Volunteer

Reaction score
Has anyone volunteered before?

I have volunteered on a few dull jobs before. One time I tried volunteering at the library organizing books but felt I was working for free. Is that bad? Staff not friendly but more like snobby. Lasted two weeks.

I want to volunteer but what's keeping me is if I don't like the volunteer work, do I need to give them notice like a real job? Sometimes they interview you like a real job and have you take fingerprints like the library job. How often do you commit to volunteering?

I don't want to leave a bad impression but what if I dislike the job and don't want to bother coming back? Are you committed to volunteering a certain amount of time? Can you quit on the spot? How do you know when to quit? I don't want to burn bridges.

How do you find an interesting volunteering job? I had one stuffing things into packets one day a few hours and it was boring. Love pets but allergic to them :(.

I feel that not all volunteering jobs are posted online so it's kind of hard finding an interesting one.

I find volunteering that benefits others in need, keep our planet cleaner and so on. It makes you feel better and making the world a better place. Library is not one of them. :(

I volunteer.. kind of helps with the resume lol.

Did the whole "go down to talk to them' like an interview. We did set certain times and days that I could come- though the supervisor at the time did say- "whatever you can do whenever is fine with us", ; current supervisor I only met once. Did great but lately it's been a bit harder due to nutty health and trying to conserve my gas... but I still go when I can.

I don't know about giving notice but might be a wise idea to say something to them if you plan to leave. If I ever leave or move I do plan on letting them know that I'm ending my volunteer service there.

I was not sure it helped with resume. I want meaningful volunteering work. I do hear the local hospital gives volunteers priority if you apply for a job in the future. Sometimes it depends if you want work with them volunteering even if you do not like could help. It helps to like the job.

Yeah, organizing books just didn't seem meaningful. I wanted to get out and actually shelve outside and do other work, but I was too afraid to ask. I emailed notice over email lol. I did not get a reply. Was that bad? I don't want to do this again lol. I am not sure if they keep tab on how you left.

I agree that gas can be an issue when you're not paid.

I was not sure it helped with resume. I want meaningful volunteering work. I do hear the local hospital gives volunteers priority if you apply for a job in the future. Sometimes it depends if you want work with them volunteering even if you do not like could help. It helps to like the job.

Yeah, organizing books just didn't seem meaningful. I wanted to get out and actually shelve outside and do other work, but I was too afraid to ask. I emailed notice over email lol. I did not get a reply. Was that bad? I don't want to do this again lol. I am not sure if they keep tab on how you left.

I agree that gas can be an issue when you're not paid.

I used to volunteer at the library. I volunteered for about a year and quit because I couldn't afford the gas to go there. It was 20 minutes drive. I agree with you on it not being meaningless.

I had to go through the same process in getting in. Background check and interview like a job. I did give them a notice that I wasn't coming back. Seemed like they didn't care. "Oh okay thanks". Glad I left. Now I volunteer at a senior center helping the office staff doing some office work, computer and menu preparing for the kitchen. Feels more meaningful than the library.

I used to volunteer at the library. I volunteered for about a year and quit because I couldn't afford the gas to go there. It was 20 minutes drive. I agree with you on it not being meaningless.

I had to go through the same process in getting in. Background check and interview like a job. I did give them a notice that I wasn't coming back. Seemed like they didn't care. "Oh okay thanks". Glad I left. Now I volunteer at a senior center helping the office staff doing some office work, computer and menu preparing for the kitchen. Feels more meaningful than the library.

Wow, yeah glad you left. You gave me a good idea. There is a senior center close by. I may try that. I never thought of volunteering there. It does seem meaningful. Glad you like what you do.

I volunteer at my city recycling center when it was first starting and I volunteer to the birds to give them water during the summer. :)

Volunteering is a best way to adopt and learn new things from the different culture, where you can give your time, energy which can bring motivation and a sense of achievement. I haven't done volunteering yet, but my sister believes in working for humanitarian mission and also suggested me to click over here to participate in volunteering with mission humanitaire and support the aid programs.

I volunteered during Labor Day week doing clean up and house demo in post hurricane Harvey in Houston.

Last edited:
I recently re-activated my volunteer status at the VA. If you don't like red tape, don't. ;) but they try to find the most rewarding assignments for you personally. When I had a car, I was sitting with patients at hospice. Some were comatose, but others bring long-lasting memories. Now, dependent on others for transportation, I will be talking with those in their nursing home units. So I need to check out Hoyle for card games. With most, it is not a matter whether you win or not, it is the conversation that goes with it!

I won't be able to decipher "muddy speech", but the others are fine.

I use to volunteer at the animal shelter. I would play with the less loved animals, like rats and bunnies.

I took this shot while volunteering during lunch break. Many of the homes had 3-5 feet of water, everything that got flooded had to be thrown out. You can see the devastation in the photo, the trash was piled up all over the town. The fleets of 18 wheeler dump trucks and grabbers along with garbagemen from San Antonio came to Houston and worked for a month to pick them up and take it to landfill.

760ae007572ec021d0b37699b9d1ee07.png

Back