Wanting to learn

Oracle

Reaction score
Hi. At the risk of sounding ignorant, I am hear to learn about the deaf community and about sign language. I am ultimately looking for someone who will, of sorts, become an online tutor for me. i am not taking formal classes, this is mostly for my own benefit. I used to be a relay operator for Sorenson IP Relay and have always been fascinated by the deaf and hard of hearing community. I am looking for someone who has the time and patience to attempt to teach me via video chat. i am not looking to "hook up" or by any means to make it a sexual experience, but do hope to gain a good friend who wouldn't mind teaching me so I can teach my daughter. I appreciate any responses and hope to find someone out there who can become a lifelong friend.

Oracle, just go to the sign language class and there will be other students willing to practice signing with you in person. On-line signing is not a good option. Also you need to go to the deaf events and do some signing with them. If your daughter is deaf, then that is great that you can sign with her. Right on! ASL :rockon:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

No my daughter isn't deaf, but I have taught her sign since she was very little. She is three years old and I work from home, and because I have taght her a bit of what I learned through classes I was able to take at school and from working at SIP relay, I have a way to communicate with her that has done a great deal of good I think. As far as the One Line signing, I am not sure what that is.

Edit: Sorry, read that wrong, on line signing :P

I guess the more I think about it, the main reason I am here is I used to have friends within the deaf community, but between my schedule and being a single mother with multiple jobs, I don't have the time I used to to attend the events that are available within my area. I thoroughly enjoyed the time with those friends, and wish to regain that level of friendship, and while not being able to get out as often as I would like, I have come to learn that people online can be every bit as friendly as those in my community, sometimes more so.

Your best bet is a real class. Videos (like learning on skype) doesn't show ASL in its real 3d form. In person is the best.

Yes, and i have taken real classes, and wish to continue to do so when I can afford, for now I guess this is just my way of trying to reconnect with a community that I have always admired and respected.

:welcome: to AD and hope you find someone to chat online to practice your signing skills.

welcome to AD:) hope you find friends on here..there are a lot of hearing ppl on AD:)

thank you all for you warm welcome, I will check back often and am also on skype, if you would like my information let me know.

Thank you for the link, reading through the posts it seems like a very good opportunity and am very glad to see you on there!

Back