vonag on tty and captel phone

superdeaf57

Reaction score
how many of you used vonage for tty and captel phones do it work or not? let me know thanks you

I once use Vonage with software TTY through voice modem and didn't have a problem. :)

I'm using Comcast with 6mbps down/512kbps-1mbps up.

how many of you used vonage for tty and captel phones do it work or not? let me know thanks you
I use Vonage with my computer TTY.

Only U.S. relay services work, but I'm able to call Canada using them anyway, and Vonage Unlimited Long distance solves that too.

You DO need a high-end low-latency Internet connection though. If your ISP has a PEER1 backbone or one of the "good backbones", you should have no problem with TTY on Vonage. Fast cable and fast DSL is good. You need to configure Vonage to maximum audio quality, to keep th TTY tones good.

However, a slow congested cable connection that likes to be bursty (stalls & stops a lot), causes lots of problems with TTY on Vonage.

About CapTel, I'd wager it probably not work very well. It'd work "sometimes" probably, but cut out often. I can muster a 28800bps analog modem connection over Vonage but it has occasional random dropouts, which is very bad for CapTel.

TTY is much more reliable over a really good VoIP connection, as it's not as sensitive as a 28800bps connection.

You could give it a try. It'd probably work great if you had a commercial-quality T1 Internet connection and Vonage wasn't overloaded, but watch out on a typical Cable or DSL connection during evenings... A 28800bps modem connection over VoIP is very demanding on low-latency low-jitter no-packet-loss Internet connection...

It's digital (original 28.8Kbps)-to-analog (audio)-to-digital (TCP/IP) an onion layer of a data connection, and each layer needs to be pratically "perfect". In other words, at slow speeds, corruption scrambles only a letter or two of TTY, but on CapTel this may mean means big blocks of missing words or automatic disconnection from the captioning service (when VoIP momentarily destabilizes enough to fail to keep a 28.8Kbps analog modem connection sustained).

Faster speeds are possible too. I've even connected at 52 Kbps once over VoIP. But not common.

Back