Walmart bans man for matching ads

Very sorry about my error :).

It seems like the customer in this thread went over the line. I think that was what caused the arrest.

It seems like the customer in this thread went over the line. I think that was what caused the arrest.

Walmart advertises that you can ad match. This guy was ad matching. If there is a limit to how much you're allowed to do, they should decide what that limit is, and include that information when they advertise that they match ads. It sounds like they never did this. They just didn't like how much this guy was taking them up on their offer, and they arbitrarily cut him off.

That seems pretty creepy to me. If they want the good publicity of being known as a company that matches ads, then they should honor that offer. If they want to set limits, they should be clear about that. But they seem to want it both ways: "yes we offer this way to get lower prices" but also "no this guy can't do it that much."

I think they shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways (the good reputation, but also refusing to honor their offer.) That's why I'm glad someone published this article exposing them, and that's why I posted it here.

I would compare it to coupon clipping. Stores honor coupons, sometimes offering to double/tripple their value, and you can buy items that are on sale with a coupon and get a really good deal. Some people clip lots of coupons and watch the sales and make a study of it. You'll see it in the news sometimes "Customer gets $120 worth of groceries for $6.73!" Or whatever. They don't throw these people out. If they don't want anyone doing that, they should put an extra line in their ads, maybe "coupons may only represent 30% of total sale" or something like that. But it's ok, they don't need to do that, because they allow people to use the program without restriction.

What if they, unannounced, told a housewife that she couldn't have her groceries because she clipped too many coupons? No warning, just all of a sudden cut her off from the store? What if she got upset when that happened, wouldn't that seem like a natural reaction? I think Walmart really screwed this guy over. Oh, and if the parallel is to be followed, lets make her a disabled person too. Ugh.

Back