Voicing with the hearing anyone?

BlackBanana55

Reaction score
Hi! This is Fran here!
I just have a general question for everyone. How do you feel about using your voice with hearing people? It is something that I am always a little afraid to do for some reason. Am I alone?
Fran

My wife will only use her voice with our kids and myself. She just don't feel confrontble infrount of other ppl

My wife will only use her voice with our kids and myself. She just don't feel confrontble infrount of other ppl

Same here that I only use my voice talk to my mom ( can sign and voice), one of my sister can signs and voice and also I have another 2 sisters who cant signs so I use talk with my voice, rest of my family that cant sign so use my voice to talk that one aunt and one uncle, grandmother and 2 cousin ladies that I use my voice. I have one another aunt and HUGE family that I dont talk use my voice which not comfortable so I use write down on papers to tell them that is all :)

i do use my voices alots as im hoh.. my family know signs but they need me to use voices so they can undy what im saying.. if only signs.. they will go blank.. lol..

Hi! This is Fran here!
I just have a general question for everyone. How do you feel about using your voice with hearing people? It is something that I am always a little afraid to do for some reason. Am I alone?
Fran

Hi Fran ! !

No, U are not only one...

Sometimes, I do use my voice to my family only.. not to strangers.

Sometimes to think what if people will criticize about my voice.

Thats normal common to feeling about that.

M-:afro:

I use my voice most of time. I am HOH.. I talk to my kids and my husband. They both are hearing .
I talk to people with my voice, I don't feel shame. I don't care what people think of my voice. This is who I am. Some deaf people don't.

I grew up using my voice only so I am used to people not understanding me and miscommunications. After learning ASL, I stopped using it cuz I basically stop interacting with hearing people. Now, I am slowly using it again with some hearing people who dont know sign and I dont care if they think it sounds funny. If they cant accept it and try to work with me then they are not worth my time.

My son uses his vioce with me some, and sometimes--rarely-- he will use it if he is having trouble making himself understood when communicating with a hearing person. But he doesn't like to use his voice because in the past so many hearing people have asked him if he's MRDD or something because his vioce sounds funny and he doesn't pronounce his words like a hearing person. Always irritated me that the first thing people think is MRDD instead of Deaf.

My son uses his vioce with me some, and sometimes--rarely-- he will use it if he is having trouble making himself understood when communicating with a hearing person. But he doesn't like to use his voice because in the past so many hearing people have asked him if he's MRDD or something because his vioce sounds funny and he doesn't pronounce his words like a hearing person. Always irritated me that the first thing people think is MRDD instead of Deaf.

What is MRDD???

But he doesn't like to use his voice because in the past so many hearing people have asked him if he's MRDD or something because his vioce sounds funny and he doesn't pronounce his words like a hearing person. Always irritated me that the first thing people think is MRDD instead of Deaf.
Ditto. I am very self conscious about my voice b/c of that. One of the BIGGEST reasons why oral-only doesn't work, is that while we can communicate with hearing people, we still sound incredibly funny. There is STILL so much prejudice out there b/c of voice quality. A LOT of people still think I"M retarded b/c my voice still sounds like someone with mental retardation. Oral skills do not provide complete and total equality! I really really wish more of the hardline oral-onlyists understood that!

same here

I use my voice most of time. I am HOH.. I talk to my kids and my husband. They both are hearing .
I talk to people with my voice, I don't feel shame. I don't care what people think of my voice. This is who I am. Some deaf people don't.

My Deaf friend always uses his voice with me and has since i met him. I actually think he should stop using it so much since i am learning ASL i think i might be too dependant on his voice because i understand him perfectly when he speaks. He says i am one of the few people who he has met who doesn't have a problem understanding him. I met a hearing friend of his he has known for years and said around me it was the first time he heard his voice. I thought it strange cause he has always used it with me. His sister is also Deaf and she has started using her voice with me too. He asked me if she does and i said she is very quiet with it. He said she rarely uses it so she must be comfortable with me. It does suck that Deaf are uncomfortable using their voices. I started a thread about voice and how I as a hearing person determine what a person is like from their voice just as much as what they say. All hearing people do to a certain extent. I don't assume people are stupid from their voice though. People that i have spoken to up north think i am stupid because of my thick southern accent but i am very intelligent. i have gone through that a lot and it's annoying hearing people condescend because they assume you don't have two brain cells to rub together. I let every person show me if they are intelligent or not. All of the Deaf i have met have been exceptionally smart. It's a shame there are ignorant hearing out there who can't see that.

I use voice with hearing friends.. sometimes with strangers... i also use voice along with ASL..

Some deafies do not have apitude to use voice.... my deaf roomie cannot read lips or use voice... we both are from deaf families..

:gpost:
Ditto. I am very self conscious about my voice b/c of that. One of the BIGGEST reasons why oral-only doesn't work, is that while we can communicate with hearing people, we still sound incredibly funny. There is STILL so much prejudice out there b/c of voice quality. A LOT of people still think I"M retarded b/c my voice still sounds like someone with mental retardation. Oral skills do not provide complete and total equality! I really really wish more of the hardline oral-onlyists understood that!

Once again, in total agreement with you.

My Deaf friend always uses his voice with me and has since i met him. I actually think he should stop using it so much since i am learning ASL i think i might be too dependant on his voice because i understand him perfectly when he speaks. He says i am one of the few people who he has met who doesn't have a problem understanding him. I met a hearing friend of his he has known for years and said around me it was the first time he heard his voice. I thought it strange cause he has always used it with me. His sister is also Deaf and she has started using her voice with me too. He asked me if she does and i said she is very quiet with it. He said she rarely uses it so she must be comfortable with me. It does suck that Deaf are uncomfortable using their voices. I started a thread about voice and how I as a hearing person determine what a person is like from their voice just as much as what they say. All hearing people do to a certain extent. I don't assume people are stupid from their voice though. People that i have spoken to up north think i am stupid because of my thick southern accent but i am very intelligent. i have gone through that a lot and it's annoying hearing people condescend because they assume you don't have two brain cells to rub together. I let every person show me if they are intelligent or not. All of the Deaf i have met have been exceptionally smart. It's a shame there are ignorant hearing out there who can't see that.

I understand what you mean, when at the same time, you can't exactly blame them because some hearing people just have not been exposed to deaf community and do not understand. This is simply due to the fact that they are uneducated. Well, most of them, at least. They are uneducated about deaf culture, and so they do not understand that we actually have a brain up there ;) I am hard of hearing myself, and grew up in the hearing world because my entire family is hearing and I'm the only deaf person in my family. This sucks sometimes, and a lot of members in my family definitely do not understand hearing culture. So, I do my best to educate them, which eventually causes them to realize that I AM smart and that I DO have a brain. This helps much, haha...

Back