Water for Elephants

amandaraemay

Reaction score
Have you seen it? If yes, what did you think about it? Have you read the book? I'm interested in what other people think about the film. In general, and compared to the book :)

Read the book and it had a huge impact on me, won't watch the movie. Rosie, the elephant in the movie, was electro-shocked during the training for the film. Ironic.

Here's the link to the film. Movie star electric shocked on Vimeo

I wasn't aware of that. :hmm:

Yes, I read the book a couple of years ago...long before the movie was even mentioned. I doubt that I will see the film either. Generally, when I have enjoyed a book as much as I did that one, I am disappointed in the film.

Just finished reading the book. Very very interesting!

Yes, I read the book a couple of years ago...long before the movie was even mentioned. I doubt that I will see the film either. Generally, when I have enjoyed a book as much as I did that one, I am disappointed in the film.

I definitely agree. I saw the movie before I read the book. I loved the movie, and loved the book even more.

Usually, when I read the book first, I'm almost always disappointed in the movie :roll:

I definitely agree. I saw the movie before I read the book. I loved the movie, and loved the book even more.

Usually, when I read the book first, I'm almost always disappointed in the movie :roll:

Yep, makes me feel like I wasted the price of a ticket...and they certainly aren't cheap!:giggle:

Same here.

Guess I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Reading the book first, it's easy to make up the characters, the scenery, the general atmosphere, in our minds. No movie, no matter how good, is ever going to match that.

If I see the movie before reading the book, I can never read the book "with innocence" - can never read it without picturing the characters and the environment as shown in the movie. Usually that's a detriment, but not always. I saw "The English Patient" before reading the book, and enjoyed both book and movie.

Read the book and it had a huge impact on me, won't watch the movie. Rosie, the elephant in the movie, was electro-shocked during the training for the film. Ironic.

Here's the link to the film. Movie star electric shocked on Vimeo

Shameful. These people should be given the shocks instead. I wonder if the people involved with the movie was aware of the abuse the elephant endured prior to the filming.

Shameful. These people should be given the shocks instead. I wonder if the people involved with the movie was aware of the abuse the elephant endured prior to the filming.

I have no idea how dumb they could be to miss the signs.
Off topic, but remember Clyde the orangutan in Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose" movies? He was beaten to death with a stick by its trainer. :mad:

Read down a little ways to the comment by Thomas Reynolds.

I didn't see that the first time. So, it wasn't Clyde but another orangutan that was beaten to death. That makes me feel better?

No, not at all! I just like accuracy, that's all. I think it's horrible that an animal was treated like that.

Back