VRS rudeness

Is it really necessary for you to know who i am calling to ?
I missed this part earlier.

The choice is entirely up to you. However, if you want the best quality interpreting, telling who you are calling IS necessary. If you don't really care about having words spelled wrong, signs misunderstood, etc. then sure, don't tell. Giving the info beforehand HELPS the interpreter. They can interpret BETTER with the information. If that's not an issue for you, you don't have to give it. Just be prepared for some mistakes and misunderstandings while they figure out what's going on.

Just a note- I agree that getting the same ole' possibly unnecessary introduction can be a hassle when you just want to get a quick call over with.

I and probably most level headed terps wouldn't bat an eye if the customer interrupted the introduction in a friendly manner (for example- smiling and saying 'understand not need') or something like that.

I'm curious.. for those of you with VP 100/200s.. and for those who've used sorenson- how do you feel about the use of the privacy screen? Do you mind when a terp uses theirs while on hold? Do you like to use yours?

For those of you who don't have a privacy screen.. do you miss having one? Wish you had one?

it really necessary for you to know who i am calling to ?

We're not allowed to ask who you're calling. We do appreciate if you give us a name and possibly the relationship (mother/sister/girlfriend/wife/fiance). Knowing the relationship you have with the hearing person helps us to interpret better. We're not being nosy; it really does help.

I mentor newer interpreters and I HATE when I see them say, "Hi. I'm interpreter #9999 with VRS. Would you like me to connect now?"

OF COURSE THEY WANT YOU TO CONNECT!!! THEY'RE MAKING A PHONE CALL. I don't think we should be asking any questions. "Hi. I'm Interpreter #9999 with VRS. I'll connect now."

I always hope you give me more information, but I never ask for it because I'm not allowed.

Quite right, Chris - although if someone tells us who they are calling and it doesn't make sense, I think it's appropriate to ask for clarification. I can't think of an example, but I know I've done it.

I remember in past, when Sorenson provided VP100 to make easier but... they keep tell me, " is that right number XXX-XXX-XXXX?" I told them, if so and then why am I press input that number at first place.. please connect!

now it become stop, now.. my interpreter number is XXNNNN, I simple say.. please call.... Unless specific like please press 1 4 5 2 4 9 5 84 0 2039 932 39 99 29 4 2 5 9... I wonder will they remember all the press numbers.. heheheh..

But at least.. they are doing great job and some dont... While those some don't will get face and realized how serious we are include how VRS is serious too...

Anyway -- great job VRS

I'm curious.. for those of you with VP 100/200s.. and for those who've used sorenson- how do you feel about the use of the privacy screen? Do you mind when a terp uses theirs while on hold? Do you like to use yours?

For those of you who don't have a privacy screen.. do you miss having one? Wish you had one?

When you switch terps, I can understand why you put privacy screen up. (however some of us might want to know how awkward you do it heheh)
When privacy screen goes up when we are on hold, it's sometimes irratating, sometimes a good thing. I would say when it strikes our mood. Many times its nice to "study" terp faceswhile we are waiting. After all we have probably already studies our room where the vp is so we need a fresh scene:giggle:

But when we put up a privacy screen to stop terp from seeing us, ITs pretty much out of respect for the terps. Afterall WHO wants to see the deaf embarrassing moments? :shock:

I am the first to admit that fingerspelling is not my strongest skill. But, sometimes when I ask a person to repeat the spelling of their name or street, etc it's not because I didn't understand you, its the hearing person on the phone that is getting the letters mixed up. Sometimes, it is me though, I can admit that! :) It's frustrating for me and I'm sure for the Deaf person.

Also, I will give a slight pause after I say my intro.... if the caller doesn't give me anything I just call. It is nice to know some info about what/who/where we are calling though.

Hi, Just a question. I work as an Interpreter for a VRS company and as an interpreter I'm required to answer the deaf person by saying "Hi, thank you for calling video relay company, I'm interpreter xxxx, would you like me to call now?" Lately it seems I cant even say "Hi,..." and the deaf person interrupts me say "call cable company" or "call mom." Just seems rude to interupt when all i'm trying to do it say "thank you for calling :)" If you call bank, bank answers "Hi, thank you for calling the bank, my name is Jane Doe, can I help you" and people dont interrupt the bank person, it is RUDE. Any thoughts??

Hey, you are not alone... But working with the public is tough. I am not an interpreter... But a Deaf person... I used to work at a food store as a cashier. I would simply be doing my job and customers sometimes would just yell at me for no reason... So people in general are just simply rude... :-D and ignore them.

I don't think it is rude at all...hearing people can just pick up the phone and dial directly. Why do we have to wait before we "dial?"

I try to be nice as much as possible but sometimes it would be nice to just to call by doing just that...just call.

I don't think it is rude at all...hearing people can just pick up the phone and dial directly. Why do we have to wait before we "dial?"

I try to be nice as much as possible but sometimes it would be nice to just to call by doing just that...just call.

I completely agree with you 100%, and appreciate your patience as we deal with corporate mandated branding and introduction. I really wish we didn't have to do that.

For any and all deaf VRS consumers who really dislike the corporate branding and interpreter introductions, please send an email to whatever VRS company you use and let them know how you feel.

I work for a VRS company and I LOVE it! I've been working for them over a year and a half and couldn't be happier. 90% of the Deaf people I work with are very friendly to me as the interpreter (though they may completely chew out the hearing person, they treat me well before and after the call-- assuming they haven't hung up on the hearing person :aw:)

I start every call with a smile, even after having had a terrible call just before, and yes-- with the script. I spit that script out as quickly as possible knowing that most Deaf users simply don't care and want to move on with THEIR call. If they interrupt me, I'm not offended, they just want to make their call and get on with their call and their lives. The script is something required of us to do, and I think we are much like a machine at that point-- it's not wrong to interrupt, (though of course doing it in a friendly way is preferred).

I know other interpreters who complain about constant b-tchy callers, but they are often the terps with attitude themselves. I cannot tell you how much a SMILE at the beginning of a call and a "Have a nice day/night" at the end can make all the difference! If you approach every call with your best attitude then you can rest assured that you will have a better response and those TRULY rude, horrible callers will be easy to identify as just that-- know it's not your fault as the terp, and move on.

Few VRS hung up on me without letting me to say "Thank you. Have a good day/night." I was like excuse me!! Seems they didn't want to get Thanks from me. Its their loss.

I start every call with a smile, even after having had a terrible call just before, and yes-- with the script. I spit that script out as quickly as possible knowing that most Deaf users simply don't care and want to move on with THEIR call. If they interrupt me, I'm not offended, they just want to make their call and get on with their call and their lives. The script is something required of us to do, and I think we are much like a machine at that point-- it's not wrong to interrupt, (though of course doing it in a friendly way is preferred).

I .

I think some deaf include myself knew it is going to be very length call especially when calling to any business so we want to cut down the time and dont want to wait until VRS finish his or her intro sentence (some sign so sloow lmao) I usually tell them start dail then I end call with smile and good byes. No big deal.

Why do some deaf people makes calls and sign while stuffing food in their mouths? Or pick their noses? It's very distracting.

Seriously.

I mean, a little munching on hold is certainly no big deal.

One call I had, the caller was STUFFING their face, and when they were done eating they pulled their shirt up to wipe their mouth. A shirt is NOT a napkin!

One call I had, the caller was STUFFING their face, and when they were done eating they pulled their shirt up to wipe their mouth. A shirt is NOT a napkin!

ewww.

Why do some deaf people makes calls and sign while stuffing food in their mouths? Or pick their noses? It's very distracting.

ewww. i'm surprised deaf people doing such things aren't embarrassed. i know i would be.

Understood, I have always treated VRS calls as business even though I may call to my relatives or friends, all VRS operators are treated by business. Nothing personal.

What I hate is when I call VRS and the operator asked me "Who do you want to call?" Or "What is the name of person you want to call?". This is just too much because this is more than just 1st class calls, I do not ask for person to person calls. Most hearing people don't do that, right? All person to person calls though telephone companies are very pricey! That is because it is first class.

If I wanted to ask for specific person, I would have said in ahead no problem.

I can understand the frustration with some Deaf and VRS operator. Any VRS calls are now pretty much standard, we all know how this process, yet we don't want to fancy up the standards unless we decide to treat specific call as special one.

Perfect example, when I want to call business, how do I know whats the name of person that would answer my call? Its business, any reps can answer the call.

Actually what the vrs interpreter means when they say "who do you want to call?" isn't a NAME it's a topic....like...call Lowe's...you don't have to give a name, but clue them into what kind of call to expect. It does help make the interpretation a smooth one.

Back