Want to be an Interpreter but I think I have a small problem

shortie90

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Ashley. I'm studying at a private university in Sign Language Interpreting Studies. I will finish up in one more year with my B.A.

My problem is I'm double jointed in my fingers.

Can I still become an interpreter?

That's a very strange question. Probably the strangest one I've heard on AD in a while...

If you know how to sign clearly, then you're fine. Yes, you can still be an interpreter...

Have your instructors said anything was wrong with the way you've been signing? If not, then I don't know what the problem would be.

How could you go three years to an interpreting program, since you say you graduate in a year, without knowing if you can sign well?

It seems to me that you might like to attend to any deaf events and see for yourself if you think you can do it or not.

No nobody has said anything. My teachers say I sign well, I just didn't think of it till a couple days ago.

I just I ask because I just wanted to be safe. Thank-you for the advice.

Now that is funny! I am deaf and also double-jointed. No problem with signing, thank you.

No nobody has said anything. My teachers say I sign well, I just didn't think of it till a couple days ago.

I just I ask because I just wanted to be safe. Thank-you for the advice.

hhmmmmm.... did somebody just point it out?

Hello, my name is Ashley. I'm studying at a private university in Sign Language Interpreting Studies. I will finish up in one more year with my B.A.

My problem is I'm double jointed in my fingers.

Can I still become an interpreter?

well... let's see...

a few weeks ago - I attended a deaf show and the guy on stage signed about a wonderful story about his life..... and he has only one arm.

a few months ago - I went to Disney Walt for vacation and I had a terp for the show..... and her hands were abnormally small for her size and didn't move like normal hands.

a few years ago - I started signing and my hands are somewhat arthritic

All above.... we were able to understand them and they were able to understand me. You'll be fine. Since you're becoming a terp for living - clarity is important so it doesn't hurt to ask an expert to review your signing style to improve your clarity but don't get too self-conscious about your signing style

:dance:If you are receiving your BA then there should be nothing standing in your way. I too am enrolled in the ITP program at my school and want to become an educational interpreter. Being double-jointed has nothing to do with the way you interpret. Double jointed simply means you can bend your joints more than the average person and when signing I don't know where the need for this common ability would take place. Hope this helps.

ha, ha, think of the cool signs she could do that nobody else could. lol talk dirty to me!!

Sometimes your finger tips sort of "lock up" if you're double-jointed. I have this issue, and my fingers used to "lock" when I was playing the piano. Pretty much ruined any hope of my becoming a concert pianist!

That, and a general lack of talent....:lol:

Sometimes your finger tips sort of "lock up" if you're double-jointed. I have this issue, and my fingers used to "lock" when I was playing the piano. Pretty much ruined any hope of my becoming a concert pianist!

That, and a general lack of talent....:lol:

I was a pianist despite of my small hands :lol:

Hey that's interesting. As long as people understand you when you are using ASL, then there should be no problems.

Back