Voters Are Getting Free Pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyblue

Reaction score
Voters Getting Free Pot | firstcoastnews.com

LANSING, Mich -- Residents who register to vote could get free pot.

One medical marijuana shop in Lansing, Mich., is using that incentive to entice its clients. The clinic claims it's just doing its civic duty, but is it going too far?

"It wasn't ever to lure patients or try to buy their votes -- no, not at all," says Shekina Pena, the owner of "Your Healthy Choice Clinic."

For the past month and a half she and other dispensaries in the area have been running a voter registration campaign.

She's been educating patients and caregivers on the medical marijuana ordinance and who on city council supports it.

"We let them know how we feel, we don't tell them who to vote for," said Pena. "We definitely want to support the ones who are supporting us."

On the Site, the clinic offers half a gram or a free medible, which is one of their food products, as a thank you for registering.

Lansing City Clerk Chris Swope says the clinic is treading on a very fine line because the giveaway seems to be too closely tied to which candidates the clinic supports.

Their tag line on the site, "Vote for us and we'll vote for you."

"There are very clear prohibitions in the law about giving someone any type of consideration for voting or voting a certain way or you can't give someone an enticement for not voting," says Swope.

Swope says if the clinic gave people pot and explicitly told them who to vote for or who not to vote for then, without question, they'd be breaking the law, but Pena says that's not what the clinic is doing.

"We really got to fight to get the voters out there because the polls are showing there's 4-5,000 people in Lansing that are patients or caregivers so we need those 4-5,000 people to come forth to the polls and vote for whomever they feel is in support of what they want for access," she said. "It gets their attention and like the Medical Marijuana Acts says, you can't sell it so what's wrong with giving it away?"

Swope said this is not a clear cut issue, which his office will continue to investigate.

State Sen. Rick Jones said the clinic is using marijuana to influence voting and has contacted the attorney general's office to look into the issue.

WILX

State Sen. Rick Jones said the clinic is using marijuana to influence voting and has contacted the attorney general's office to look into the issue

I am sure it will be shut down before long.

Being stoned is a great feeling. I told my bro we need to legalize weed so I can go buy weed from weed shop. :) I dont mess with the stuff b/c it is illegal. Fawk dat!

that is why illegal is very pot serious!

No different than any other business offering incentive to register voters. I see nothing wrong with it.

Swope says if the clinic gave people pot and explicitly told them who to vote for or who not to vote for then, without question, they'd be breaking the law, but Pena says that's not what the clinic is doing.

Nevermind they are giving away an illegal drug. lol Why doesnt' that seem to be an issue?

Thomas Jefferson, George Washington Smoked it, Bob Marley did, Willie Nelson still do, and openly do so (with really strong stuff), Woody Harrelson does and more...its only illegal because of dumb, misinformed history and now it had became a 'social problem' because since its illegal, people find it much much harder to gauge just who is a 'problem smoker' that is addicted or have low tolerance to THC...just like alcohol we now have clearer idea of who might be 'weak' to alcohol, or addicted, or have low tolerance to it....what im saying is, since its illegal its harder to get give education and harder to help out, to balance out the consumption to down to more safe levels...and so on...criminal elements of it makes it so damn treat 'such a social problem' again, its unemployment , depression which also makes cannabis attractive...and the wankers who have no fear breaking laws (and lots of it) will abuse that attraction hence the drug market....
so no small wonder we 'got a "DRUG problem" or DRUG war...ok granted cocaine, or heroin were far worst and far more costly..not just in terms of govt's money spent on controlling, busting, arresting,, but the medical effects and affect is jsut enormous, the damages these caused are far far worse than pot, so to that id agree it should be legalised but but it so to be legalised, everything about it has to be treated like alcohol, it is serious, something that has to be regulated and sensible consumption to be encouraged, just like wine drinking, whisky tasting isnt sports, its has to be respected... but again thats hard because 'getting stoned' is the goal, wherein drinking ' getting drunk' isnt such a goal for every occassion , so pot smokers need to educate each others on the finer points of that...that would take ALOT of work...that's all id say

WHAT? Blasphemy!! THROW OUR FOUNDING FATHERS INTO THE SLAMMER!
on a more serious note, pot was used long before it became illegal.

Well, In California Law, If I'm cancer patient. Doctor will approve me to buy weeds for medicine as for cancer patients only. RX drugs at stores alway too expensive pricey more than weeds and Medicare might cut due deadline Aug 2.

I used to smoking weed when i was high school partyhead but, I quited as I'm too old now.... Hmm. I don't care if i might vote for it.

Nevermind they are giving away an illegal drug. lol Why doesnt' that seem to be an issue?

Right. They aren't buying votes. They are rewarding registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back