want to learn ASL, where do i go?

miles11we

Reaction score
I am a hearing person really wishing to learn ASL, mainly so i can interact and communicate easier with other deaf people that cant speak clearly and read lips. i was wondering where i should go to be able to learn to sign easily and free.

got any free favorites that u normally recommend to friends or others?

I would recommend finding a free class at your local school/university. A lot of community schools and local schools will offer ASL classes for free (or for a low cost). I took my first class at a middle school. Just ask around ^^

Other then that, for practice, you can study online. It's nearly impossible to teach yourself ASL without real interactions, so a class will help. Here are some sites that I used to get started.

ASL Browser (online video dictionary of signs):
ASL Browser

ASL University:
• ASL • American Sign Language

Practice reading fingerspelling at different speeds:
Dr. Bill Vicars' American Sign Language (ASL) Fingerspelling Practice Site

I hope all of these help ^^ Of course, there is more, but these are great starters.

Good Luck! :D

thank you very much, its just that i live in the middle of nowhere Michigan and the classes are not quite so plentiful, but ill look harder

thank you very much, its just that i live in the middle of nowhere Michigan and the classes are not quite so plentiful, but ill look harder
Sounds like Hubby--he's from Lansing. :lol:

Hi Im Joe I am an ASL student at Lansing community college and they help set up local Deaf chats (usually at biggby coffee places) they are free to come and are lots of fun. I would suggest find the closest city with a Biggby there and ask about the deaf chats

Back