ways to avoid the traffic ...

Reaction score
:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_HJ1IJWz7Y]HOW TO DRIVE A HUMMER IN IRAQ - YouTube[/ame]

This video was taken years ago when there were frequent IED attacks, sniper shootings, and bombings. SOP for Humvees and convoys was to keep moving--don't make yourself a vulnerable target. Also, they were honking their horn the whole time, giving warning of their approach (if you couldn't see them). I could hear their conversation, and there was no laughter or hooting from them. A couple times they sounded exasperated with the people's responses.

This video was taken years ago when there were frequent IED attacks, sniper shootings, and bombings. SOP for Humvees and convoys was to keep moving--don't make yourself a vulnerable target. Also, they were honking their horn the whole time, giving warning of their approach (if you couldn't see them). I could hear their conversation, and there was no laughter or hooting from them. A couple times they sounded exasperated with the people's responses.

When I lived in Northern California I would honk my horn when driving on the mountain when I came to bend in the road , if another car was coming the other way they would not see me until it too late to do anything. Both cars could end up going off the mountain's side .

The way people drive in my city that my not be a bad idea having a hummer.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem there are many cars with turbocharged engine in Iraq. If there were, the Hummer driver wouldn't have to press on horn as often as he/she did.

Honk-If-Youre-Horny-_b.jpg

Wow.... They just move.... I'd stay there.... you want to rear end me, fine... stay on me and I'll slow to 10MPH.... :mad:

Funny thing is the HMMWVs have turbos, but they are very loud and don't offer noticable power, especially in the uparmours. I remember being tasked out to pick one up from a depot and bring it back to my unit, we were on the motorway and on a slight incline doing maybe 25MPH and that was flooring it, when we hit entirely flat ground, we were able to get it up to about 55MPH but that turbo was loud as hell the entire trip and it was a very long trip. I did enjoy the motorpool's modified canvas top HMMWV, it was super responsive and fast.

Wow.... They just move.... I'd stay there.... you want to rear end me, fine... stay on me and I'll slow to 10MPH.... :mad:

I remember my brother told me about the few times he opened fire when he was in Iraq (He went twice). He said they were operating a checkpoint and they signaled a car to stop but it kept coming, the kept signaling, but it wouldn't stop. He was in the turret, but grabbed his rifle off the mount and fired at the car's engine, as soon as he fired and hit the car, he said it swerved all over the place and turned around and sped off.

If you were in that video situation, they would ram your car and an uparmoured HMMWV will seriously mess up your ride and do nothing to the HMMWV. Having driven all types of HMMWVs while I was in, I can vouch for that.

Depending on unit SOP, they may or may not open fire if they can justify being threatened. But I digress. The Army stopped this practise after the government had to start paying for damages they were causing or at least that's what I was told by the Army when I saw this video back in 2008 at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. as part of a convoy security class.

why in the god's name would you just stay? don't be a problem. I despise it when people don't know when to move especially on left lane with cars behind them. that's what a right lane is for. it's a courtesy and a state law (assuming that if your state has one) to move if you see someone behind you.... and it's safe for everybody.

MOVE! :mad2:

that's why I loathe New Yorkers driving in NJ. they must be the stupidest drivers I've ever encountered. exactly how they get driver license? I have no idea. a few times - I've acted very aggressively on them. It confounds me to no end why would they not move over if there are cars behind them. IT'S THE LAW TO MOVE OVER!

I find it quite amazing how cooperative drivers are in Europe and even in poor countries like DR. they always yield and make room for drivers and bikers behind. I had a good time driving in DR and there were tons of slow drivers because their vehicles were old but they always make room for others to get ahead of them. so why would you be an ass and just stay there? MOVE!

dear Jiro, I will not criticize nor is it my intention, but I'd like you to note that there are some fundamental differences: 1 - is a military vehicle designed to withstand powerful explosions, not to plug the car. 2 - the video was made in iraq, when drive among potential car bombs constituted a direct threat to U.S. military tasks. 3 - drive to NY or another city in the U.S.A. is totally different from Iraq: in New York, there are the same dangers and risks that were found in Baghdad.
I will say more: if in U.S.A. see people driving badly, it is because they have not received a strict education or come from countries where the driving license is donated without criteria (example: India ....)

This video should not be seen as an excuse to criticize other problems, but only to play or to make people laugh, that was my main true intention.

in friendship :)

dear Jiro, I will not criticize nor is it my intention, but I'd like you to note that there are some fundamental differences: 1 - is a military vehicle designed to withstand powerful explosions, not to plug the car. 2 - the video was made in iraq, when drive among potential car bombs constituted a direct threat to U.S. military tasks. 3 - drive to NY or another city in the U.S.A. is totally different from Iraq: in New York, there are the same dangers and risks that were found in Baghdad.
I will say more: if in U.S.A. see people driving badly, it is because they have not received a strict education or come from countries where the driving license is donated without criteria (example: India ....)

This video should not be seen as an excuse to criticize other problems, but only to play or to make people laugh, that was my main true intention.

in friendship :)

right. we've already went over this in details long while back. a very old news. what they did was professional. what private defense contractors did were unprofessional. they were shooting randomly at any cars and laughing.

why in the god's name would you just stay? don't be a problem. I despise it when people don't know when to move especially on left lane with cars behind them. that's what a right lane is for. it's a courtesy and a state law (assuming that if your state has one) to move if you see someone behind you.... and it's safe for everybody.

MOVE! :mad2:

that's why I loathe New Yorkers driving in NJ. they must be the stupidest drivers I've ever encountered. exactly how they get driver license? I have no idea. a few times - I've acted very aggressively on them. It confounds me to no end why would they not move over if there are cars behind them. IT'S THE LAW TO MOVE OVER!

I find it quite amazing how cooperative drivers are in Europe and even in poor countries like DR. they always yield and make room for drivers and bikers behind. I had a good time driving in DR and there were tons of slow drivers because their vehicles were old but they always make room for others to get ahead of them. so why would you be an ass and just stay there? MOVE!

That's why you bought the motorcycle to beat the rush hour.

Why Humvees dont add the strobe light?

cuz, so they don't have discos while they're supposed to be driving lol

in NZ, under law, and general recommendation, if you're holding up traffic, it is suggested you move to far left of the road (or far right for you right-side of road drivers) to allow other motorists to pass with safety (and don't speed up, just let them pass)

so Jiro's right...while there may be variations of driving laws state to state so whats mandated as Law to let tailgaters to pass safely could vary, citizen aren't law enforcers, leave that to public servants )police, cops, traffic cops)

Back