Voice to Text Device

jgearyAuD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know I should probably put this under the deaf devices header, but I was hoping that I might get more response in here. I have a friend of mine who just underwent chemotherapy and lost all hearing in both ears. He is 67 years old and has been hearing his entire life - so he obviously doesnt read lips or sign.

Unfortunately cochlear implant surgury will not work for him because doctors predict that he will only live maybe two more years at best. While he has lost his hearing, he hasnt lost any brain function due to the cancer - he still retains speech and can understand people when they write on a pad of paper.

Since he isnt a candidate for surgury or hearing aids, and doesnt really have much time to learn how to read lips or to sign, I was wondering if there were some sort of device that had vocal recognition software whereby users could speak into the device and it would put it into text, maybe in a palm pilot or something. I know vocal recognition software isnt wonderful, but its better than not being able to communicate.

If anyone knows anything about this, let me know! :)

I do not believe such a device exists.

Most computers these days come with text to speech built-in, but
they pretty much work only if you train them to a particular user's
voice, and even then only under the best conditions. (For
Windows XP, this article will tell you how to set it up):

Speech Recognition with Windows XP

I have always wanted to build such a device, even if the only
thing it displays is a phonetic description of speech. But I have
not yet been successful.

I hope I am wrong and there is already some device out there
that does a reasonable job.

agree with rokicki ,don't believe such a device exists

not yet been successful.

I heard about new way to commuicate called "UbiDou" and heard it even better. Because "UbiDou" u can use face to face commuicate text without a third party interpreter. I heard it great. But sadly it so expensive. The new commication device allow deaf and hoh people that have commuication barrier can use that text machine. It only weight 6 pounds so within a second you can talk independently and privately with anyone, anytime, anywhere. it also portable.

I checked out the UbiDuo. Yeah, it is expensive (nearly 2 thousand dollars). The trouble is that some people might refuse to type. Maybe they don't know how to type or they hunt and peck. I would love to see one that type out by itself whatever a person is speaking and it could come in braillie, perfect for those who are deaf and blind. Of course one needs to type in answers for it to speak to other people. I have looked at speech recognition but I don't think it is perfect yet.

Why doesnt someone make a device that does that? Is there just a shortage of technology or is it shortage of demand?

I will check out the Ubiduo tho.

I am heading to Italy next year and have been researching translating devices. There are devices that exist that I can talk into and will translate to Italian and then replay the translated words for the other person. They also can talk back into the device in Italian and I can have it translated into English.
I would think if they can do that, then something must exist to translate the words into text. I just haven't done enough research to find it.

Those translations may not be accurate. They make a rough translation. I have used the free translation software online to translated some documents and I didn't get perfect English translation.

I checked out the UbiDuo. Yeah, it is expensive (nearly 2 thousand dollars). The trouble is that some people might refuse to type. Maybe they don't know how to type or they hunt and peck. I would love to see one that type out by itself whatever a person is speaking and it could come in braillie, perfect for those who are deaf and blind. Of course one needs to type in answers for it to speak to other people. I have looked at speech recognition but I don't think it is perfect yet.

Yep. They are expensive device that worth 2,000 but I am sure one day the will drop their price down. When? no idea.:eek3:

i never using voice text because im deaf! how communicate with translates!

not yet been successful.

That's right. It's difficult to perfect the software since everyone has different accents and ways of saying things.

For instance, "What's up?" can be said as... "Wazzup!?"

There are also accents such as British accents, Hispanic accents, etc.

The best suggestion is to try to put up with it.

Back