Vp

Fo'Shizzle

Reaction score
How can I get a VP?? How much is it

Sweetheart said:
Just go to the website, http://www.sorensonvrs.com/ then apply for VP. But I'm not sure if you are hard of hearing or deaf, if you are then it'll be free. But if you're hearing then it could cost you to pay for it.

I don't know if you can get one if you're hearing, The only reason they give these to anyone is because they get paid every time you use it. They only want to give them to deaf people that sign because deaf people will use them often.

If you get a Sorenson VP you are only allowed to make relay calls via Sorenson. You can make point to point calls, but if you want to want to make a relay call you're limited to a Sorenson operator. Also, you don't own the equipment, Sorenson just lets you borrow it.

You can get a D-link i2eye VP for under $200 now. Or you can buy a nice camera for your computer and make relay calls that way.

That is true UNTIL July 1st, 2006! After July 1st 2006, you can make VRS calls though ANY of these VRS providers! Sorenson is quitting limiting VRS calls to themselves. I think possiblity is because they got overloaded and couldn't handle the volume, and that new FCC regulations prohibits anyone from waiting for next available terp more than 3 minutes, so in order to solve this problem, they relaxed the rule.

farmerjoe said:
If you get a Sorenson VP you are only allowed to make relay calls via Sorenson. You can make point to point calls, but if you want to want to make a relay call you're limited to a Sorenson operator. Also, you don't own the equipment, Sorenson just lets you borrow it.

diehardbiker65 said:
That is true UNTIL July 1st, 2006! After July 1st 2006, you can make VRS calls though ANY of these VRS providers! Sorenson is quitting limiting VRS calls to themselves. I think possiblity is because they got overloaded and couldn't handle the volume, and that new FCC regulations prohibits anyone from waiting for next available terp more than 3 minutes, so in order to solve this problem, they relaxed the rule.

Hey DieHardBiker65, I was reading what you said about making VRS calls through any of VRS providers; and this may sound dumb, but I want to be sure I understand: you mean that by using ANY VRS provider, I can make ANY personal (to other deaf users) or relay calls to ANY other VRS provider then? Or, only direct to direct VRS providers? I thought for instance, if I use Sorenson VRS, I am only allowed to make personal or relay calls through Sorenson VRS?? That's what I've been hearing from other people. :confused:

CurlyOrchids said:
Hey DieHardBiker65, I was reading what you said about making VRS calls through any of VRS providers; and this may sound dumb, but I want to be sure I understand: you mean that by using ANY VRS provider, I can make ANY personal (to other deaf users) or relay calls to ANY other VRS provider then? Or, only direct to direct VRS providers? I thought for instance, if I use Sorenson VRS, I am only allowed to make personal or relay calls through Sorenson VRS?? That's what I've been hearing from other people. :confused:

No actually you can have a Sorenson VP and call CSD VRS or HOVRS or Sorenson VRS so it is open.

And no I don't think it has anythign to do with Sorenson being overloaded. It was an FCC requirement. Honestly from a business standpoint, if Sorenson willingly did this they would LOSE alot of money by giving out VP and people using other VRS. So - no it was a FCC decision.

No, it isn't part of FCC requirement! What happen is that FCC now prohibits long wait for next available terp. So, in order to meet that new reqirement. Sorenson got two hard choices... Either hire more qualified terps which is very difficult OR release their Sorenson VP for user to be able to call any VRS, thus free up resources for Sorenson.

DefLord said:
No actually you can have a Sorenson VP and call CSD VRS or HOVRS or Sorenson VRS so it is open.

And no I don't think it has anythign to do with Sorenson being overloaded. It was an FCC requirement. Honestly from a business standpoint, if Sorenson willingly did this they would LOSE alot of money by giving out VP and people using other VRS. So - no it was a FCC decision.

diehardbiker65 said:
No, it isn't part of FCC requirement! What happen is that FCC now prohibits long wait for next available terp. So, in order to meet that new reqirement. Sorenson got two hard choices... Either hire more qualified terps which is very difficult OR release their Sorenson VP for user to be able to call any VRS, thus free up resources for Sorenson.

No the requirement is that a VRS provider CAN'T use their hardware to block calls to other VRS.

Back