Walk Score (www.walkscore.com)

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

I'm very curious to know your walk score (just don't tell everyone your home address).

Mine is 48 out of 100. I'm just a walk-away from Tallahassee Community College, but everything else is car-dependent!

* 90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
* 70–89 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
* 50–69 = Somewhat Walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
* 25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
* 0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!

The Walk Score shows that my area is at 49 out of 100.

Yeah, I can't drive, either.

When it comes to grocery shopping, sometimes I have to use public transportation, but I always use it when I get back home. Publix is 1.8 miles away from my home. The hill along the Tennessee Street, including the hill that leads down to Ocala Street (between Pensacola Street and Tennessee Street) are cumbersome for me to walk. I even have to babystep down the hill from Publix toward Ocala Street, even when carrying groceries.

But when I move to Orlando, Winn-Dixie will be 0.9 miles away from an apartment (according to Google Maps' walking directions), where it's right across the street from Valencia Community College. Walk Score says I'm 0.66 miles away from home to Winn-Dixie, but that's like walking through trees (as the crow flies). That'll be 63 for me. For me, since all I'll be visiting mostly is Valencia Community College, followed by Winn-Dixie. So, that's when I'd consider this very walkable. I may not care for areas that are less than .25 miles away from me, so I'm fine for walking for less than a mile, as it's a very good exercise for me.

fifty five, it's surprising considering I live maybe a half mile away from a strip mall with absolutely everything you need :/ Is half a mile only "somewhat walkable" nowadays?

Walk Score: 38 out of 100 — Car-Dependent

Not surprised.

Back