Wal-Mart announcement tells 'all black people' to leave store

I like walmart......Just not when it is crowded.

update from CNN

Wal-Mart customer: 'I can't go back in'
Wal-Mart customer: 'I can't go back in' - CNN.com

Victoria Arter was outraged when she heard the announcement over the Wal-Mart loudspeaker.

"Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers," she said a male voice announced. "All blacks need to leave the store."

"We waited and waited. Some people just left their carts in disgust and said they couldn't believe it," Arter told Philly.com, a CNN affiliate.

It was busy shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday at the Turnersville, New Jersey, Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Arter, a 29-year-old assistant bank manager who is black, didn't know what was going on, but she was not happy. Neither were other customers, who began dialing their cell phones and demanding answers from managers. Some were just quiet, still in shock at what they'd heard.

A few moments later, a store manager got on the public address system and began apologizing and contacted the local police.

This week, authorities have said they're investigating the episode as "a suspected bias intimidation crime."

Arter frequently shopped at the Wal-Mart, but she won't go there any longer, the told the Philadelphia online news source.

"It could have led to violence," Arter told Philly.com. "It could have triggered someone who was having a bad day. I don't want to be an innocent bystander to something because of someone's not-so-funny joke."

"I can't go back in," said Patricia Covington, who was also in the store and spoke to Philly.com. "I went to Target instead. I can't bring myself to go back in there."

She and her friend Sheila Ellington were checking out when they heard the announcement. An attorney, Ellington is also a member of the Gloucester County Minority Coalition.

Both were frightened, unsure of whether the person on the microphone was going to do something violent.

"This voice was controlled and confident," Ellington told Philly.com. "It didn't appear to be a prank."

The discount chain is "just as appalled by this as anyone," Wal-Mart corporate spokesman Lorenzo Lopez said. "Whoever did this is wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner."

Police and prosecutors are reviewing security camera video from the store. Any of the 25 in-store telephones could have accessed the public address system, although not all phones are within range of surveillance cameras, authorities said.

It's unclear whether the tape will be made public to help identify the speaker. The store has 700 employees; many are part-time. Some of the store's telephones can be accessed by customers.

Obviously a prank by some dumbass punk, whether it be a teenager or something. Regardless of age, he/she is a dumbass nonetheless.

It's not that hard to figure out how to use the PA system, it's either by observation or you can find that info on the internet and go prank Wal-Mart. Either that, or it was from a former employee who knew how.

"I can't go back in," said Patricia Covington, who was also in the store and spoke to Philly.com. "I went to Target instead. I can't bring myself to go back in there."

It's a stupid prank and they all act like they all got shot. Whaaaaaa, my feelings got hurt. They're all scared for their lives over a stupid prank.

"This voice was controlled and confident," Ellington told Philly.com. "It didn't appear to be a prank."

Oh please! :roll:

Yiz

It's obviously a prank by an individual, and not a Wal-Mart policy. Customers shouldn't blame Wal-Mart. It could have happened at any store or public venue.

I'm sorry, but in all my years in retail (25 years), I have seen way too many black folks overreact all too often.

If I get called to run the register because of lack of people available to open another lane, they get me on one. So, I have had these following experiences;

Two black females come to my lane and start eying me up and down, acting as if I am totally beneath them, in which gave me a "WTF?" moment.

A black dude, well dressed in a suit, comes to the fast lane, I ring up his items and I look up to see him disappear, then found him heading for the customer's service desk and watch him screaming and making aggressive body language and he's pointing at me.

Then a Team Leader follows him to my lane, my hearing-aid picks up his screaming tone of his voice as the Team Leader's hair is flying. I then read the Team Leader's lips, "Excuse me sir, but this employee is deaf." He stands there stammering and he looks at my side and sees my hearing aid. He gives a FU attitude to me and the Team Leader and walked off, leaving me to cancel his transaction and throw his items into the return cart.

Apparently he said, "Hello" when I didn't hear him or realized he said something, he automatically assumed I'm racist because I didn't respond to him. So he goes flying off the handle.

And this one I heard from a co-worker who was assigned to the "Cafe Espresso" for the day and she got accused of being racist when she asked if he wanted his coffee black or with cream. :roll: So calling coffee "black" is racist now, huh?

I'm sorry, but it seems that from not only experience, but also from reading on the news and such, the black community is all too often carrying their "race card" everywhere they go.

This "race sensitive" thing is going too far and this Walmart thing def shows a good example of what "overblown" really means.

I'm not gonna be surprised that lawsuits will be filed against the Walmart store in the coming weeks.

Speaking of that, I wonder how much "racist" lawsuits are backlogging the court systems that there are?

Yiz

I'm sorry, but in all my years in retail (25 years), I have seen way too many black folks overreact all too often.

If I get called to run the register because of lack of people available to open another lane, they get me on one. So, I have had these following experiences;

Two black females come to my lane and start eying me up and down, acting as if I am totally beneath them, in which gave me a "WTF?" moment.

A black dude, well dressed in a suit, comes to the fast lane, I ring up his items and I look up to see him disappear, then found him heading for the customer's service desk and watch him screaming and making aggressive body language and he's pointing at me.

Then a Team Leader follows him to my lane, my hearing-aid picks up his screaming tone of his voice as the Team Leader's hair is flying. I then read the Team Leader's lips, "Excuse me sir, but this employee is deaf." He stands there stammering and he looks at my side and sees my hearing aid. He gives a FU attitude to me and the Team Leader and walked off, leaving me to cancel his transaction and throw his items into the return cart.

Apparently he said, "Hello" when I didn't hear him or realized he said something, he automatically assumed I'm racist because I didn't respond to him. So he goes flying off the handle.

And this one I heard from a co-worker who was assigned to the "Cafe Espresso" for the day and she got accused of being racist when she asked if he wanted his coffee black or with cream. :roll: So calling coffee "black" is racist now, huh?

I'm sorry, but it seems that from not only experience, but also from reading on the news and such, the black community is all too often carrying their "race card" everywhere they go.

This "race sensitive" thing is going too far and this Walmart thing def shows a good example of what "overblown" really means.

I'm not gonna be surprised that lawsuits will be filed against the Walmart store in the coming weeks.

Speaking of that, I wonder how much "racist" lawsuits are backlogging the court systems that there are?

Yiz

:gpost::gpost:

Yiz

good posting but i would agree it....walmart workers must respect :deaf::deaf::deaf::deaf: as customer

They say the same thing about deaf people too -- we overreact, that is.

I hardly ever see that. That's a strawman argument and it's not holding up. If a deaf person do overreact, they're far few and between.

What I do see an overreaction is from the black community and it happens all too often. Just watch the news. Especially from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Oh I won't be surprised they call the media about the Walmart incident and make a statement in the coming weeks.

Yiz

I hardly ever see that. That's a strawman argument and it's not holding up. If a deaf person do overreact, they're far few and between.

What I do see an overreaction is from the black community and it happens all too often. Just watch the news. Especially from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Oh I won't be surprised they call the media about the Walmart incident and make a statement in the coming weeks.

Yiz

Sometimes I do understand where they are coming from.

A 16 year old kid.

The youth - whose name was not released because
of his age - was charged with harassment and bias
intimidation for the incident last weekend in
Washington Township.

The boy was released into the custody of his
parents after his Friday arrest.

"This was an extremely disturbing event on many
levels," said Gloucester County Prosecutor Sean
Dalton. "Any statements like these that can cause
harm or grave concern must be addressed as
quickly as we can."

Authorities said it was unclear if the announcement
was ad-libbed or premeditated and said they were
investigating a second youth who accompanied the
arrested teen to the store.

The incident drew national attention after a male
voice came over the store's public address system
last Sunday and calmly made the shocking
announcement.

"Attention, Walmart customers: All black people,
leave the store now," the voice announced.

A manager quickly commandeering the microphone
and made an apology, but outraged customers
complained to store management.

Walmart officials condemned the incident, saying
the behavior was "unacceptable."

lmcshane@nydailynews.com

LOL -- True! I shop either Walmart or Target when it is slow, probably at closing time. I don't shop after midnight, I rather stay at home.
Your Walmarts have a closing time. :shock:

Back