VRS software for Linux?

Watermelon

Reaction score
oh well i did tried that linux videophone versions and they are all sip and cost $$ to use sip service i did manage to run sightspeed dellchat window version running under wine in linux as for other windoze vp apps they have problem running under wine sigh!! they better start making linux version ,u know macosx is gnu linux ! and xmeeting is an example

*snip*u know macosx is gnu linux*snip*

Mac OSX is not GNU/Linux. Do they looks and act similar...yes. Mac OSX's kernel is Unix based, but noy GNU/Lunix. The Mac OS X kernel is called XNU, which is more closely related to BSD than anything.

Try using Ekiga, It's free.

anyone tried LINPHONE? it works on any OS point to point.. even IP address from vp to Linphone.. try it..

try using iwrelay.com/cloud... It works! on linux. NO issue on my Ubuntu 10.10 which I am using now. I'm Happy now!!

Catty

does convo and iwrelay cloud works as convo to vp, or etc? just wonder that would be blast..

You can use Convo if you use Firefox in Linux. It should work if you have webcam set up in Linux. Find it in Convo

Why ask for VRS software on Linux? I thought Linux are suppose be super-brain on how to built own from scratch. I find it sad.

I guess Convo is the only one that can have VRS on Linux which Firefox can work in there. Linux is only an open source operating system much different than Micro$oft. :shrug:

Why ask for VRS software on Linux? I thought Linux are suppose be super-brain on how to built own from scratch. I find it sad.

Yeah, VRS software developer aren't trying to learn Linux Programming that they could have new software in Linux's Software repository or Software Center in Ubuntu. Sad isn't it. They're not aggressive enough to jump in and be the "first". I"ve sent strongly worded message to ZVRS and I have not heard it from them yet. Any Linux programmers out there, reverse engineer those 'doz' software :evil: :lol: (j/k)

Cloud relay like Conovo or IWrelay are better than NONE!!! As long as you have good webcam that works with Linux and up to date Flashplayer are all you need. Simple as it.

Catty

The thing about Linux is, it is "UNIX" equivalent Operating System. UNIX was made to provide robust services i.e. web server, email server, file server, ftp server, etc. Back in old days UNIX was created to help automate the telephone systems which eventually led to network system. Since then it progressed into satellites, military mainframes and other mission-critical systems and linking them together. UNIX are built from scratch starting from NETWORK. Since network is so important to our needs, an operating system MUST BE reliable. They are used transparently, therefore general population do not use them, because UNIX doesn't benefit their common needs.

Windows and Mac (before OSX) was from scratch starting from GRAPHICAL user interface (GUI). GUI's objectives are to allow user to perform their duties with ease i.e. word processors, spread sheet and so on. Since there are so many low-end users, those operating systems became so popular. Mac looked at UNIX as the most reliable operating system and decided to include it into their software, which is a smart move. =)

So why do I use Linux? It is because Linux, like UNIX counterparts, provides utilities that I find so useful as a tool to do various tasks that helps me to accomplish things in little time. Such as awk, sed, grep, MySQL, and etc. It helps me to automate batch processes something that it will take you HOURS to do on Windows even with EXPENSIVE software.

Now my point here is, neither Linux nor Windows suck, they exist for a specific reason. So, in this case, unfortunately, since Linux is (still) NOT widely used by general population, there are not enough demand for VRS providers to produce necessary software for Linux.

The thing about Linux is, it is "UNIX" equivalent Operating System. UNIX was made to provide robust services i.e. web server, email server, file server, ftp server, etc. Back in old days UNIX was created to help automate the telephone systems which eventually led to network system. Since then it progressed into satellites, military mainframes and other mission-critical systems and linking them together. UNIX are built from scratch starting from NETWORK. Since network is so important to our needs, an operating system MUST BE reliable. They are used transparently, therefore general population do not use them, because UNIX doesn't benefit their common needs.

Windows and Mac (before OSX) was from scratch starting from GRAPHICAL user interface (GUI). GUI's objectives are to allow user to perform their duties with ease i.e. word processors, spread sheet and so on. Since there are so many low-end users, those operating systems became so popular. Mac looked at UNIX as the most reliable operating system and decided to include it into their software, which is a smart move. =)

So why do I use Linux? It is because Linux, like UNIX counterparts, provides utilities that I find so useful as a tool to do various tasks that helps me to accomplish things in little time. Such as awk, sed, grep, MySQL, and etc. It helps me to automate batch processes something that it will take you HOURS to do on Windows even with EXPENSIVE software.

Now my point here is, neither Linux nor Windows suck, they exist for a specific reason. So, in this case, unfortunately, since Linux is (still) NOT widely used by general population, there are not enough demand for VRS providers to produce necessary software for Linux.

Sure but not enough demand is a copout and untrue. Creating this software is absolutely no trouble for them considering all that's available. I have reached out to Mint open source programmers to see if we can get this solved. I've got some nibbles so... hopefully they will have a solution because I really am not a fan of the Convo nor ZVRS interfaces. I prefer Purple as it isn't as much of a hog as the others. I'm thumping it old school netbook-style as portability is the most important thing for me as my office is essentially my truck.

Linphone works very well when calling other VP users. I have not had much success with Ekiga but that's probably due to me being a bit new to Linux. Actually, I'm not new... I just haven't used it in several years. I've switched back because I am utilizing it for my business. Give me a couple weeks to get my ears wet. It's like riding a bicycle.

... Well then. I guess it's time I have our developers look into building something for our Linux users... I'm one of them, but that's mostly for our servers, not desktop users.

We'll be checking out how we handle this.

Some of the clients I've seen look like white label of Counterpath's Bria software (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS). They have a Linux version X-Lite. Very good SIP stack, highly configurable, and compatible with lots of softswitches and proxies out there. Not sure of the code availability for X-Lite if you are looking to do mods.

Back