vrs,captel,ip,aim..Help!

Callmemum

Reaction score
I'm so confused with all the types of relay services etc. If anyone can tell me: what do I use if I don't want video, i'm crappy at signing... I can speak fine but only hear a little bit. I want to read captions, but speak to the party with my voice. I'd like to hear the other party and get captions, but not absolutely necessary. Captions are mandatory as I don't sign well yet but am at proufound deaf level. I do read lips pretty well, but no one I know will use a video phone anyway! I have an iPhone 3gs, no front camera, and whatever I use must be over wireless or 3G as voice calls are 40 cents/ min. Anyone know which service might work? Thanks so much!

I'm pretty new to the relay services too but I think you should try Captel since you can talk and you prefer caption. (you may even qualify for a free phone depending on your state). Its where you talk to whoever you want to call and they hear you, the interpreter does not interfear with the call but only gives you caption (as your hearing whats being said also). :

CapTel - CapTel Telephones

There is also something similar for cell phone users:
Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel

VRS is something for someone who wants to use sign language as a form of communication. I plan on getting it when I feel I'm more fluent with the language.

Hamilton Captel will also work on computers, I think. You can call anyone on a cell phone, even a crappy old cell phone that is not a smartphone, and the captions can come up on your computer screen. So you talk on your cell to the other person, and the other person's comments come up on the screen.

I experimented with this at the Hamilton booth at the recent HLAA convention. My husband was the person I called. He said there was a noticeable delay in my response to him after he said something, like maybe 5 seconds or more. So probably it's a good idea to tell someone you are using a captioning service and to wait for your responses. My husband said he would have wondered if the connection had dropped if he hadn't known what was going on.

Thank u! I'll try these. I'm trying to learn ASL too, I didn't realize it would be so hard. Is taking classes the best way to learn? Any book/programs recommended?

It is a little intimidating to teach yourself, but its not impossible to do.

I go to these sites:
ASLPro.com Home

• ASL • American Sign Language

those two websites have been helping me for now. I hope to go to the junior college at some point to take ASL classes (another good thing about that is you may make new friends with someone who understands you)

I have yet to try the captel and hamilton but its all about what feels right to you. :) I prefer to learn through videos as some books are hard to understand some of the signs. But I HIGHLY recommend getting a ASL dictionary when you can. You never know when you'll need it.

And everyone has their own way of learning.

I agree with LadySolitary.

I'm in a 30 day trial of of CapTel 800. It captions outgoing calls by default but incoming callers dial an "800" number (depending on state,language desired,etc.) plus your phone number,to reach you.

I'm enjoying the CapTel very much! I wasn't aware that my home phone had call waiting;if you have that,you need to disable call waiting so that it doesn't
interrupt your captioning or cause you to miss calls. Phone works just fine now!

Depending on one's income,it's possible to get it free or at a reduced price. ($99) (A $495 (?) value)

There is also a CapTel phone that hooks up to your phone line as well as your high speed Internet modem and when someone calls, they can call you direct. No 800 number pre-dial required.

Yep, just what they said. Note that your VRC can get this for you free or very reduced price.

I like Lifeprint.com Dr Bill is awesome! A sylabus, lesson plans, and class room videos all free.

Back