volunteer firefighter learning ASL

mek42

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my introduction, I'm slowly learning ASL by attending a local deaf chat. I'm also a new volunteer firefighter and feel that I should target some of my ASL learning to be useful in case my department ever gets called to assist a deaf person.

Would it be helpful in an emergency situation with a deaf person for me to be able to sign "I'm learning sign, can I help you?" even if my ASL is slow and little?

What sorts of things should I be focusing on learning to sign if my goal is to be able to achieve at least minimum communication in a fire (or maybe EMS) emergency?

Thank you!

You should not target some of your ASL learning for that purpose. From my perspective, it puts you in the position of being merely a "helper" and not an equal. I don't think, therefore, that it would be totally helpful to be able to sign certain phrases only for that reason.

I don't feel I can ethically say anything more here, since this could put you in, I feel, quite a dangerous position. I will leave this up to other posters.

Back