VP on PC...wait a mintue...Linux?

Dismal Shadow

"Yours. Not mine."
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all, Suppose to say none of you knew me cuz I was just new in this forums on Alldeaf and I'm glad I joined, so anyway we all knew this a program Vp on PC on almost all VRS provider(companies) that they can offer. But sadly I'm dual-booting between XP and Linux (Ubuntu) but none of them had a program for Linux or is there? I'm abandoning XP and using Linux more, the reason I abandon Windows is because Linux is the best operating system I have even experienced.An anti-virus operating system. (no offense Windows user). So is there any program for Linux? Any help is appreciated.

"Windows Xp and Vista sucks. Get Linux Ubuntu"

I've never done it myself (I don't have a decent webcam), but in theory, any H.323 client should do it - Ekiga, for instance.

I've never done it myself (I don't have a decent webcam), but in theory, any H.323 client should do it - Ekiga, for instance.

Thanks bro, i will try that soon while booting to Linux. But Ekiga isn't the only program, is it?

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to the proper location.

Linux is alright for me, I wouldn't mind to install Linux on my Mac via bootcamp and it will work but not supported by Apple.

I don't want this Everex PC because of VIA, I prefer Intel or AMD (usually for PC).

I've never tried something like this but you could always install the drivers on Ubuntu for your webcam and try booting up whatever Windows programs you are trying to boot on Ubuntu, by using Wine

They just released a new version of Wine, like couple of weeks ago. Wine doesn't work for every Windows program so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work for you. I've been using Ubuntu for years, I know my way around. If you want to ask some question, feel free to.

Hello y'all, Suppose to say none of you knew me cuz I was just new in this forums on Alldeaf and I'm glad I joined, so anyway we all knew this a program Vp on PC on almost all VRS provider(companies) that they can offer. But sadly I'm dual-booting between XP and Linux (Ubuntu) but none of them had a program for Linux or is there? I'm abandoning XP and using Linux more, the reason I abandon Windows is because Linux is the best operating system I have even experienced.An anti-virus operating system. (no offense Windows user). So is there any program for Linux? Any help is appreciated.

FYI,

Linux is not an anti-virus operating system.

I have run and maintain several linux servers for more than 11 year and I can't count the numbers of virus it been attacked over the years or the number of rootkits it get infected with.

That why we run an anti-virus ClamAV on all our linux servers.

Linux is alright for me, I wouldn't mind to install Linux on my Mac via bootcamp and it will work but not supported by Apple.

I don't want this Everex PC because of VIA, I prefer Intel or AMD (usually for PC).

You could use VMWare to boot up Linux on your Mac.

Yeah, use any H.323 complaint video conferencing software to be able to make VP calls. Ekiga is one of them.

Welcome Latino Heat! You are not ALONE!! I have spoke with Hamilton Relay Rep at Kansas City ASL Expo.. I ENCOURAGED them to include LINUX for Inspirechat!! I already explained them that Linux already have Java installed and it should run Inspirechat. I asked for OPEN PLATFORM internet relay software!!!!!! They understood me! So they are working on to convince programmer to get Java work with Linux. Any deaf Linux User should contact any Online relay for open platform softwares support!! Speak up anyone!!

FEW Relay would work with Linux, not video.. It's the web base program on browser such as i711.com - Relay & Beyond. It works like a charm!! I use that alot on my UBUNTU 7.10. Basically it's a flash player base program.

The only thing what BOTHERS me is there is NO Video software that would works with any Videophone chat (I already know one of program that Linux have in it's Repository similiar to Netmeeting but have many issue with webcam. There's not enough support tho.). (I already downloaded v4l2 and got my Logitech Fusion working on Linux just for video recording and take pix). BUT The Kopete (instant messager for KDE but works in Gnome anyway). It works but vertical rate was a mess (my webcam was known to have problem with it and newer logitech webcam would work great). I basically wanted a open platform video software that I can chat with friends using Linux instead of Windoz.

I hear Ubuntu's new "Hardy Heron" is coming out in 7 days!! I'm going to jump in and upgrade it. I have thrown many Compiz Fusion eye candies in Gusty Gibbon 7.10 and I don't know if I should screw it up or not. I have 2nd hard drive that I can test it. Linux continue to improve and I sure hope that they soon will include software for Videochat!! LOL.

Catty

Yeah, use any H.323 complaint video conferencing software to be able to make VP calls. Ekiga is one of them.

I already try Ekiga. My webcam had an issue with Ekiga tho. I will try it on Hardy Heron to see if it improved or not. If it works and let me call my friend thru IP address and get connectd. I'll let you know.

I wish I had a knowlege on how to build video chat software for Linux. I'm just still noob on that.

Catty

I already try Ekiga. My webcam had an issue with Ekiga tho. I will try it on Hardy Heron to see if it improved or not. If it works and let me call my friend thru IP address and get connectd. I'll let you know.

I wish I had a knowlege on how to build video chat software for Linux. I'm just still noob on that.

Catty

Get different webcam?

Welcome Latino Heat! You are not ALONE!! I have spoke with Hamilton Relay Rep at Kansas City ASL Expo.. I ENCOURAGED them to include LINUX for Inspirechat!! I already explained them that Linux already have Java installed and it should run Inspirechat. I asked for OPEN PLATFORM internet relay software!!!!!! They understood me! So they are working on to convince programmer to get Java work with Linux. Any deaf Linux User should contact any Online relay for open platform softwares support!! Speak up anyone!!

FEW Relay would work with Linux, not video.. It's the web base program on browser such as i711.com - Relay & Beyond. It works like a charm!! I use that alot on my UBUNTU 7.10. Basically it's a flash player base program.

The only thing what BOTHERS me is there is NO Video software that would works with any Videophone chat (I already know one of program that Linux have in it's Repository similiar to Netmeeting but have many issue with webcam. There's not enough support tho.). (I already downloaded v4l2 and got my Logitech Fusion working on Linux just for video recording and take pix). BUT The Kopete (instant messager for KDE but works in Gnome anyway). It works but vertical rate was a mess (my webcam was known to have problem with it and newer logitech webcam would work great). I basically wanted a open platform video software that I can chat with friends using Linux instead of Windoz.

I hear Ubuntu's new "Hardy Heron" is coming out in 7 days!! I'm going to jump in and upgrade it. I have thrown many Compiz Fusion eye candies in Gusty Gibbon 7.10 and I don't know if I should screw it up or not. I have 2nd hard drive that I can test it. Linux continue to improve and I sure hope that they soon will include software for Videochat!! LOL.

Catty

I would safely assume that all web based IP-Relay's will work on Linux, whatever is web based will work on Linux.

You should check out ubuntuforums.org, if you screw something up with compiz, there may be couple of solutions for you (pretty sure they have couple of solutions for you with your web cam problems too). I'm pretty excited about Hardy Heron, I'll definitely install that when I move to a new place (In the first week of June) Can't wait.

Catty

Thank u Catty I don't expect some deafie here is a Linux user and thank you Catty for that support I'm pretty excited about Hardy Heron too, Linux truly is the best operating system and I was wondering if u can explicate this to our friend TechBill here that Linux is a anti-virus operating system

FYI,

Linux is not an anti-virus operating system.

I have run and maintain several linux servers for more than 11 year and I can't count the numbers of virus it been attacked over the years or the number of rootkits it get infected with.

That why we run an anti-virus ClamAV on all our linux servers.

That is not quite correct. I was never attacked by any virus of any kind, I have been using Linux for 3 years now, and what kind of Linux Distribution are you using? I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 Gibson Gusty

Thank u Catty I don't expect some deafie here is a Linux user and thank you Catty for that support I'm pretty excited about Hardy Heron too, Linux truly is the best operating system and I was wondering if u can explicate this to our friend TechBill here that Linux is a anti-virus operating system

That is not quite correct. I was never attacked by any virus of any kind, I have been using Linux for 3 years now, and what kind of Linux Distribution are you using? I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 Gibson Gusty

We started with FreeBSD long time ago then we switched to CentOS.

You probably don't experience any attack because your not running a popular public domain server exposed to the internet.

We maintain 29 websites and our last attack was about a year ago where the virus wiped all the db in mysql.

We started with FreeBSD long time ago then we switched to CentOS.

You probably don't experience any attack because your not running a popular public domain server exposed to the internet.

We maintain 29 websites and our last attack was about a year ago where the virus wiped all the db in mysql.

Ok Now that's rather weird. It sounds like u r using the Server Edition, I on the other hand am using the desktop edition. So I'm talking about the desktop edition in this thread.

I believe VPAD, Router, DVD Player, Cell are Linux !!!

VPAD is Linux, work run VP on SIP & H323 Compliant; H.263 & H.264 video codecs

I believe VPAD, Router, DVD Player, Cell are Linux !!!

VPAD is Linux, work run VP on SIP & H323 Compliant; H.263 & H.264 video codecs

What are u trying to say? Speak English. I haven't heard about other Linux products. We are talking about desktop Operating System here, Linux is a company, Ubuntu is a CD,DVD operating system software.

Back