Wearing hearing aids to bed

Delville

Reaction score
I have always all my life wore hearing aids and I just got my Phonak Q50 UP's about a month ago and I'm hearing better then I've ever did before and really enjoy wearing them. But my question here is how many people wear there hearing aids to bed and what's the pros and cons on this. I just started wearing mine to bed about 4 days ago and the reason I do so is because we recently got a new puppy and when she whines at night to be brought outside to go to bathroom I want to hear her and with no hearing aids in I can't here her. I have a profound hearing loss in both ears.

My pros and cons are:
PROS:
I won't be stepping in pee or poop in the morning
I can watch t.v right up to the point of falling asleep without removing my hearing aids
There already in when I wake up
I can here the alarm clock go off
Something happens in the middle of the night , I will hopefully hear it
I have vents in my ear moulds so ears breathing isn't a problem
I have rechargeable batteries

CONS:
Hearing aids life span may be less
My tubbing will be getting replaced more often
My wind and Mic dust covers will be replaced more often

Seems like I have more pros then cons what does everyone here think.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

I never wear mine to bed. I wouldn't sleep comfortably on my sides with them. I also like the total peace and quiet. Anything that happens during the night, I deal with in the morning.

Former hearing aide wearer here. I, too, used to do that, and what would happen is that they would end up getting lost because I simply did not know what I was doing at night. Also, your inner ear might itch, too. That happened with me, and wearing hearing aides to bed was the cause of it.

You definitely do not want to wear them to bed. Your ears need to be able to breathe and dry out from wearing the HAs all day (the vents, even "open fit" aren't enough to do this).

Wearing the HAs at night will lead to ear infections and likely sores forming in the ear ... not good.

. I just started wearing mine to bed about 4 days ago and the reason I do so is because we recently got a new puppy and when she whines at night to be brought outside to go to bathroom I want to hear her and with no hearing aids in I can't here her. I have a profound hearing loss in both ears.

My pros and cons are:
PROS:
I won't be stepping in pee or poop in the morning

For her own safety, you should be crate training your puppy at night anyway.

Then you won't be stepping in anything in the morning, plus it hastens the housebreaking, as the puppy really doesn't want to mess up what she will come to consider a safe den.

My pros and cons are:
PROS:
I won't be stepping in pee or poop in the morning Im' sorry - how does hearing aids help you not step in poop. you use your eyes, not ears. Why would you have digusting stuff on your bedroom floor?!

I can watch t.v right up to the point of falling asleep without removing my hearing aids ok - i give you this one.
There already in when I wake up WHY?! you like listening to sounds when sleeping?! no sir thank you - i rather not hear a damn thing while sleeping
I can here the alarm clock go off Well -- by now you would have had a light or vibrating clock. I dont think your mind is trained that fast to repsond to sound alarm clock esp deep sleep
Something happens in the middle of the night , I will hopefully hear it you might , you might not I dont have a problem with this part but again its a personal preferance
I have vents in my ear moulds so ears breathing isn't a problem You would think so -- regardless of open,close, vented whatever -after your molds are one year old and you wear them 24/7 you sir are going to have uncontrollable itching and you will go insane... trust me.
I have rechargeable batteries :hmm:

CONS:
Hearing aids life span may be less it might- but the on/off switch will not be the first thing that breaks. I am not sure if you can put up with the solid HA pressing against your ear when you turn and sleep on that ear.
My tubbing will be getting replaced more often ?! ?! ?! I dont think sleeping with your tub is going to be a problem.. might be a fetish thing..to each thier own ..... lol - Im just joking -- I know you meant tubing. yeah it may need to be replaced to cracking after a year or two since you are unaware of twisting the HA when sleeping.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf[/QUOTE]

If you want the ha to last and no physical problems with your skin in /around the ear then take it off nightly. IMHO.

not necessarily bad hygiene.

But sleeping with the hearing aids in does present a situation where it does become uncomfortable to wear for that long...you have them in during the day for at least 12-14 hours already-- add another 8 or so (depending on your sleep time)...About the only time you'd have them off is in the shower (please tell me you don't wear 'em in there...eek).

As mentioned already-- the better trick is to have crate training. If you are already doing that and still want to take the puppy out when it whines/cries... I sort of get that but the puppy still needs to learn to control his bodily functions for longer periods of time rather than knowing "oh so if I whine any time, i get taken out".

Your choice though. I don't wear mine to bed as after a long day of too much noise (loud noise) and ear molds.. my poor ears need a rest. Especially recently with these new molds giving me sores (just took them in to get them 'ground down' a bit). Ears weren't exactly meant to have something in them...

I had a puppy and she never had an accident in the middle of the night , I took her right before going to bed , I find it uncomfortable sleeping on my side with my earmold digging into my ear. I will fall asleep with it on but not wear it to bed at night

I've never intentionally fall asleep wearing my hearing aid. It'd be too uncomfortable and then the ears need to "breathe" I also wouldn't want to risk breaking them somehow in my sleep.

Wearing hearing aids to bed is never a good idea and I don't see how you can avoid the mess your animals made during the night by having them on all the time. You need to see those...

Aside from being uncomfortable, if they were meant to be worn in bed, the hearing aid dealer/audi would have mentioned that at the fitting. They probably assume though that most people won't wear them while sleeping or taking a bath. I have no problem watching TV in bed or remembering to take them off. While I wear my hearing aids around the clock, removing them when needed is how they are properly maintained.

Laura

People, what the OP meant about the pee & poop is if s/he doesn't hear the puppy to take it out, there most likely will be pee or poop on the floor. If s/he leaves the HAs in and hears the puppy, s/he'll take the puppy out to do it's thing.
I agree with Botts about crating the puppy at night.

not necessarily bad hygiene.

But sleeping with the hearing aids in does present a situation where it does become uncomfortable to wear for that long...you have them in during the day for at least 12-14 hours already-- add another 8 or so (depending on your sleep time)...About the only time you'd have them off is in the shower (please tell me you don't wear 'em in there...eek).

As mentioned already-- the better trick is to have crate training. If you are already doing that and still want to take the puppy out when it whines/cries... I sort of get that but the puppy still needs to learn to control his bodily functions for longer periods of time rather than knowing "oh so if I whine any time, i get taken out".

Your choice though. I don't wear mine to bed as after a long day of too much noise (loud noise) and ear molds.. my poor ears need a rest. Especially recently with these new molds giving me sores (just took them in to get them 'ground down' a bit). Ears weren't exactly meant to have something in them...

sleep hygine mean anything from tv radio or lights on reading forgetting eye glass...it bad sleeping habbits rather than hygine from cleaning....the dog also got get good sleeping hygine habbits by not waking people up..i would not leave them in if still wore them but I have bad sleeping hygine bc leave tv on...sleep doctor told me that and apparently hot bath before bed is bad sleep hygine

I also crated my very young kittens when they were only 2-3 weeks old (rescues); they were too small to be left alone all night. And I wouldn't have heard them meowing if they got in trouble despite leaving HAs on at night.

My pros and cons are:
PROS:
I won't be stepping in pee or poop in the morning Im' sorry - how does hearing aids help you not step in poop. you use your eyes, not ears. Why would you have digusting stuff on your bedroom floor?!

I can watch t.v right up to the point of falling asleep without removing my hearing aids ok - i give you this one.
There already in when I wake up WHY?! you like listening to sounds when sleeping?! no sir thank you - i rather not hear a damn thing while sleeping
I can here the alarm clock go off Well -- by now you would have had a light or vibrating clock. I dont think your mind is trained that fast to repsond to sound alarm clock esp deep sleep
Something happens in the middle of the night , I will hopefully hear it you might , you might not I dont have a problem with this part but again its a personal preferance
I have vents in my ear moulds so ears breathing isn't a problem You would think so -- regardless of open,close, vented whatever -after your molds are one year old and you wear them 24/7 you sir are going to have uncontrollable itching and you will go insane... trust me.
I have rechargeable batteries :hmm:

CONS:
Hearing aids life span may be less it might- but the on/off switch will not be the first thing that breaks. I am not sure if you can put up with the solid HA pressing against your ear when you turn and sleep on that ear.
My tubbing will be getting replaced more often ?! ?! ?! I dont think sleeping with your tub is going to be a problem.. might be a fetish thing..to each thier own ..... lol - Im just joking -- I know you meant tubing. yeah it may need to be replaced to cracking after a year or two since you are unaware of twisting the HA when sleeping.

If you want the ha to last and no physical problems with your skin in /around the ear then take it off nightly. IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Hearing people do not hear someone breaking into their home I the middle of
night . The robber called the 'polite' the robber is breaking into people homes and watching them sleep . women been wakening up to find a strange man standing right next to their bed .:shock:

In my experience when I did fall asleep wearing my hearing aids was only in the off chance that I'd hear the alarm clock in the morning so my kids don't go late to school. (I've had like a million vibrating alarm clocks and even ones with light and either they break or I'm a heavy sleeper...) Anyway, I found that for me it wasn't good because my ear would hurt, often times get swollen and there would be pressure... I'd get a sore on the upper part of earlobe where the tubing connects to aid. I also found that sometimes it fell off (or I took it off when I slept?) and it'd be a pain to find in the morning. I remember I woke up panicking that I broke it or that I lost it. If you have no physical issues wearing them to bed, then by all means do whatever floats your boat. But the battery will not last as long (and batteries ain't cheap), the tubes will need to be replaced more often than normal.

In my experience when I did fall asleep wearing my hearing aids was only in the off chance that I'd hear the alarm clock in the morning so my kids don't go late to school. (I've had like a million vibrating alarm clocks and even ones with light and either they break or I'm a heavy sleeper...) Anyway, I found that for me it wasn't good because my ear would hurt, often times get swollen and there would be pressure... I'd get a sore on the upper part of earlobe where the tubing connects to aid. I also found that sometimes it fell off (or I took it off when I slept?) and it'd be a pain to find in the morning. I remember I woke up panicking that I broke it or that I lost it. If you have no physical issues wearing them to bed, then by all means do whatever floats your boat. But the battery will not last as long (and batteries ain't cheap), the tubes will need to be replaced more often than normal.

Thank you.

You're welcome! By the way, you're so lucky you have Phonaks. I've worn hearing aids my whole life and never heard of them. For my audiological eval for Cochlear Implants I got to try them on because they wanted to do an aided test with my hearing aids and see how I do and one with their Phonak hearing aids, and I was blown away. Absolutely amazing. I'd get them myself but my other audiologists gave me Oticon Chilli not bad, but the pitch is too sharp for me.

I wear my CI to bed many nights. I do so because the tinnitus is so incredibly loud. I plug my CI into my Iphone and play music. It definitely helps some. A few times my husband has been gone for the night, I wear my CI then too. Makes me feel safer that I can hear the house alarm etc.

Back