Volunteering for the animals

inochi

Reaction score
Has anyone got stories to share about their experiences in volunteering their times in helping out animals of all kinds? or is anyone planning on doing so?

I have been in contact with the animal shelter by the airport in my area and they have been asking for numerous of volunteers to help out especially with working with the public at different stores for animal adoptions. I contacted the volunteer director and ask if there is anything else that I could do that does not require me to interact with the people in convincing them to adopt (kinda hard to understand what they are saying and when I don't have enough strength to speak long period of time).

She contacted me back and say that I could help out with walking with the dogs, cleaning the kennel and just be a companion for the cats. They have poker tournaments that comes and go and I can always help them out. It sure feels good knowing that I can invest my time worthwhile to assist them. Can't wait to start!

sounds like Newark animal shelter. I did have good time volunteering at shelter. these poor dogs are traumatized from abusive owners. I was trained and approved by shelter to handle certain types. Some dogs are left to experienced/trained volunteer because they have history of aggressiveness or sometimes it can lead to biting. But other than that... it was good experience.

Attend all trainings they offer... learn as much as you can about each breed/dog so that you can try to convince potential adopter to adopt one. that's about it and good luck!

good luck, it took me about 1 year to find a place to volunteer. I had a help from my freind who is a Professor of Sociology which she speicalised in Animals and Society, Death/dying and is a ardant animal activists against battery hens, pig farming, animal testing and have a radical view of how 'ownership/guardianship' to be understood. I might be adopting a large ex-farmer dog, just because we got a good flow, i gotta wait and see, see how my cat gets along.My story is kind of a long story, i'd rather not share it thanks. But for one thing, I'm actually against the way hearnig dogs are adminstrated, trained and controlled by hearing people only. I do not believe that helps d/Deaf people at all, Deaf people should have a right to train their own 'pets' if they desire to do so, but while it is a HUGE responsibility that it demands D/deaf people to be more educated about this level of responsibilty if should we be granted this kind of freedom and rights.

but yeah once again , Good luck and cheers

Back