We dont take relay calls, piss off

Problem I often see is that most "employees" who works for companies, they have what is called work performance. What it means that if a employee job is to take calls, boss "expects" this employee to take x number of calls per hour, with relay calls, it is almost impossible to meet that x number. That is the problem. These TTY relay calls takes forever to complete a call! That is why I believe VRS known as Video Relay service is best way to deal with this. I rarely get hang up with VRS, but got hanged up very often with TRS! This is a proof! I have done experiement and it proves that TTY takes forever to complete single call. In other word average call is 4 minutes for hearing person comparing to 50 minutes for TTY calls. so, meaning having only 1 call in an hour looks bad for employees, so employee rather lose that relay call to save their performance.

There is no way we can really win this case, sue them has no merit because your sue to "Generic" and there is no way we can gain control.

Best is to educate and use VRS!
VRS = Learn Sign Language

Sorry! I can only do IP relay... :(

I can't wait to sign up fo an IP CapTel (Captioned Telephone) service for my Pocket PC Phone...

Honestly... if you people would just provide some info before the call starts it would help out tons. Like all those freaking recordings you guys like to call... T-Mobile... Dell.. Doctors offices..
For the love of GOD provide your acct nbr, cell nbr, why you are calling the docors office.
That 50 minutes tty or ip call turns into a 10 minute call.

Oh and another thing to help speed up those 50 minute calls.. .try typing faster... or not pausing so much... some of you guys I swear I think type with one finger.

Want an even faster call??? WAit for the GA before you start typing. Because if you type in the middle of the opr typing we have to stop the voice user (sometimes) tell them what you typed then they repeat themselves... or they finish speaking... we say what you typed in the middle.. and then they are completely confused and just resay everything.

So if you are NOT ready for that T-mobile person to start talking don't type GA. And pls wait for it... it gets frustrating.

But if you want faster call processing.. Give us INFO

Oh and on another note... if I was a business I wouldn't take relay calls either unless I knew the customer.

All those damn nigerians making fraud calls and costing companies millions of dollars..

Quite often, I will try to provide that sort of info, and be told by the oper that it's not their job to "handle the call for [me]". True enough, I suppose ... my solution is usually to just copy and paste those numbers in from notepad.

As far as the feeling that we type too slow? I can tell you, some oprs' typing is pretty damn slow.

Seriously, if it's such a miserable job, why do you bother posting here?

Question... anyone of you VRS users, calling hearing people and got hanged up?

I wouldn't be surprise the word "rare" will often be the answer! I rarely get hanged up though VRS, and I frequently got hanged up though the TRS or IP relay! BIG difference. That is why I try to use VRS as much as I can, it works almost every time.

DHB,

Usually the typing speed is not the factor. Most of the time we type faster than TTY machine or baudot can handle so, when you type, and the end you will see lights remains on for few seconds after you finish typing, that is because the machine is catching up. No way can beat this limitation. These baudot can handle around 60 WPM, I won't be surprise many of you can exceed 60WPM easily.

Quite often, I will try to provide that sort of info, and be told by the oper that it's not their job to "handle the call for [me]". True enough, I suppose ... my solution is usually to just copy and paste those numbers in from notepad.

As far as the feeling that we type too slow? I can tell you, some oprs' typing is pretty damn slow.

Seriously, if it's such a miserable job, why do you bother posting here?

Usually the typing speed is not the factor. Most of the time we type faster than TTY machine or baudot can handle so, when you type, and the end you will see lights remains on for few seconds after you finish typing, that is because the machine is catching up. No way can beat this limitation. These baudot can handle around 60 WPM, I won't be surprise many of you can exceed 60WPM easily.

Is IP relay also limited by this? (Not that it changes my point - there's a lot of variability from opr to opr, and often it's more along the lines of latency than throughput.)

Please re-read again. I did not say EVERY time! Problem is that there are always technical limitation that most people don't realize that. There is no such thing as unlimited when it comes to technical issues.

If you do better research, and talk to hearing people who experience with these kind of relay service, I bet you, many of them would say it is darn slow!!!! I already witness myself, and I have been told by some hearing people that TRS speed is PATHETIC and crazy! They will NOT tolerate that! I can understand because I can NOT stand the speed of TTY.

Also, in the beginning of having VP, when I talk with my deaf friends, and got misunderstand I ended up having the conversation resorted to VP for clarification. This proves me that TTY is NOT realiable method of communication. I am not saying that TTY is no good, or lousy. It did serve us well in the past, and it is time to move on. IMHO

Bottom line in my view, we can NOT have everything our own way. In order for hearing people to accept relay, is to do both ways... If hearing people can not satisfy or accept, we can not force them. We can work with them to see what they wanted, and don't want.

Filing complaint against some people for hanging up TRS call is pointless. FCC will not enforce hearing people to "accept" TRS calls. As it is considered equivelency because there are many hearing people and deaf as well refused or hang up calls anyway. No difference there. Also, filing complains "scares" hearing people from deafies and can push them away and we all are gonna lose, that is something I don't want to happen.

Is IP relay also limited by this? (Not that it changes my point - there's a lot of variability from opr to opr, and often it's more along the lines of latency than throughput.)

Yeah unfortunately companies don't have any patience or just assume the worse...as an IP Relay Operator I got hung up on a lot and it was really frustrating because often times they thought it was either a Nigerian scam or they just didn't understand what a relay call was. I think businesses should educate their employees about relay. Especially if they want to help and keep their Deaf or Hard of Hearing customers.

As for the response - at our company with our technology that we use to relay we average 160 words per minute and we also don't require ga or sk. Which moves the conversation considerably fast. I often times believe it is the internet that makes such a lag and keeps even the IP Relay calls long. Also, some people forget to keep their sentences short which does in the end really keep the flow of the call going.

They probably just don't understand.

I've had that problem in my hometown.

In Rochester, it's fine. In Dallas, it's a problem. :(

On Thursday, I was calling the inspecting company to make an appt with an inspector to check the house. The line was busy the first 7 times I tried and finally I got a live person on the line. When the relay announced itself, the person said "Iam sorry..I am not permitted to take relay calls." Then that person hung up. I was so frustrated cuz I needed to get an inspector set up asap and I didnt have time to stay on the phone due to the demands of my job. Ugh! My husband had to call and set up an appt and the guy said that the company has a policy not to take calls from telemarkers. I explained that it was a relay call, not someone selling something but they kept saying "We cant take telemarketing companies so if u want to call us, call directly." I was like :confused: how can I call them directly if I cant hear the phone. That was so bizarre!

simplicty comes in 2fold EDUCATE GOES BOTH WAYS! here in hawaii on my island i go and educate poeple who are unfimilar with relay calls this way WE the poeple can tell them hey a deaf person is calling and its a legit call. then when i make the relay call I let them know im deaf in my own way, and if theres one i know that doesn't take relay calls i tell interp not to mention who i am. So thats the concept and u know VRS interp needs to get back to school many do not get the perception at all. took me 5 minutes to explain about one simple thing and i finally fed up told my own mother i would call her back with another interp on line that can understand so i called mom and told mom who i am and she said thank u at least no confusions! one woman was india and she BOTCHED up a simple relay call sheesh!

Yeah relay takes too long....

What I do is... figure out what I'm gonna say first...

then give relay opr the phone number...

and while the opr dial the phone number, I would type
out what I want to say....

Then when someone answer, I would push enter...

And then while the relay opr type, *you know they type real slow*..

If a relay opr type "may I have your name and....

Then hurry up and type in your name....

While Opr type, " and your home number?"

Then hurry up and type in your home number and
then push enter after ga.

So that way... caller won't have to wait long time.

On Thursday, I was calling the inspecting company to make an appt with an inspector to check the house. The line was busy the first 7 times I tried and finally I got a live person on the line. When the relay announced itself, the person said "Iam sorry..I am not permitted to take relay calls." Then that person hung up. I was so frustrated cuz I needed to get an inspector set up asap and I didnt have time to stay on the phone due to the demands of my job. Ugh! My husband had to call and set up an appt and the guy said that the company has a policy not to take calls from telemarkers. I explained that it was a relay call, not someone selling something but they kept saying "We cant take telemarketing companies so if u want to call us, call directly." I was like :confused: how can I call them directly if I cant hear the phone. That was so bizarre!

They probably didn't understand you're deaf? Donno. :eek3:

They probably didn't understand you're deaf? Donno. :eek3:

My husband explained that I am deaf and that was when they told him that I needed to call directly not thru a telemarker. That was so bizzare. My husband explained that I couldnt hear on the phone but it seems like they either didnt get it or were not listening to him.

Sometimes people think u are trying to sell them relay service which duh of course not but people hang up because they say s it takes too long or sometimes we have people who will sit and not respond for like 10 mins and then they will say something

I am a tty relay opr. Trust me when I say it can be frustrating for us too.... We get yelled at, screamed at, and are told that we are stupid... all while trying to explain to them they have a deaf/ hoh customer/ client/ patient on the line. We can't always type everything they are yelling and screaming because they go too fast. They often yell in our ears bec they are convinced if they yell loud enough that you will hear it! Half of them want to talk to our supervisors, ask us for our names (we repeat our opr nbrs), threaten to report relay to the police, ask relay to take them off their calling list, curse us out, and the list goes on and on and on. They also love to talk to the oprs (as if you are not there) and we just continue typing everything we can to them, all while trying to get them to slow down to be able to relay everything heard (even though many of us type over 80wpm verbatium) and that makes me want to personally reach through the computer and strangle them so NO ONE has to deal with them, including you :)

It is hard because so many people don't understand what relay is all about. Thankfully we have what is called CSI at my center, which means we can often break out of our script and explain to the hearing person in ENGLISH what is going on (vs the standard explaination for relay). CSI stands for Customer Service Iniative --- we can now announce calls as coming from a deaf or hoh person, which has helped a lot. Where I work, we can vary the script a little bit so we don't sound so automated or like a solicitor.

My favorite response when someone says they dont accept relay calls is, "Oh... so you dont take calls from deaf clients/ patients/ customers. I am sorry to hear this but this is not a problem sir/ madam, I'll gladly relay that to your caller. Thank you and have a great day!!" This usually freaks them out, they get all defensive, and then start yelling at me because I never told them you were deaf or hoh... but announcing the caller as deaf or hoh is not *standard* on every call! Sometimes shocking them into realizing they are outwardly denying services to the deaf and hoh population scares them into taking the call, however this often happens upon redialing multiple times.

Be reassured, many oprs will go to great lengths to try and convince companies to take your calls. Not all oprs will, but I know many people where I work will stand up to and defend the relay system on the phone to the UNDER-EDUCATED portions of society who have not a clue what relay is about. The only thing the oprs can really get in trouble for saying (without the callers permission) is to not hang up on the deaf or hoh caller --- but we can say almost everything else to try and convince them.

Alot of businesses these days do not want to take relay calls because so many of them are Nigerian Scam calls.
A funny story. One day I didn't have change to use a payphone, and my cell was broken. So I called my dad's work via my buddy list. Although EVERYONE at his work knows I'm hoh, they thought it was a scammer. LOL.

really makes me mad, this company just hangs up on me saying how they dont take relay calls, they gave a reason too "they just take too long" wtf is that?

THK U DIALING
8008456471RINGING 1...
(F)
(INTRO CALL PLS HLD)
were unable to do them due to time restraints so im the operator i cant wait for a responce we re just unable to take em
(CALLED PARTY HAS HUNG UP)

i complained to them about it last week and they said "oh the girl is new she thought it was an international collect call.." :pissed:

liars, i filed a BBB complaint for cust service issue, is there anything else i can do here?

maybe we should ALL call them and just drive them crazy with relay calls

Send them a letter telling them you'll never do business with them again. Tell them because of their insensitivity to your needs you are going to do business elsewhere.

Back