We are NOT disabled.

Geeze, I see this argument so many times. Handicapped parking is for people that have mobility disabilities not anything else.

Yea, I agree. It is so stupid if people who are capable of walking with no limitations think they are entitled to the handicapped parking spaces. I love to park as far away from the building so I can get more exercise in my day. :giggle:

In accordance to the Disability Act, Deafness is a disability. How one chooses to live with the said Disability is individual, and differs depending on circumstances. Before we start getting up in arms about Disability labels we should consider what that label affords us in terms of accessibility to a hearing world that would otherwise be out of reach. Consider a world without the Disability Act; it serves as protection of our deaf human rights.

I have no doubt that we can overcome our disabilities with glasses, Hearing Aides, interpreters, access to education, wheelchairs, braille, etc. However, because you've adapted to your disability doesn't mean the said Disability has magically disappeared.

I agree

Yea, I agree. It is so stupid if people who are capable of walking with no limitations think they are entitled to the handicapped parking spaces. I love to park as far away from the building so I can get more exercise in my day. :giggle:

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. YOU obviously know nothing about disabilities.

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. YOU obviously know nothing about disabilities.

Oh..u know me so well that u can safetly assume that I don't know nothing about disabiliuties. How funny is that considering that I am a teacher for deaf children with special needs.

Apparently, it is obvious u must have misunderstood my post. I don't know what statement u r referring to that is ignorant. If u r referring to the first one, I guess u must disagree with me that people who have deafness r entitled to park in the handicapped parking lots. If u think that is ok, your opinion but I disagree. Also, I don't think that was an ignorant statement since I think it was pretty valid.

If u r referring to my 2nd statement about me liking to park far and getting exercise. If u think that is ignorant, I think u need to chill cuz I was just being silly. It was about me not about anyone else so I don't see how it cud be taken as an ignorant statement.

Since I don't know u, I can't make any assumptions on what why you were rude to me.

Oh..u know me so well that u can safetly assume that I don't know nothing about disabiliuties. How funny is that considering that I am a teacher for deaf children with special needs.

Apparently, it is obvious u must have misunderstood my post. I don't know what statement u r referring to that is ignorant. If u r referring to the first one, I guess u must disagree with me that people who have deafness r entitled to park in the handicapped parking lots. If u think that is ok, your opinion but I disagree. Also, I don't think that was an ignorant statement since I think it was pretty valid.

If u r referring to my 2nd statement about me liking to park far and getting exercise. If u think that is ignorant, I think u need to chill cuz I was just being silly. It was about me not about anyone else so I don't see how it cud be taken as an ignorant statement.

Since I don't know u, I can't make any assumptions on what why you were rude to me.
Personally, I think Jasin misunderstood your statement and needs to reread it. You are right, that people that are unable to walk and are limping or in wheelchairs, elderly that have arthritis they are the ones entitled to the disabled parking spaces, not deaf people who can perfectly walk just fine into a store. Oh and on another post I agree that 'dis'(which means not or without, and 'ability' which mean can do a particular thing) if it is taken as that alone, deaf are without ability to hear, and not used to imply any other defect which there are none and not used to label people negatively, then yes, technically deafness is a disability of not being able to hear. That is all that means but of course we know society has added more to that term and broaden it to mean that people are disabled or somehow defective which is the disgusting part. And I can honestly say I wouldn't want to be labeled as that. I wouldn't want someone to same I am a disabled person cause I can walk talk think just fine. But I wouldn't be offended to say I have a disability with regards to the ear organ not being able to function properly. It's all in what you mean, but then again since that word is used properly and improperly it's probably better left unsaid that way there can be no reading into it in the wrong way.

I can state based on my own disabilities that most of you are just arguing semantics. I’m diagnosed as hoh myself and numerous agencies and personal physicians all consider this a disability.

I can state based on my own disabilities that most of you are just arguing semantics. I’m diagnosed as hoh myself and numerous agencies and personal physicians all consider this a disability.

Right...as I stated I believe I have a disability, the inability to hear, but I am not disabled cuz if I was disabled, nothing in my body would be working.

That is how I see it.

A person with a severe limp is disabled and cannot run in a marathon, yet a paraplegic can join a marathon in a wheelchair. I once knew a man who was legally blind who drove himself to work every day.

Legal definitions. Political definitions.

General usage.

When the general public uses the word they usually mean, "incapable of doing oridinary things."

There is no discrepancy between telling the SSI, "I am legally disabled" and telling an unthinking hearing person "I am not disabled." The deaf person is reacting to two different concepts even if they are the same word.

Most "disabled" people in fact have most in common with other minorities who are discriminated against based on race, creed, and/or sex. What they can't do isn't the real problem. The real problem is they are not given the opportunity to do the things they are capable of doing.

One place I worked at would not hire a qualified accountant because he was on crutches -- And the office assigned to that job was upstairs. To the bosses it was obvious, he could not climb the stairs therefore he could not do the job. So they gave the job to a less qualified applicant who played football. Nowadays the ADA might help him get the job, I don't know.

The problem is how do deaf people, their family and friends, convince the people who do the hiring that everyone should be allowed to do that which they are capable of doing and not be discriminated against based on what they cannot do.

I've tried on my own and it does not work. There is not one single job in my workplace a deaf person cannot do, yet the bosses stedfastly refuse to hire deaf people because "They can't hear."

Okay.. lemme see if I got this right.. Using myself as an example...

I'm deaf and I don't see it as a disability, i see it as a tool that can help me.. Yet there are gov't officals and doctors who would classify me as disabled?

If all that is true.. then why the heck was I allowed to work as a waitress for 8 years, despite the fact I'm deaf? If i'm disabled, I wouldn't even be working there.. because I can't hear what the elderly's orders were.. and what special items they would like. And I wouldn't be able to chat with the people there, make friends with the elderly people that I knew there. And gain a world of knowledge from some truly great people who went through a lot.

So I have to say.. Deafness is not a disability, unless you believe it is one. Personally, I think it's like having wings to fly, because it enriches your other senses. Anything that can be considered a disability, I believe is a new way of seeing things. That's Just my opinion.

Deafness is a disability, the severity of which is determined by the manner in which it limits everyday activities, to include communication, education, and employment. It is not, however, a handicap unless one chooses to make it so.

Deafness is a disability, the severity of which is determined by the manner in which it limits everyday activities, to include communication, education, and employment. It is not, however, a handicap unless one chooses to make it so.

AMEN!!

I think the problem people are having with this statement is that there are "invisible" disabilities, where the person looks perfectly capable of walking but has some other issue that necessitates him taking a handicapped parking space. I'm not referring to deafness, I'm referring to neurological and other disorders. This is a really big issue among people with invisible handicaps, because they get dirty looks on buses when they sit in the handicapped seats or in this parking space scenario. Just realize (and I'm talking generally, not just to shel) that when you see someone "walking normally," they may have many other serious problems that you don't know about.

I think the problem people are having with this statement is that there are "invisible" disabilities, where the person looks perfectly capable of walking but has some other issue that necessitates him taking a handicapped parking space. I'm not referring to deafness, I'm referring to neurological and other disorders. This is a really big issue among people with invisible handicaps, because they get dirty looks on buses when they sit in the handicapped seats or in this parking space scenario. Just realize (and I'm talking generally, not just to shel) that when you see someone "walking normally," they may have many other serious problems that you don't know about.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear...I should have said, people who have no reason even if they have some disabilities unrelated to walking limitations or those u mentioned above, use those disabilities, like deafness for one, as a justification to use the handicapped spots in the parking lot. If they have a disabling condition whether visable or invisable that limits their ability to walk far, I feel they deserve those spots. I have had some deaf aquantainces who feel they have the right to those spots cuz simply because they can't hear. I don't agree with that. If your senses or body r not impacted by a condition, then I really don't see a reason to take up those spots for people who do really need them.

Do they give handicapped placards to deaf people with no other physical or mental impairments? (Not being snotty, I just don't know the answer.)

Do they give handicapped placards to deaf people with no other physical or mental impairments? (Not being snotty, I just don't know the answer.)

Not that I am aware of. Just I know some deaf people with no other physical or mental impairments made such a big fuss on how they deserve it. That was what my earlier post about how stupid....was coming from and apprently I didn't make myself clear due to some ADers taking it in a different way. Happens sometimes. OOOPPS. :)

Hi, very new to this, only joined today. Having read this thread I ujust have to comment on the stupidity of some people. Was also once asked if I used braille but the one that really takes the cake was the woman, who on hearing I was married, gasped and said "how can she be married", she was then informed I had 2 sons, bigger gasp " how can she have children" well gosh thats the first time I heard that ears were sex organs!!!!!

Also have to agree with the comment (cant remember author) regarding people thinking signing to children is cute. Dont sign myself but many times have had people just gush over the very ordinary things I do, like sewing, driving etc.

I always say I would rather be deaf than brain dead.....as so many pp I meet seem to be.

Your teacher is deaf?
I am not sure why she would think that deaf are disabled especially since she is in a class of a deaf teacher...
Why would you take a class where the teacher is deaf if you feel that way about them?

Possibly because not everyone thinks disability is a negative thing? :roll:

That's true for me. Yes, I have a disability but I dont let it stop me from achieving my dreams. Yes, while I was growing up, it made life difficult for me and it wasnt until later that I realized why. It was cuz, at the time, I identified myself as "hearing" and was obsessed with functioning like a hearing person. Once I accepted my deafness and some limitations, I overcame those limitations and now my deafness is not really an issue like it was before. It is not a big deal to me anymore.

Back