Visual Smoke Alarms

NACHI

Reaction score
Thanks to a FEMA/DHS Grant, the NACHI Foundation (501c3) is offering Gentex plugin visual smoke alarms free to any mid to low income deaf and hard of hearing households. We are offering one per bedroom that houses a deaf or hard of hearing individual(s). There is no catch, no fee.

For more information, email me. To apply, visit www.safehousecampaign.com, where you can apply online. Also, if you know any victims of Hurricane Katrina that are living in temporary housing that could benefit, we urge you to help them apply.

Daniel Frend,
Director

donations

Additionally, we are NOT soliciting public donations right now, as we are well aware of the scams surrounding Katrina.

Thanks for this info I'll pass it onto the deaf grapevine.

Richard

Thank you very much. Look for our program ad in the upcoming NAD magazine.

Also, we are always looking for volunteers to help with the program. None of our leadership is deaf or hard of hearing. We worked very closely with several activists in the Maryland area, including representatives of the state's own program.

We have 1,000 of these to give away, and hopefully we can find a corporate sponsor to help fund this past the grant period.

We have started shipping, including a few to some from this site. Keep the applications coming.

Sounded good! I was wondering if I could request hard wired model? I really prefer hard wired model, because they are much safer, and can be tandem connected. Tandem connection has real advantage, when one alarm goes off, all of the other connected alarms go off too! Its good to have one unit, but it would be sufficicent for small house. But with house with multiple rooms, it is better to have more than just one.

FYI: If anyone who need alarm because of HUD inspection requirement, usually plugged unit is NOT approved for HUD inspection purposes.

What we really need is CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM for the deaf!!! I can't believe none of manufacturers are willing to adapt them with strobes, nor interconnected with smoke detectors. PFFFT!

As of right now, we have no hard wired ones available. What I want to do Is get a few for our next purchase of 500 alarms.

You are right, hard wired is much prefered, and much more effective. I encourage you to purchase them, if possible. Our goal is to allow those who have older homes and little income an opportunity to have SOME protection. Plug in is not ideal, but it is at least some protection.

You are also correct about HUD inspections.

Back