Vote? ID required....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very poor people tend to work more hours and spend more hours in public transit. it does pose a bit of a problem for them. online voting is not possible?

But they have time to go to the store and buy food, etc. Many DMVs have special late hours once or twice a week for people like this. They do a lot to try and make sure they are accessible. The fact is, NOBODY wants to go to the DMV because it's a PIA. Poor people complaining that it is too hard for them are just making excuses because they are lazy.

I used to have an apologist attitude like you, but now I see this laziness everyday in DC. There's no excuse. Get off your lazy ass and go get an ID card.

But they have time to go to the store and buy food, etc. Many DMVs have special late hours once or twice a week for people like this. They do a lot to try and make sure they are accessible. The fact is, NOBODY wants to go to the DMV because it's a PIA. Poor people complaining that it is too hard for them are just making excuses because they are lazy.

I used to have an apologist attitude like you, but now I see this laziness everyday in DC. There's no excuse. Get off your lazy ass and go get an ID card.

True, the downtown office is open late. We have public transportation.

Here, I believe you have to pay $35 to get a non-driver photo ID. It has to be renewed every five years. The drivers have to pay $75. To be honest, I think if a person is required to carry a photo ID in order to access government services, the photo ID should be free.

I agree with that completely. And you do have to have a driver's license or state issued photo ID to access all government services. And many non-government services.

Yes, those "poor people" have to find a way to get to the local licensing department, pay the fee, wait in line; all to be allowed to vote. Some of those folks need to skip medications or eat; their choice. Imagine tossing this into their budget. Perhaps they can collect fees at the voting booths as well. :hmm:
In South Carolina, there is no fee for non-driver ID cards for citizens age 17 years and older.

They even provided free transportation to the DMVs for those who needed it but very few people took advantage of that.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/sep/08/dmv-plenty-of-id-rides-available/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back