Vonage Basic 500: From $14.99 to $17.99

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vonage will up my bill to $17.99 starting April. I don't use over 75 minutes (peak, which is rarely used up) and I use WebCapTel due to my hearing impairment. I do use about 20 to 30 minutes monthly. It's mostly to talk with my parents over the phone.

I'm thinking about switching to other providers, such as Packet8. For anyone who are hard of hearing, do you use other providers other than Vonage with a basic 500 minute rate of $14.99? If so, do you get any notification from your provider saying that they may up the basic rate to $17.99 or similar?

Here's my e-mail that I got from Vonage:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

At Vonage, we're committed to providing exceptional phone service at a great value you can rely on. On December 1, 2008, the price of our Residential Basic 500 Minute Plan increased from $14.99 to $17.991. The new price will be reflected in your April 2009 bill. We're proud that we remain one of the most competitive choices among home phone providers.

Don't forget, with the Vonage Residential Basic 500 Minute Plan, you will continue to receive 25 great features, like Call Waiting, Caller ID, and Voicemail Plus that many phone companies still charge for. International calls are still as low as 1 cent per minute.

As an option, you might consider the Residential Unlimited Plan for only $24.992 a month. For just $7 more you will get:

Unlimited local and long distance calls in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico
FREE calls to landline phones in Italy, France, Spain, UK and Ireland
Peace of mind - never worry about going over your minutes again!

For even more savings and the convenience of one bill each year, you can pay in advance with our Annual Pre-Pay option and save 20% off the standard rate3 or just $19.99 a month.

Click here to access your Online Account and check out these options and more. If you have any questions, you can call 1-VONAGE-HELP and speak to a customer care representative.

At Vonage, we continue to provide you with the best service at the lowest possible price.

Thank you for your business,

Vonage

I don't want to afford $17.99 for just a basic service. I just don't talk a lot on the phone. I do have AT&T Pay As You Go Unlimited, but that's rarely used. Even though my Vonage is rarely used, I do talk over a VoIP than my cell phone. This makes texting very expensive for my AT&T cell phone. After all, I'm trying to keep my cost down.

And by the way, I don't care about making phone calls internationally. It'd be nice to shove a few dollars off of that phone bill when not in use...

I am not sure about this one. Perhaps, you might like it.

magicJack

If you like this service, then consider to close your telephone account (only telephone), and perhaps eliminate your cellphone for one year. Before you do that, read the Q & A on the magicjack website first to make sure that meet your needs.

No phone # portability with MajicJack, plus, it's better for a phone connection to the Internet be seperated from the computer and plug directly into a router.

It's just a device to make phone calls, so WebCapTel + MagicJack = won't work.

Magic Jack phone # info?? - Yahoo! Answers

I'm okay with $14.99 a month as long as it stays there as long as possible.

I wish I can edit my previous posts, but I can't. :( But anyway, for those who read this, I'm in the process of porting my phone number from Vonage to Packet8.

The reason I'm switching to Packet8 is I once started a thread about dialing 711 in my Ameriphone Q90D using Vonage and I've learned that Packet8 supports dialing 711. However, I used WebCapTel with VoIP, so 711 is not needed anymore. However, it's good to have one if my computer is not on.

So anyway, I found a provider that still provides a basic 500-minute plan. A price increase from $14.99 to $17.99 is of little value to me and I don't use about 25 features that're included in the basic and unlimited plan.

do not take magic jack it make the compture slow and itslef was scam and also itslef have storng attack virus

Vonage

Vonage was the first company to introduce to concept of VoIP calls but they took long time to get the mobile users where there is already Truphone, Vopium or Nimbuzz sort of big competitors exist in this market.

Back