Washoe has died

Levonian

Reaction score
Washoe, a female chimpanzee said to be the first non-human to acquire human language, has died of natural causes at the research institute where she was kept.

Full article

:cry:

Thank you for telling me of this bad news. I had finished reading "Next of Kin" not too long ago. I found the book at the library used book sales. This book is both funny and very sad.

Awww :( RIP Washoe! Washoe County that's where I used to live in for 15 years! So I know UNR though :) Washoe taught younger ones signs...how cute of her teaching her 'kids' signs!

Thank you for telling me of this bad news. I had finished reading "Next of Kin" not too long ago. I found the book at the library used book sales. This book is both funny and very sad.

I just found out about this yesterday. It saddened me just as much as the loss of a personal pet, perhaps even more. She was only forty-two; I wish she could have remained with us for decades more—some captive chimps have. My only regret is that I never had the opportunity to meet her. Booee lives at a wildlife refuge not too far from my home. The sanctuary has been closed to the public for several years now, and I despair at the thought of not being able to someday make his acquaintance before he also passes on. However, I now have renewed motivation to do so, and I will make it a priority above all others to somehow make it happen.

Back