We have many advantages of being deaf

But the advantage I can point to is that I am more sensitive and understanding of other people's pain and sufferings. So my deafness has made me a better human being, not a defective one.

This rings very true for me. Also, I've had a former boyfriend asking me if his loud snoring bothers me (as his former girlfriends had complained). I haven't even realised he snored!:giggle:

Having the physical condition-deafness usually isn't something started by oneself. Dealing with the fact is your choice.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I have trained myself to observe all the more closely. I can usually make a good assessment of a person as to whether they are trustworthy or not, whether or not they are lying through their teeth. Like a sugar-coated quinine pill. Thanks for sharing...

Deep sleep for sure i sometimes don't hear the alarm. I can tune out noise and listen to my tape recorder on the bus by switching to bluetooth mood problem is it makes this really werid whizzing noise idk why but it does hard to explain. all my window blinds are closed at night so i don't usually see lightening and i never hear the rain unless i wake up for some unknown reason.

A deaf perk that I haven't seen on this thread.

I can tune out the sound of the drilling while at the dentist's chair. That kind of lessen the pain.

How about good real estate deals? Not everyone wants to live near the highway, airport, or train station.

True, my dad doesn't like where I live now because of the noise and Lee wants to move mainly because of the noise.

The noise doesn't bother me but the neighborhood does.

Kind of like me. I would hate in a lot of respects to leave this neighborhood and I live 1 mile away from the runway from an International Airport.

Thats my fave tuning out people if i don't wanna hear something i just turn the bluetooth and boom i don't hear anything but then a certain someone tries to say something and i have to be like one sec i need to switch HA(hearing aid)on.

It is nice to sleep thru thunderstorms very easy b/c of deafness. Heavy rain and high wind is just as bad. I'm very heavy snorer and cant hear myself snore. A lot of ppl do. Dog barkin' is bad when tryin' to sleep. :lol: Cant hear ppl talkin' near-by as you are sleepin' is very nice as well.

Hubby just about had a heart attack while we were out in the car. I always use the A/C since it's been so warm, but he wanted windows, so we did. Well, even at 1:30pm traffic was terrible and the SUV in front of me was not paying attention. She was sitting at a traffic light and it went green and still she just sits. I honk the horn, all other cars are honking their horns, then all of a sudden, I see in my rear view mirror and see a semi coming up fast, he hits his horns, all of them. I can feel the ground shake and my car is vibrating like crazy. Hubby has lost all color in his face and is silently saying a prayer, when all of a sudden, this SUV realizes she is the problem. She hightails it out of there, I hit the gas and squeal out of there and the semi is laughing his head off. Hubby didn't realize I could not hear all of this. I just saw that truck coming and getting larger and larger.

I am HoH, so these are a few instances when I wished I had no hearing:

Hearing a certain generation use the word "awesome" to excess.
Hearing, like, another generation, like, use the word "like", like every other word.
Hearing "educated" people say something like "me and him was going to the mall".

Needing a *cringe* emoticon here right now!

But the advantage I can point to is that I am more sensitive and understanding of other people's pain and sufferings. So my deafness has made me a better human being, not a defective one.

That applies to me so much. I'm hearing but autistic, and I think struggling with my own disability has made me very sensitive and helped me to be a gentler, kinder person. Being different makes you more sensitive to others who are too, which may have something to do with why I've decided to go to school to be an ASL interpreter.

good for you stormpraiser91 you sound very intelligent for someone with Austic. Which end of the autism spectrum are you. Do you have Asperger or is it classic autism? I am just curious. I believe your right being different makes you senstive to others disabilites. That's why I felt my OT of all people would be more understanding with me not hearing the door over the summer that she could be so insentive and ask me to put a sign on my door stating that im deaf. Her daughter wears a hearing aid in one ear so i just though she would be more understanding. and i worked with students in the disability classroom while i was at coop and really enjoyed it. i am in school to be a child and youth worker(CYW) and i grew up with having many disabilites especially in math. i was somewhat good in reading and writing but terrible when it comes to grammar. plus I have an ABI so it kinda affected my learning. but kuddos to you for learning to be an ASL terp.

Here's another advantage: I do not have to hear the crappy music coming from another person's car on the road.
There are young guys who soup up their little Hondas with these super duper speakers and when they pull up next to me, my car would vibrate from the bass of their music. sigh.
yeah the vibrations get annoying fast, sometimes even the apartment vibrates.
I can hear some of it but the vibrations even Lee notices and he's not that aware when he's occupied.

I love not having to hear their music :cool2:, but, Ugh :barf:, I hate feeling it.

good for you stormpraiser91 you sound very intelligent for someone with Austic. Which end of the autism spectrum are you. Do you have Asperger or is it classic autism? I am just curious. I believe your right being different makes you senstive to others disabilites. That's why I felt my OT of all people would be more understanding with me not hearing the door over the summer that she could be so insentive and ask me to put a sign on my door stating that im deaf. Her daughter wears a hearing aid in one ear so i just though she would be more understanding. and i worked with students in the disability classroom while i was at coop and really enjoyed it. i am in school to be a child and youth worker(CYW) and i grew up with having many disabilites especially in math. i was somewhat good in reading and writing but terrible when it comes to grammar. plus I have an ABI so it kinda affected my learning. but kuddos to you for learning to be an ASL terp.

Severe/profound autism with regards to my development... but I am very verbal and articulate. I sometimes choose not to speak because I am speech impaired and people make fun of the way I talk, but I have a decent vocabulary and I express myself well.

Back