VP @ Airport?

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
Didnt other VRS done that? j/w

Sorenson Communications

====================================================

For release: 11-1-2006

Salt Lake City International Becomes First Airport in U.S. to Offer Sorenson Communications' Free Videophone Booths for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Travelers
Two new videophone booths allow deaf and hard-of-hearing travelers to place calls through an on-screen American Sign Language interpreter to any hearing individual in the U.S.

SALT LAKE CITY (November 1, 2006)-Sorenson Communications™ today announced it has installed videophone booths for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals at a public airport for the first time, locating one booth in each of Salt Lake City International Airport's two baggage claim areas. The innovative videophone booths, most often installed in deaf schools and community access centers, make communication between the deaf and hard-of-hearing community and the hearing world easier than ever.

The videophone booths connect deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals to a nationwide network of American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters who facilitate conversations for them with hearing individuals by way of a Sorenson VP-200™ videophone appliance and the Sorenson Video Relay Service®. This video relay service is a breakthrough for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals whose primary language is ASL because it allows them to use their own native language during calls to hearing individuals.

Becoming the first U.S. airport to have videophone booths available for deaf and hard-of-hearing travelers is a direct reflection of Salt Lake City International Airport's goal of making accessibility a priority. "We are pleased to work with Sorenson Communications to make their videophone booths available to deaf individuals-especially athletes and fans who will use the airport during the Deaflympics this winter," said Russ Pack, acting director of the Salt Lake City Department of Airports.

"This is a notable step for the deaf and hard-of-hearing community. We appreciate the airport's support in making video relay services available to travelers," said Patrick Nola, president and CEO of Sorenson Communications. "We also recognize the airport's generosity in making the necessary high-speed Internet connections available and for maintaining them for use in the videophone booths.

"In the hearing community, we take for granted the availability of public telephones when we travel," Nola said. "Telephones are an important tool for all travelers needing to solve unexpected problems that may arise and for reassuring family and friends by remaining in communication while on the road."

To use a videophone booth, a deaf or hard-of-hearing individual enters a private booth equipped with a Sorenson VP-200 videophone connected to both a television and high-speed Internet. He or she enters the phone number of the hearing individual being called. Through the Sorenson Video Relay Service, a qualified ASL interpreter appears on the screen, connects the individuals and relays the conversation between them. The hearing party receiving the call uses a standard phone line.

About Sorenson Communications
Sorenson Communications™ (Sorenson Communications) is a provider of industry-leading communication offerings including Sorenson Video Relay Service® (VRS), the company's line of videophones, Sorenson IP Relay™ (siprelay) and Sorenson Video Remote Interpreting™ (VRI). Sorenson VRS (Sorenson VRS) enables deaf callers to conduct video relay conversations with hearing friends, business colleagues and family members through a qualified American Sign Language interpreter. The company's Sorenson VP-100 is the first consumer-based broadband videophone appliance specifically designed for deaf individuals. Sorenson IP Relay (Sorenson IP Relay) allows deaf and hard-of-hearing users to place instant text-based relay calls from a PC or mobile device to any telephone user. Sorenson Video Remote Interpreting™ (Sorenson VRI) is a fee-based video interpreting service ideal for use in situations where an interpreter cannot be physically present to interpret between hearing and deaf individuals who are at the same location.

That is a milestone and it would be awesome if other airports would start to follow through. I believe that it would help breaking down the communication barriers as well by using the VP at the airport where other deaf travelers can have the access to use the VP to contact whomever they want. That makes things much easier on us and them too. It's a start but it'd be great when things are starting to expand in order to be able to have other airports to join in.

I'm sure it will happen every main airports. But when? :dunno2:

Guess we will have to wait n see.... :whistle:

SorensonVRS offers much more than what other VRS provider offers! I love SorensonVRS already. Just think about this, SorensonVRS got 24/7 tech support available, what about other VRS providers? Do other VRS provider gives away free VP? I am sticking with SVRS! Sorenson do offer more than you might realize, like this free booth for deafies! Cool, eh?

AWESOME! :thumb:

I have been using Sorenson vp. I like it a lot. One time a dear friend of mine who resides in Germany :kiss: was having a problem with her friend's vp. I had thought that I was having a problem with my vp so I contacted Sorenson's tech support late at night. Soon enuf, someone was there and helped me out. It was cool.

Back