:wave:

Marj

Reaction score
Hmmm?

Hi! I'm a newbie so call me Marj...

It's an M on the heart.

anyway I have this thing bugging me... but first let me explain something

A while back when I was younger (I'm 17) I used to be afraid of going outside or to stores alone because I didn't want to run in a hearing person because if he happened to talk to me and sees that I couldn't reply or didn't understand him, he'd see me as freak...I know I know I sound :crazy: but It had an major impact on my social skills.. I took up counsueling cuz of my granny said that she was getting worried about me and stuff.

That was years ago. Now I'm pretty popular in my school, ASD, (american school for the deaf) in west hartford...

I've been wondering if this has been a problem for one of youse?

:naughty: Marj

Last edited:
No, it hasn't really been a problem for me. If a person looks at me weird, then it's that person's problem... not mine.

NO cuz I can talk.......I didnt even know I was deaf, just that people just couldnt understand me LOL..........

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
NO cuz I can talk.......I didnt even know I was deaf, just that people just couldnt understand me LOL..........

that to me sounds totally deaf racial bias! me i have had an occurance when i didn t relize someone was deaf or i was not relized by the hearing person that i was deaf, i would just simple point to my ears and shake my head and immeditely have them write EVEN though i can talk i perfer it written down never know if i miss somehting important.... SO thats the way i survived in my world!

I have had similar problems however sometimes ppl dont recongize me as a deafie bc i read lips and talk so thats the other thing

yes that's a good skill: reading lips.. but suppose you read it wrong and said something that would piss that person off? Happened once to me and I ended up with a bruise on my face =\

I'm hearing, an interpreter-to-be, so I hope you don't mind if I reply.

Before I fell in love with sign, I worked at a Sears Optical putting myself through school at the U of Wisconsin and I had several Deaf patients. When I would say hello when they walked in, they would point to their ears and gesture for a piece of paper to write with, I never thought anything bad about them. In all honesty, I felt bad about myself that I couldn't sign with them and they had to use paper! So, from the opinion of one Hearie, Marj, it was always my self-esteem at risk in those situations!

Naw, I m the type who doesn't really care if a hearries talks to me, im more likely to wave them off n go on with what I was doing

because I didn't want to run in a hearing person because if he happened to talk to me and sees that I couldn't reply or didn't understand him, he'd see me as freak...I know I know I sound but It had an major impact on my social skills..
I'm killing time right now, as I've been up for hours and I'm going to go to the mall in about an hour, so thought I'd reply to some old posts.
I'm only hoh, but I've been through that too. Most hearies can understand me pretty well, but I'm always afraid they won't be able to understand my speech..as my speech is VERY "deaf" sounding...and there are situtions where I can't always understand speech (like people with low voices or people who really don't speak clearly)

Back