Walk through the door into the new world [lengthened article]

Ruliya

Reaction score
In reference to this article, there are three different versions: the school local newspaper, my blog and here, the forum. Yesterday, I contrived to attain a spot in the local newspaper section about my day. By Alex's rules, I removed my blog name and link to my blog. Notwithstanding, if anyone here is curious about my blog, private message me, I'll gladly give you the link as long as you do not publicized it in here.

I got in!

I had never been that excited about taking any classes until the ASL Level One class where I barely got in. As to follow some AD members's suggestions, my employer granted me a LWP [Leave With Pay] day and after consulting with my guidance counselor, I was determined to take the course in American Sign Language to learn how to sign. Last Tuesday morning, arriving at the nearly vacant ASL Level One classroom [school starts next week], I met a deaf professor in a Hart Schaffner Marx suit who fastened his attention on the spread of papers on his desk. I was unsure how to get his attention. I bent down and waved in his face and it caught his attention. While I was astounded by his fairly young face, I managed to smile at him and he smiled back. I handed him a registration paper along with a note I wrote politely begging him to let me in since the classroom was crammed. He read my note and he wrote back that a student dropped out and there wasn't any problem for me to enroll in. I could barely restrain my excitement while he signed my papers.

Again, while we smiled to each other, we shook hands but I had a lot of questions on my mind. I didn't want to leave and eagerly inquired to him about ASL and deaf culture. Translucently, he could tell by the look on my face, I had a lot of questions to ask and he gestured towards the chair. I pulled the chair to sit down, and then swiftly wrote on the papers about many things I wanted to know about ASL and deaf culture. Surprisingly, he cheerfully answered every question including some stupid questions I threw at him. Funnily enough, I pictured the scenario in my mind; in a dark room, whereas I was dressed up like an FBI agent and "grilled" him while the hot and bright white spotlight was aligned and pinpointed down in his face. De facto, with an incredibly warm atmosphere around him, the way he displayed his attitude and answered my questions somehow struck me that he was Theseus or alternatively, Theseus was Joseph. Theseus, was that you who I mercilessly grilled? "Joseph" was the deaf professor's pseudo-name since I hadn't asked him for permission to publicize his real name. While on the "Theseus" subject, he was so helpful on hearing to deaf approach etiquette. A few days ago, he sent me a private message with elucidation as regardng to the deaf culture, and as noticably valuablable, I printed it and memorized it. Personally, I'd advise him to make a new thread and post what he sent me because his "guide" is so useful for hearing people who are new to ASL or deaf culture.

Back on topic, I still wasn't done with my questions. We lost all track of time and it was lunch time for Joseph. I was asked if I still had more questions and I had so I was invited to eat with him at the cafe. It was where and how "Revelation" fell upon me. After a silly quarrel we had about paying our lunches where I offered to pay for our lunches since he passed up his free time to answer my unceasing questions. Once he gave in, we found a good spot to sit and eat. I'd say about 20 minutes later, during which Joseph taught me some new basic signs as to answer my ASL question, I overheard some juvenile remarks from other hearing people near Joseph. It was a "Beauty and The Deaf and Dumb" remark. Now and then, there were a few more "Beast" jokes about Joseph and his deafness or ASL. While in these times, I had pondered about it, was that what many deaf people unknowlingly or knowingly had been dealing with the whole of their lives? Was that what they soaked up or put up with this kind of hogwash from some hearing people? Who were they to judge deaf people as "dumb"? Why was bigotry and ignorance the foremost darwinistic emotions they exhibited and thrived on? Why don't they understand something "alien" to their socioculturally "in-the-small-box" milieu? Distracted for a few seconds, I stared back directly in Joseph's eyes where he still gestured with a soft smile. It occurred to me that he sure didn't know what the f$#k was going on.

Given the consideration that I'm arguably a very rational person, the sharp red hot anger flared up in my chest. I held up my left hand to cut off Joseph and adjusted my position while sitting to the voices I had overheard. There were three men sitting 180 degree opposite from where we sat. I quietly gave them a short lecture and briefed them that Joseph had B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of Arizona and plan to recieve a Ph.D degree one day. "Dumb" wasn't in his vocabulary in any way, nor any juvenile remarks they made. As I gave them hell, with a few gestures I pointed to Joseph. Thereon, their smirks vanished and one guy who made a few remarks held his hand high and waved in Joseph's direction, asking me to interpret what he said. It was an apology. Given the lack of ASL skill, I wasn't signing what he said but wrote it down. When it was all but done, before I adjusted my position back to Joseph, I gave them a cold smile. Jerks. Thought to myself, I matter-of-factly did what I never thought que sera sera.

Joseph tilted his head and shrugged his shoulders with a facial expression whereby I clearly understood; he didn't understand what was going on. I was going to gesture "nothing" [that's one of few ASL signs I know, ha!] but I stopped myself cold. I recalled what I read in the thread posted by Your Mom whereby saying or gesturing "nothing" was considered to be rude to deaf people when inquired. Per our notes, I illuminated the remarks they made about him and the lecture I gave them. Unexpectedly, he grinned and wrote down, "You're walking in one shoe that deaf people walked in and you partially understood what deaf people feel." Without delay, he alluded to hearing people that I shouldn't be furious at their limited understanding owing to the hearing milieu they grew up in. Joseph also accentuated the fact that I made a conscientious choice by educating my peers in lieu unfurling my anger at them whereby it hadn't helped deaf people in the past. In another half hour of chitchat, we made an appointment to see him again, this evening, to hash over some aspects of the socioculturally difference between hearing and deaf culture, and then we parted.

Given the full awareness of his warm characteristic smile and good-natured manner, the ASL Level One class will be an enjoyment for me this Fall. I cannot wait. That was my day.

On the part of this subject, Joseph connoted to check the multi weblogs site insomuch as they may examine what forums hadn't. He further recommended me to give weblog a try prior to adding a hearing "pro-ASL" voice to multi weblogs. I agreed upon his engrossing idea and he helped me set up the weblog.

My article already been posted at my weblog and submitted through the multi weblog site, respectively. I'll respond to the posts in my other threads and private messages. I promise.

I'm leaving to see Joseph about the socioculturally difference that I mentioned above. Everyone, have a wonderful weekend!

Special thanks to: NFGTragedy and Theseus for elucidated posts on ASL, hearing to deaf issues and etiquette

Heartily thanks to: GraysonPeddie, ~SG~ and VamPyroX for Closed Caption topic

Warm thanks to: everyone who responded to my unceasing questions.

forget to add

Oh! One more thing, the chatter with Joseph confirmed almost everything what NFGTragedy and Theseus dissertated over in my other thread. I wasn't saying that I don't believe what those articulated "usual suspects" said, I do! But it was out of curiosity whether or not if Joseph'd offer a different perspective regarding to friendship and relationship with deaf people and hearing to deaf approach etiquette, however he didn't. All the more reason there will be another sociocultural dialectic about hearing to deaf relationship this evening whereas I find it enthralling to hash over. Concerning the multi weblog site, there were a few blogging articles on hearing to deaf relationship but it seems none of them actually took on the challenging issue as a member's thread currently does.

I applaud as well as admire you for the actions in which you felt somewhat compelled to take upon with those 3 guys who thought nothing else better to do than to ridicule such people like 'Joseph'! There are times whereas I've overheard a comment or two and I'll make a swift stern stance whereas those who have made such irrational and harsh comments will usually leave with a better and renewed sense...one that will hopefully (in most cases) cease in the way they 'see' others like the Deaf/HoH who is as 'human' as anyone else!

It's with great interest that you're indeed in search of 'answers' and obviously even more so when 'Joseph' took the time to do so. ;)

Wishing you the very best and much personal satisfaction, gratitude as you pursue your studies in class this fall! 'Success' is indeed attached throughout your quest. :) Btw, congratulations for 'getting in'!! :thumb:

~RR

I am appalled to read your story about these three damn people. They were jerk. I realized that I have forgotten about this kind of situation when I meet some deaf people at a restaurant or outdoor shopping area along with brunch of young hearing people. I guess that I get used to deal with the environment. Well, don't worry about them. In my mind, I wish that I could force their head in their friend's ass. :giggle:

An interesting thread here.

As to the people you dressed down, they were typical of many people viewing what they don't or won't understand. It crosses into all areas and even many of us here are guilty of it as well. How many of us have spotted some kid misbehaving and said "What an incompetent Mom"? or an evil chid that needs a good beating to straighten him out.... Or spotted some person acting strangely and thought they were drunk or stupid without any prior knowledge of them. What about avoiding the mentally ill person crossing our path?

It's a typical human reaction. Most of us on the receiving end just get used to it. It's not that easy fighting the world endlessly.

Some of us learn to turn it around.

As an example, in Australia we have a comedian who goes by the name of Steady Eddie. Eddie suffers cerebral palsy. Most of his humour centres around his condition, but many laugh at his jokes. He laughs at himself and as a result, others like us laugh with him and we begin to see the human being and become more interested in him and what he has to say. It seems to take away the awkwardness we feel when a person like him walks into the room.

I have a lot of respect for the guy, however many of his fellow sufferers find him embrassing and express disgust at what he is doing. I think they've just missed the point.

Eddie has a lot of "normal" friends who treat him as one of them. When it's Eddie's turn to buy the drinks at the pub, he's expected to bring them all to the guys as they do, although the carpet gets a healthy drink as well!

I believe that people are generally conditioned from the start that anyone who is different is to be regarded with suspicion and for some, derision and prejudice, and we learn to change our opinions if we choose to as we grow older. Even us with disabilities are just as guilty at times.

First of all, props to ur exquisite writing style which describes in brilliant detail all that has transpired. Second, I don't know why Interpretrator and SxyPorkie did the :iough: without offering an explanation. There is nothing wrong with having more curiosity, desire, and drive than the average human being.

Educating rather than merely yelling at these hearing students was the right thing to do. You showed them that a deaf person could be very educated, holding two degrees.. in fact, your deaf professor may be even smarter than the average student because deaf students have more challenges to face in an university setting, because they cannot take their own notes nor communicate easily in a group setting, and must search for alternative methods when the normal structure of education fails for them. Ignorance is a two-way street. Deaf people can be ignorant/unaware of hearing people talking behind their backs, but hearing people can be ignorant about speech skills and language skills not being a true reflection of a deaf person's own intelligence. Joseph, ur teacher, seems to have good English skills, but even if he didn't, he may have a very powerful conceptual way of thinking through pure ASL that is like skimming and quickly giving the information to you in condensed tidbits, very rich in volume. Deaf people can communicate quicker and as efficiently as hearing people in this way. It's like the Deaf have found a shortcut in visual communication that hearing people haven't. I think that human beings should know how to use all 5 senses to the maximum if possible--to convey the most information in the least amount of time.

In addition, the language is exquisite and beautiful. Fluent ASL is like a whole form of artwork by itself, adding more and more to the picture as it goes along. It has more dimensions than you thought a mode of communication could have!! You can play around with the signs, creating new signs as you go along, and ASL-users will still understand you. Example: the word 'long' is normally used with only the index finger sliding up the opposite arm (top of arm), but it can be used as a joking manner by switching arms at once and doing the same thing going the opposite way down the arm! You can understand ASL even when it's used playfully.

I encourage you to keep up your drive to learn more about ASL and deaf culture from your ASL professor and any other deaf people you may encounter. Of course I'm not the professor, but you're welcome and keep the questions coming. :) :) :)

Back