Visual phonics, the new CS

flip

Reaction score
To be honest, I sometimes feel CS is a bit out of date. You know, not supported by Gally anymore and bashed at stage by students at CSUN. For you who want to be updated with the latest trends and implants, trying to staying hip and chic with oralism, check Visual Phonics. Invented at Gallaudet in the 80's, a bit more effective compared to the old CS system according to some professonials.(ok, still no research..)

See that Sound--KidsWorld Deaf Net E-Doc--Gallaudet's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center

Check the fancy workshop:
Welcome to VisualPhonics :: Incredibly Powerful and Fun Visual Phonics Tactics

Interesting reading.
Thanks for that link!

Cued Speech and Visual Phonics: How Do They Differ?

Visual Phonics and Cued Speech are different in both structure and intent. In Cued Speech, sounds are represented by a combination of designated handshapes and positions in conjunction with mouth movements. As defined by the National Cued Speech Association (2000), Cued Speech is a sound-based visual communication system. In English, it requires eight handshapes in four different locations in combination with the natural mouth movements of speech, to visually differentiate the sounds of spoken language (National Cued Speech Association).

Visual Phonics differentiates each sound by representing it with a different handshape and movement that mimic how the sound is produced. It is a tool to assist in decoding and producing the sounds in the English language. It was not designed to be used in conjunction with spoken conversation. The goal is to clarify the sound symbol relationship between spoken English and print.

Visual Phonics can be used with deaf students who use any communication methodology. It can be used as needed to help with pronunciation during speaking or decoding during reading. As the child internalizes the English sound/symbol code, use of Visual Phonics fades.

To be honest, I sometimes feel CS is a bit out of date. You know, not supported by Gally anymore and bashed at stage by students at CSUN. For you who want to be updated with the latest trends and implants, trying to staying hip and chic with oralism, check Visual Phonics. Invented at Gallaudet in the 80's, a bit more effective compared to the old CS system according to some professonials.(ok, still no research..)

See that Sound--KidsWorld Deaf Net E-Doc--Gallaudet's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center

Check the fancy workshop:
Welcome to VisualPhonics :: Incredibly Powerful and Fun Visual Phonics Tactics

If one is intent in producing elevated literacy scores in deaf children, Visual Phonics makes much more sense than CS.

Flip,
I just accessed a very interesting article from professional journal regarding Visual Phonics. If you would like a copy, pm me.

Flip,
I just accessed a very interesting article from professional journal regarding Visual Phonics. If you would like a copy, pm me.
If you could send me a copy, that would be great!
Or just post the information here...

WOW!!!! :jaw: Jillo and Cloggy are finally nice to each other! :giggle:

I am glad to see that! :cheers: to both of u!

WOW!!!! :jaw: Jillo and Cloggy are finally nice to each other! :giggle:

I am glad to see that! :cheers: to both of u!

I'll play nice when others play nice.:giggle: And I will also share articles towhich I have access in order that others do not have to pay for them. I only need to be asked nicely.:giggle:

Oh Great!

When I began to relearn ASL 4 years ago, my Deaf instructors
were constantly correcting my because I had old signs!
Am I now going to be learning OLD Visual Phonics?
I feel like I'm in a time warp with electronics stuff
any way! Now it's happening with communication! Pretty
soon they'll be training us to shorten each of our brain
wave patterns! "No No No, you must use Alpha 1 a now,
not the old Alpha" Sigh!

When I began to relearn ASL 4 years ago, my Deaf instructors
were constantly correcting my because I had old signs!
Am I now going to be learning OLD Visual Phonics?
I feel like I'm in a time warp with electronics stuff
any way! Now it's happening with communication! Pretty
soon they'll be training us to shorten each of our brain
wave patterns! "No No No, you must use Alpha 1 a now,
not the old Alpha" Sigh!

LOL! Learning is a lifelong pursuit!

Jillo, can u email me the article? I am interested in learning about Visual Phonics. Thanks!

I'll play nice when others play nice.:giggle: And I will also share articles towhich I have access in order that others do not have to pay for them. I only need to be asked nicely.:giggle:

Woohooo! Free Stuff! (With a family of 7 kids and 1 husband and 1 mom,
I'm ALL about Free Stuff!

Woohooo! Free Stuff! (With a family of 7 kids and 1 husband and 1 mom,
I'm ALL about Free Stuff!

Does that mean that you would like a copy of the article, as well? If so, pm me with your email address.

Back