Vp

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I got my VP upgraded to VP 200, I have been using it like crazy to call different businesses and stuff. I didnt use VP 100 because it was always too fuzzy or had bad reception so never really got to experience using VRS. Now, that I do and I realized how MUCH easier it is to call hearing people mainly businesses especially those involving pressing different numbers. It is great!

Now, it got me thinking...I realized that for me to use VRS, I must know sign language and it made me wonder about those deaf or hoh who are oral and dont know sign language. I am curious..do oral deaf/hoh people who dont know sign language but still rely on relay for important calls get VP?

Anyone who is oral deaf/hoh have a VP? Just curious...

Yes I know one who does have a VP and he knows very little sign language. He stopped coming to Alldeaf, though.

Yes I know one who does have a VP and he knows very little sign language. He stopped coming to Alldeaf, though.

How does he use VRS if he doesnt know sign language? Just really curious how it works. I feel that they have the same rights to VRS but just wondering how it would work if they didnt know sign language.

I don't use VP. I've always found using online relay easier than video relay.

I don't use VP. I've always found using online relay easier than video relay.

Yea? I used to think that way too but with all the pressing of different numbers, with online relay..took forever while with VRS, it was done in half of the time. I was amazed to notice the difference..:)

Yes much less than half of the time. Aren't you aware that when you call using non-VRs relay service, like Ip relay, tty relay, they will hang up on every prompt you press? That is what makes it alot longer than if your using VRS. Glad you realize how much difference it makes. You can go ahead timing the calls between VRS and TRS 10 minutes of VRS equals 50 minutes on TRS. That is about right timing.

Yea? I used to think that way too but with all the pressing of different numbers, with online relay..took forever while with VRS, it was done in half of the time. I was amazed to notice the difference..:)

Well I have VP100. Because I live out of nowhere (about 80 miles from city), it does have very bad reception here. Interpreters have problem seeing me clearly. Lucky that I can speak well so I use VCO (Voice Carry Over) with VRS.

Since I got my VP upgraded to VP 200, I have been using it like crazy to call different businesses and stuff. I didnt use VP 100 because it was always too fuzzy or had bad reception so never really got to experience using VRS. Now, that I do and I realized how MUCH easier it is to call hearing people mainly businesses especially those involving pressing different numbers. It is great!

Now, it got me thinking...I realized that for me to use VRS, I must know sign language and it made me wonder about those deaf or hoh who are oral and dont know sign language. I am curious..do oral deaf/hoh people who dont know sign language but still rely on relay for important calls get VP?

Anyone who is oral deaf/hoh have a VP? Just curious...

Well I have VP100. Because I live out of nowhere (about 80 miles from city), it does have very bad reception here. Interpreters have problem seeing me clearly. Lucky that I can speak well so I use VCO (Voice Carry Over) with VRS.

So oral deaf/hoh people can use the VCO with the VRS? That's great!

Reception isn't right word, the farther your from the central point tend to have higher latency rates, that is one of causes for fuzzy video.

Latency rate means delay in transmission over the network. So, the longer the distance without any "booster" will cause that, and other factors as well. Farther in the country is one of factor, and not much can be done until the ISP became willing to spend $$$ to add booster.

So oral deaf/hoh people can use the VCO with the VRS? That's great!

For me, the VCO functionality of VRS is the dealmaker. I don't entirely trust interpreters to accurately translate my signing (I rate myself a 7 out of 10 in expressive ASL skills, and a 9 out of 10 in voice quality) so I feel much better being able to talk directly to the other party.

In many cases, the other party isn't even aware that a VRS call is taking place, although once in a while, they may mention that there seems to be a cell-phone like quality to the conversation (i.e., delays) or they get a little impatient with the inevitable translation 2-3 second delays, not realizing what's taking place.

Now, only if my employer would get VRS working at my work desk!

Reception isn't right word, the farther your from the central point tend to have higher latency rates, that is one of causes for fuzzy video.

Latency rate means delay in transmission over the network. So, the longer the distance without any "booster" will cause that, and other factors as well. Farther in the country is one of factor, and not much can be done until the ISP became willing to spend $$$ to add booster.

I see what diehardbiker is trying to say, but I think sunshine1 is probably referring more to the inherently poor video quality of VP-100s in general. I remember about 6 months ago I received a call from a VP-200 user to my VP-100. I could not believe how clear she appeared on my VP-100, but she said I looked grainy.

Now that I have a VP-200, it's the opposite problem when I call my friends who still have VP-100s...they are fuzzy to me, but I'm crystal clear to them. On the other hand VP-200 to VP-200 connections are super-clear. This is what I enjoy when I make SVRS calls...the VRS terps obviously use VP-200s.

Back