Watch-bird?! ;-)

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
That's right...my parents' house has a watch-bird now. When my mom told Grandma about it, their theory is it's a wren.

This bird lives on our porch light under an overhang, and what a great place to get away from the winter and get a nice little hot pad to sleep on!

The really funny thing is, the bird knows us now and we can walk all around underneath its light without its panicking or flying off or making a sound. But once when a neighbor showed up, the bird flew in his face!!!

Just thought I'd share that to lighten things up a little. :)

I don't have a patience for serious bird watching but I do love to watch their antics just out the window into my backyard ..

Fuzzy

I see tons of birds around here in Seattle, tiny little birds like sparrows, wrens, etc...black-birds, crows, seagulls, pigeons, a few eagles and hawks. I saw big swarms of birds flying together in the sky before sun going down. It's interesting to see different kind of birds flying all around the city. *grins*

Interesting to read your post about the "watch-bird", Rose :)
I remember when I was a little girl my grandparents had two geese in their yard and these geese acted like guard dogs. They would chase unknown people coming into their yard away. They would bite on people's legs if they came too near to them. Seriously!

Smiles - sounds cute...we had a rooster on the farm - it was a very good bird, but whenever Dad came to the farm...the bird would make a beeline for poor Daddy-O... and peck on his legs. We often had to shut the rooster in the chickenhouse the whole time Dad was on the farm...heh heh
:giggle:

After, I wanted to be vet at age 15.. I went to Vet dr who knew sign languages.. He welcomed me to his clinic.. for the day.. I spend alot of quality time with animals in my life.. nurse it back to health, make their wounds better and release in wild life.. found snappers eggs, hatched them and release in pond.. found bird eggs, hatched, nurse for few days and let foster mother come rescue.. (successful)... every year, we get 10-20 ducklings and release in wild in our pond..
After long day, he intived me to operation room to watch cat getting declawed and neutered.. All i remembered, I was standing and watched.. I felt all faint rushed in my body and dropped on floor.. few minutes later, I threw up.. my dad came and get me to go home, I told dad.. I dont want become a vet.. I want become a bird watcher.. in that summer, I went to BWCA camp and wildlife camp, to learn about birds and studied them..
one year later, my dad said.. Well Annie, I just want to let you know that being Bird watcher dont earn money as busgirl at Embers.. I was like.. oh.
but still remember birds and stuff in my heart.. they are wonderful and always bring my day if i see them..
In winter time.. help them... set up bird feeder and stuff fats mix with peanut better and seeds in onion bag (net).. and hang.. it will fat them up and warmth.. if possible put bird houses near garage where the most spot dont get wind... (most placed on anything tree or garage which face east) cuz most winds coming from north northwest and south west.. rarely from east..
if you have old cereal sitting for while.. toss that out in backyard.. birds will love them.. and breads will be great..
whats more I sometimes save grass from lawn mow.. put in boxes let it dry.. and put it out in winter time, in case birds need to add their nests ...

same with squirrels.. I saved leaves maybe 2 bags.. and one a time in two months, i break the bag open.. to let them collect leaves..

its going to be very cold this winter.. we already had our below zero temps already..

Back