VR's opportunities for improvement

Nesmuth

Reaction score
Sigh!

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=691945

Improving the opportunities of the disabled can be accomplished by eliminating the culture of incompetence in Vocational Rehabilitation.

With the National Association of the Deaf blowing the horn on the changes with Rehabilitation Services Administration, here is my take on this situation.

First, this is long overdue. I've received complaints from community members in at least 8 states of incompetence, double standardness, nepotism, favoritism, and even witnessed with my own eyes paramourism high in the ranks of the Rehabilitation Services Administration as it is now.

As illustratively describing the paramourism going on, I have requested to become one of the vendors to Rehabilitation Services of California. They have responded with a book of standards for vendors, the purple book, that our agency has to meet in order to become one of their vendors. With our agency being small and new we were unable to meet their criteria. Then came the SHHH conference in Ontario in 2001 or 2002. I witnessed that some vendor representatives were having intimate relations with the representatives of the California Rehabilitation Services at the hotel where the SHHH conference was taking place. Then I find these people run small agencies like mine and they have vendor contracts with the California Rehabilitation Services. With this, I come to a safe finding that these vendors have to prostitute themselves in order to be pulled through the purple book.

From that point I knew there was something funny going on with the Rehabilitation Services Administration and that something needed to be done and I commend President Bush and Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings for starting the cleanup of the Rehabilitation Services Administration so vendors will be measured by their qualifications than by the volupticity of their representatives.

And as soon as the Rehabilitation Services Administration is reduced, there will be opportunities for Rehabilitation Services Administration growth later on and vendors will be given fair and square opportunities to participate in the programs offered by the agency.

Shame on the National Association of the Deaf for standing behind the Rehabilitation Services Administration thats become a big bucket with a lot of bad apples in it.

Richard Roehm

Back