year old big nokia cell phone. I really need a upgrade. Thanks for your attention. :D

in Japan yes they do have live video of talking to each other thru the cell phones....but here I don't know yet. It sounds kinda hard to sign and hold the cell phone at the same time so it might take a while to develop a compact hands free version.

in Japan yes they do have live video of talking to each other thru the cell phones....but here I don't know yet. It sounds kinda hard to sign and hold the cell phone at the same time so it might take a while to develop a compact hands free version.

Wow I never thought about using ASL with one hand lol, Ok thanks alot. I'll just go head and look around for a regular cell phone. :D

Wow I never thought about using ASL with one hand lol, Ok thanks alot. I'll just go head and look around for a regular cell phone. :D

Yes it is called 3G (Third Generation) by Sony Ericsson. It is very popular widespread in Europe. I do not see one in America. Some people said there is 3G in America already, I think they're full of bs.

Here's what 3G Ericsson looks like.

The Rogers Network in Canada has a video phone. I dont know if it is capable to sign on it since the movement with hands is a lot faster than the voice of a person ... Would love to try it

edtide25, your dream will become the realitic life of human eyes as fulfill when video (vrs) phone arrive in North America soon.. who knows. You hold your hopes. smile

We've been talking about it last year. DeafClimber mentioned that on blog about Nokia internet tablet w/ wireless b/g and bluetooth. What we were talking about was..

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecatty
I am hoping that one day they will have celluar adapter that allow us to video chat anywhere as long as it's within celluar network. I heard Japan is testing cell videophone.Catty

(DeafClimber)
yes, cingular/att is testing on video calling that deaf ppl call right now ( i cant say the details or i will be in trouble), needless to say, cingular/att will release video calling this coming june. too bad slow tmobile has not released its own new 3g network to pubilc yet i know tmobile has tested their 3g somewhere.

That's what we learned about it. I'm sure very soon in future, Cellular companies will start providing once it's 3G networked. I guarantee that it'll be a very dangerous driving habit with mobile VP LOL( try to sign both hand while using ur leg to steady steering wheel). Deafie on other end of line will see ur wide eye face w/ jaw dropped in split second before crash and see world tumbling around during crash LOL. It would be very useful BUT there will be a problem with companies where deafie works due to security/privacy reason. Again, hearing people will think Deaf are talking to themself in front of mobile device which are actually a mobile vp!!! Don't worry, they'll get used to it except those who are "old fashioned" people LOL. I hope the charges for mobile VP use would be reasonable..

Looking foward for it to come out!

Catty

there is problem that you would have to use one hand to sign while other hand to hold the cell phone while you wander around. Hmm.. and it's shaking, it would be much difficult for interpreter to understand your hand speaking.

there is problem that you would have to use one hand to sign while other hand to hold the cell phone while you wander around. Hmm.. and it's shaking, it would be much difficult for interpreter to understand your hand speaking.

ROFL, Agreed! Unless you place it on stable flat area. Or unless they include shake free program built in mobile VP (just like Digital Video Camea that have setting to turn on to steady the pix while ur hand shake like electric hand. :rofl: There are lot of places that deafie can place it on with built-in prop. Some place don't have anything to stand, maybe can glue neodynuim magnets (powerful cute litte magnet) to stuck on metal wall like refrigidator door magnet :rofl: :rofl: (Don't place it behind stranger's car or truck. Wish them real good luck chasing if owner took off. Betcha would be the best movie ever to watch at home VP and see how deafie chase w/ cops behind them. :rofl: :rofl: :bowlol::bowlol:

I bet cops would be on alert if they see hands flying on driver's side and device sitting on dashboard while driving with leg propped to steering wheel. I dunno if they will fine deafie 2x fines DWVC (driving while videochatting). It would be funny to watch deafie getting ticket (bring your popcorn and candy and enjoy watching it at home VP).

Or put it on Radio Controlled airplane and secure the Mobile VP and take off and do areobatic dive while friend tape it at their VP enjoying view before it crashes :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Maybe more fun on R/C car or truck and drive under car carriage before it get smashed by SUV Hee Hee hee.:giggle::giggle:

Catty

I own a Nokia N95, which has a videocall included - I own three videomobiles in the past) In australia, we have 3G video mobiles around already ;)

- if you want to avoid shaking and all. Try and ask a friend of yours, if your friend is around, to hold the phone for you or put the phone against something so the phone can stand itself. There is plenty of different ways to get the phone to stand itself or something so you can have a 'two hands conversation' via the mobile phone (cellphone)

Coming soon, to a Windows Mobile PDA Phone near you -- a bluetooth webcam.

Set the camera on a table or countertop a few feet away, launch the 2-way videophone app, and hold the phone in your other hand (or set it on the table/counter, if there's one available) while signing. Not quite perfect, but at least it's pocketable, and the other person will see a stable image of someone "sort of" using 2 hands to sign. :)

By the way, there is a lame, but semi-defensible reason why nobody makes 2.5G phones with streaming video capabilities (regardless of camera placement) -- the few that WERE made and sold elsewhere in the world had insane return rates.

Nontechnical consumers don't quite understand that a 2.5G phone with EDGE or 1xRTT might work fine if they're the only data user being serviced by the tower, but break down completely if there are "too many" voice calls, or even one more EDGE user being serviced by the tower at that moment. And they'll NEVER be able to do streaming video with GPRS or circuit-switched 19.2k CDMA data. So they do what clueless consumers usually do -- conclude the phone is "broken", return it, and bitch to everyone about how the phone was a piece of junk. Sad, but true.

AT&T Plans Major Expansion of 3G Wireless Broadband Service in 2008

Nation's first High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA)-enabled network by the middle of the year. The AT&T 3G network now delivers typical downlink speeds ranging between 600 and 1,400 Kilobits per second (Kbps), as well as faster uplink speeds, ranging from 500 and 800 Kilobits per second (Kbps). The faster uplink speeds allow AT&T's HSUPA-enabled laptop users to more quickly send large files and take full advantage of the latest interactive Internet and business applications.

I believe that some mobile or cellphone could work for video calling in our states. I hope soon. i will wait to see new mobile or cellphone with video calling this year.

AT&T Plans Major Expansion of 3G Wireless Broadband Service in 2008

I own a Nokia N95, which has a videocall included - I own three videomobiles in the past) In australia, we have 3G video mobiles around already ;)

- if you want to avoid shaking and all. Try and ask a friend of yours, if your friend is around, to hold the phone for you or put the phone against something so the phone can stand itself. There is plenty of different ways to get the phone to stand itself or something so you can have a 'two hands conversation' via the mobile phone (cellphone)

it's annoying and I would feel like I'm in movie as people look at me. "Oh, he is going to be in movie? I think I should be annoying by wave at them. bwhahaha"

Be very, VERY careful before buying an imported 3G phone. AT&T's existing 3GSM service uses 850MHz and 1900MHz for uplinks & downlinks (in 850/850, 850/1900, and 1900/1900 configurations). AT&T and T-Mobile's upcoming 3GSM services will use 1700MHz for uplink, and 2200MHz for downlink. 3G GSM phones meant for use in Europe and elsewhere use 1900MHz for uplink and 2200MHz for downlink. If you try to use one in the US, you'll end up with a very, very expensive paperweight that only supports GPRS.(*)

Eventually, the chipsets used by EuroPhones will probably support American frequencies, too... but life still won't be perfect. Most GSM chipsets now support 850MHz in addition to 900MHZ, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz, but most phones will REFUSE to do 850MHz unless the manufacturer spent the money to get it approved by the FCC. I expect the same to be true for 3G phones... they'll "all" have the latent ability to work in the US at 1700/2200, but only ones that some carrier is interested in selling (and spending the cash to get it certified by the FCC) will actually WORK in the US. The phone manufacturers won't spend their own money to do it, because the market for thirdparty cellphones in the US is almost nonexistent.

Making things worse, AT&T is likely to have 850MHz 3G for a LONG time. Adding 1700 and 2200 to phone designs that already do 1900 and 2100 is fairly cheap and easy. Adding 850Mhz is another matter entirely. I'm predicting AT LEAST 4-10 years of "GSM limbo", where someone with an international GSM phone that DOES support 1700/2200, but not 850MHz, will find themselves in the same position as a Florida Cingular customer with imported 900/1800/1900 phone circa 2004... it'll work in most big cities, but anywhere else will be a crapshoot. Worse, there are apparently some 3GSM phones (sold mainly in Scandinavia) that work ONLY on a 3G network and have NO support for legacy GSM at all. So if you found yourself in 850MHz AT&T-land, you'll have to either pay to roam or be phoneless.

In all honesty, if you want a phone that can do high-speed two-way data just about anywhere urban, and fast data just about everywhere else *right NOW*, you basically have two choices in the US: Sprint and Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile will both catch up eventually (2-3 years), but right now high speed GSM in America is a mess. Personally, I recommend Sprint... partly, because Verizon officially prohibits just about everything you'd actually want to do with it, and will cancel your data plan if you exceed 5GB per month (ie, they'll refuse to let you buy unlimited tetherable data going forward, but won't let you out of your base plan's contract without an early-termination fee if you decide to cancel THAT as a result). In contrast, as long as you upgrade to "unlimited data w/Phone as modem", you can pretty much do anything you want on Sprint, including tether the phone to your laptop via usb or bluetooth and 2-way cam (or remote desktop, VNC, host a torrent site, etc) all day.

----
(*) There was a huge discussion on HowardForums about the viability of T-Mobile supporting international 3G frequencies in at least SOME cities where they ended up owning a potentially valid pair of 1900/2100 frequencies after the last spectrum auction. The general consensus was that Tmo has no plans whatsoever to do it now, and couldn't do it until they managed to migrate a substantial number of existing customers over to new phones supporting 1700 and 2200 (because their existing 1900 channel block is already saturated by voice traffic). It's not inconceivable that they might eventually decide to do it in cities with lots of international visitors... but I wouldn't hold my breath. For one thing, Washington DC (the most obvious city where international-3GSM compatibility would be a big deal) isn't one of the markets where they actually own a valid channel pair.

it's annoying and I would feel like I'm in movie as people look at me. "Oh, he is going to be in movie? I think I should be annoying by wave at them. bwhahaha"

Yeah, right...:ugh3:

Be very, VERY careful before buying an imported 3G phone. AT&T's existing 3GSM service uses 850MHz and 1900MHz for uplinks & downlinks (in 850/850, 850/1900, and 1900/1900 configurations). AT&T and T-Mobile's upcoming 3GSM services will use 1700MHz for uplink, and 2200MHz for downlink. 3G GSM phones meant for use in Europe and elsewhere use 1900MHz for uplink and 2200MHz for downlink. If you try to use one in the US, you'll end up with a very, very expensive paperweight that only supports GPRS.(*)

Eventually, the chipsets used by EuroPhones will probably support American frequencies, too... but life still won't be perfect. Most GSM chipsets now support 850MHz in addition to 900MHZ, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz, but most phones will REFUSE to do 850MHz unless the manufacturer spent the money to get it approved by the FCC. I expect the same to be true for 3G phones... they'll "all" have the latent ability to work in the US at 1700/2200, but only ones that some carrier is interested in selling (and spending the cash to get it certified by the FCC) will actually WORK in the US. The phone manufacturers won't spend their own money to do it, because the market for thirdparty cellphones in the US is almost nonexistent.

Making things worse, AT&T is likely to have 850MHz 3G for a LONG time. Adding 1700 and 2200 to phone designs that already do 1900 and 2100 is fairly cheap and easy. Adding 850Mhz is another matter entirely. I'm predicting AT LEAST 4-10 years of "GSM limbo", where someone with an international GSM phone that DOES support 1700/2200, but not 850MHz, will find themselves in the same position as a Florida Cingular customer with imported 900/1800/1900 phone circa 2004... it'll work in most big cities, but anywhere else will be a crapshoot. Worse, there are apparently some 3GSM phones (sold mainly in Scandinavia) that work ONLY on a 3G network and have NO support for legacy GSM at all. So if you found yourself in 850MHz AT&T-land, you'll have to either pay to roam or be phoneless.

In all honesty, if you want a phone that can do high-speed two-way data just about anywhere urban, and fast data just about everywhere else *right NOW*, you basically have two choices in the US: Sprint and Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile will both catch up eventually (2-3 years), but right now high speed GSM in America is a mess. Personally, I recommend Sprint... partly, because Verizon officially prohibits just about everything you'd actually want to do with it, and will cancel your data plan if you exceed 5GB per month (ie, they'll refuse to let you buy unlimited tetherable data going forward, but won't let you out of your base plan's contract without an early-termination fee if you decide to cancel THAT as a result). In contrast, as long as you upgrade to "unlimited data w/Phone as modem", you can pretty much do anything you want on Sprint, including tether the phone to your laptop via usb or bluetooth and 2-way cam (or remote desktop, VNC, host a torrent site, etc) all day.

----
(*) There was a huge discussion on HowardForums about the viability of T-Mobile supporting international 3G frequencies in at least SOME cities where they ended up owning a potentially valid pair of 1900/2100 frequencies after the last spectrum auction. The general consensus was that Tmo has no plans whatsoever to do it now, and couldn't do it until they managed to migrate a substantial number of existing customers over to new phones supporting 1700 and 2200 (because their existing 1900 channel block is already saturated by voice traffic). It's not inconceivable that they might eventually decide to do it in cities with lots of international visitors... but I wouldn't hold my breath. For one thing, Washington DC (the most obvious city where international-3GSM compatibility would be a big deal) isn't one of the markets where they actually own a valid channel pair.

Good Info for everyone. They should know about it! :ty::ty:

Catty

Back