VNG result questions

ash345

Audist Free Zone
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK... so I was wondering... does anyone actually understand the results of an VNG? I have the results... and my doctor didn't know to to explain them in a human language... the one finding that was significant, according to the results, is a "35% directional preponderance to the left which could indicate either a peripheral or central pathology" and I have no idea what that means... and sadly google has given me no help in this... and I know I have to have an MRI... but... I would really like to know what this means... any help would be wonderful!

OK... so I was wondering... does anyone actually understand the results of an VNG? I have the results... and my doctor didn't know to to explain them in a human language... the one finding that was significant, according to the results, is a "35% directional preponderance to the left which could indicate either a peripheral or central pathology" and I have no idea what that means... and sadly google has given me no help in this... and I know I have to have an MRI... but... I would really like to know what this means... any help would be wonderful!

Means peripheral you can have a tumor or lesion with the cochlea or cochlear/vestibular nerve.

Central pathology would mean a tumor or lesion in brainstem, cerebrum, or cerebellum.

Means peripheral you can have a tumor or lesion with the cochlea or cochlear/vestibular nerve.

Central pathology would mean a tumor or lesion in brainstem, cerebrum, or cerebellum.

thank you botti... I don't understand why my ENT couldn't have just expressed that... though he did say the word tumor... i'm not 100% it makes me feel better knowing what it could mean... but at least I understand why the ENT says that I need an MRI. Thanks.

thank you botti... I don't understand why my ENT couldn't have just expressed that... though he did say the word tumor... i'm not 100% it makes me feel better knowing what it could mean... but at least I understand why the ENT says that I need an MRI. Thanks.

You are welcome. And that doesn't mean you are in any danger really.

I think he probably thought it would frighten you.

My husband's cousin just had an acoustic neuroma and he elected to have radiation for it. He is doing just fine.

You are welcome. And that doesn't mean you are in any danger really.

I think he probably thought it would frighten you.

My husband's cousin just had an acoustic neuroma and he elected to have radiation for it. He is doing just fine.

yeah... I just don't like the thought of something being in my head that shouldn't be... or the surgery to get it (or get it out)... do you happen to know what they would do about the lesions? The ENT mentioned something about the "possibility of me loosing the little hearing i have", that I don't care about, I'm deaf already... I just am mentally freaking out a little about the possibility of a tumor... I shut down a little when he said it... this isn't the first cancer scare i've had...

yeah... I just don't like the thought of something being in my head that shouldn't be... or the surgery to get it (or get it out)... do you happen to know what they would do about the lesions? The ENT mentioned something about the "possibility of me loosing the little hearing i have", that I don't care about, I'm deaf already... I just am mentally freaking out a little about the possibility of a tumor... I shut down a little when he said it... this isn't the first cancer scare i've had...

Lesions , depending on location, can be removed.

A lesion isn't necessarily going to kill you. I have punched out lesions all over my retinas from my eye disease. It isn't removable, but it isn't going to do anything but take my vision.

So try not to worry too much. It could be nothing. They are just speculating from the test you had. You will get more extensive tests that hopefully find the problem.

And you are getting entrenched with a Deaf community out there anyway, so losing the last of your hearing probably shouldn't be a big concern.

Lesions , depending on location, can be removed.

A lesion isn't necessarily going to kill you. I have punched out lesions all over my retinas from my eye disease. It isn't removable, but it isn't going to do anything but take my vision.

So try not to worry too much. It could be nothing. They are just speculating from the test you had. You will get more extensive tests that hopefully find the problem.

And you are getting entrenched with a Deaf community out there anyway, so losing the last of your hearing probably shouldn't be a big concern.

loosing the last o my hearing isn't a concern. thank you. you have actually made me feel better!!!!

Back