Wanna Help the FBI crack a code?

Since he was writing coded notes since he was a boy, I'm surprised that they couldn't find one of the old notes that perhaps a family member could attach context and therefore some meaning to. Then, with a base established, they could build off of that.

Then again, it could be a red herring. The notes could be meaningless symbols from a mentally ill mind. It's common for mentally ill hearing people to speak in meaningless jumbles of words, and mentally ill deaf people do the same thing with real signs in wrong usage, or totally made up signs. That's something interpreters working in mental health settings have to be aware of.

I wish the copy of the note was clearer. Even the version on the link wasn't clear enough. (Right now I'm not home and using my baby netbook, so maybe that's limiting my view.)

If it is a real code and someone cracks it, that would be interesting.

It reminds me of the Navajo Code Talkers during WWII. The enemy could never crack their "code" because it wasn't really a code in the usual sense. It was their native language, mixed in with a few specific code names for military terms.

Since he was writing coded notes since he was a boy, I'm surprised that they couldn't find one of the old notes that perhaps a family member could attach context and therefore some meaning to. Then, with a base established, they could build off of that.

Then again, it could be a red herring. The notes could be meaningless symbols from a mentally ill mind. It's common for mentally ill hearing people to speak in meaningless jumbles of words, and mentally ill deaf people do the same thing with real signs in wrong usage, or totally made up signs. That's something interpreters working in mental health settings have to be aware of.

I wish the copy of the note was clearer. Even the version on the link wasn't clear enough. (Right now I'm not home and using my baby netbook, so maybe that's limiting my view.)

If it is a real code and someone cracks it, that would be interesting.

It reminds me of the Navajo Code Talkers during WWII. The enemy could never crack their "code" because it wasn't really a code in the usual sense. It was their native language, mixed in with a few specific code names for military terms.

I think he was autistic. There is definitely a pattern in the code. The letters "CBE" are redundant. Maybe a letter is supposed to represent another letter? If that were the case, the FBI should have been able to crack it.

He could be seeing these letters in colors or music

We did have this informatoin before sending out to public. We couldn't figure it out at all.

Maybe it references a person in his life that he 'felt' like he was connected to but wasn't? With this being FBI-related, I am sure they have exhausted every possible route.

Perhaps the FBI should send this code to autistic savants who might detect the pattern. :dunno:

Perhaps the FBI should send this code to autistic savants who might detect the pattern. :dunno:

With this being released to the public, I am sure that is what they are hoping for at the least.

Is there a larger version of the code? The picture in the article is pretty small, I can't read it...

It won't be easy at all. Does anyone remember the unabomber?

The FBI couldn't crack Ted Kaczynski's own code without the help of finding the manuscript in his cabin, they had personally admitted this in the past. There was a lecture I was in last year that had officials who worked on the now decommissioned documents of the Kaczynski case, and some evidence in the presentation were ones I had never seen photos of on the web, don't think anyone can even find many of them because it was federal material. Ted wrote in strange ways and on each bomb package, he wrote a combination of numbers - later revealed by a master key kept locked away in some box in his cabin. That key corresponding with his journals, the date, and location, and target the bomb was set to kill. No one could have deciphered it - there was a tidbit about how he added a number +100 (or 1000) to the year for every instance.

here we go, I found a copy of one of the transcripts and his code sheet somewhere online. They're tough to find.

code2.jpg

Example

343i06w.jpg

Master code sheet

Back