voice-text translation a possible (link)

Potman09

Reaction score
heres the link:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7788/Fonix-to-Showcase-Enhanced-VoiceIn-at-GDC-2005/

as of now its being used in "black hawk down" game thats coming out soon (xbox only i think), no voice-text translation, just the command orderings like rainbow 6, to recogizne voice commands.
still, its sweet. Fonix Speech has a potiental to develop a possible of voice-text translation, we could see every game being released with this idea in the near future, replacing the subtitle a company has to make for only its own game, just put in the enchaned voicein or later version and it's all ready to go without the need of making a subtitle. hell this could even open a door to the possible of using it as a device whenever ya go to a store, bank, or wherever, and ya'd meet people that try to talk to u thru voice, and yu'd use the device to translate the voice into texts, scrolling the texts across the display. bizzare, uh?
the future is almost here... (even tho there's no such thing as the future)

cool, potman! thanks for posting this good link.

Now all Fonix has to do is reverse their technology for us deafies playing on xbox Next Live.... text to voice. They can bring the circle to a complete close!

didnt stephen hawkins use that text-voice transtation device? the guy who invented a theory bout the black holes? i guess there arent enough deaf people who want it, thus too expensive to make 'cause of too few consumers...

is weird to think that the next generation after xbox 2 or the generation after the next generation of xbox 2 (or any next-next generation console)'ll include the voicein exactly the same way closed caption's included in tvs everywhere, captioning almost every broadcast and we'll think the subtitle's so old fashioned like the way we think of 8-track, vcr, hell a big fat box of closed caption ya had to put it on top of the tv...
wow, i feel old.

Last edited:
Potman09 said:
didnt stephen hawkins use that text-voice transtation device? the guy who invented a theory bout the black holes? i guess there arent enough deaf people who want it, thus too expensive to make 'cause of too few consumers...

is weird to think that the next generation after xbox 2 or the generation after the next generation of xbox 2 (or any next-next generation console)'ll include the voicein exactly the same way closed caption's included in tvs everywhere, captioning almost every broadcast and we'll think the subtitle's so old fashioned like the way we think of 8-track, vcr, hell a big fat box of closed caption ya had to put it on top of the tv...
wow, i feel old.
He uses a device that translate text to voice. The voice is already preprogrammed and it's very old, just very difficult to do. It's easy to text to voice because text is the same, no matter what. 100 people could type "How are you doing today?" and it's still the same. However, if 100 people voiced it... it would be different. That's why voice to text technology isn't 100% reliable. In order for it to be reliable, a person would have to go through hundreds of hours of training to have his or her voice learned into the program. How do I know this? We had a company come to NTID and give a presentation on this technology. One person who presented it had worked on it for a long time. He even had hours of training on it. Yet, while he talked... there were still flaws. It would misinterpret what he said and he would have to train that voice into the program again.

VamPyroX said:
He uses a device that translate text to voice. The voice is already preprogrammed and it's very old, just very difficult to do. It's easy to text to voice because text is the same, no matter what. 100 people could type "How are you doing today?" and it's still the same. However, if 100 people voiced it... it would be different. That's why voice to text technology isn't 100% reliable. In order for it to be reliable, a person would have to go through hundreds of hours of training to have his or her voice learned into the program. How do I know this? We had a company come to NTID and give a presentation on this technology. One person who presented it had worked on it for a long time. He even had hours of training on it. Yet, while he talked... there were still flaws. It would misinterpret what he said and he would have to train that voice into the program again.

at least its worked on that'll make it happen, right?
with the way technology is today, its still rapidly growing, who knows what 10 years later'll be like. ya, powerful, but something strange that we might never thought of possible to become reality, like anti gravity heh..

Back