Virginia School for the deaf or surroundings

Mr.JayDeeM

Reaction score
Who here enrolled to Vsdb at one point and transferred or graduated there as well? I graduated there in 2006. I just like to see who been there or who heard about that school.

I didn't attend VSDB, but I knew several of the kids from there. They used to come to my school for sport games againist the school.

Jay, do you know "Ridor"? He graduated from VSDB....

Thats cool, when the last time you went against them? Basketball? Vsdb shut down football back in 1980's or so, I cant remember.
I don't remember - I believe in the mid 1980's when I was in elementary/middle school. I don't live in Tennessee anymore.

I know "Ridor" but not well and I've attended VSDB for 2 or 3 years. I'm not a grad of VSDB nor is Ridor and yes he did attend VSDB for many years. We are both grads of MSSD.

EDIT: I think I'm a bit confused... or is it his brother Gary who's a grad of MSSD?

I graduated from the VSDB (Staunton) in 2004. which VSDB are you talking about? the hampton or staunton one? or both? just wondering.

I assume they're talking about Staunton. VSDB in Hampton is normally referred to as Hampton School for the Deaf in order to avoid confusion.

I know "Ridor" but not well and I've attended VSDB for 2 or 3 years. I'm not a grad of VSDB nor is Ridor and yes he did attend VSDB for many years. We are both grads of MSSD.

EDIT: I think I'm a bit confused... or is it his brother Gary who's a grad of MSSD?

I know he has a sister but didn't know he had a brother but I will venture to guess (something in the cob webs of the ole granary) that Ridor(Ricky) graduated from VSDB

Ridor's siblings are: Karen, Billy Jr., Lily, Hedy and Gary.

I believe Ridor graduated from VSDB in between 1990 and 1993. I cannot remember when.

VSDB in Hampton is normally referred to as Hampton School for the Deaf in order to avoid confusion
. And besides, Hampton is for mostly MR/multihandicapped kids.

Ridor's siblings are: Karen, Billy Jr., Lily, Hedy and Gary.

I believe Ridor graduated from VSDB in between 1990 and 1993. I cannot remember when.

Looks like they recently had the Hampton campus shut down.

You're correct. Ridor graduated from VSDB in 1991.

As for the VSDB-Hampton Campus, There has been talks since 2003 of both campus consolidating. I believe the Hampton campus has not been officially shut down as of now, but it is downsizing though. (I could be mistaken though)

According to the Virginia Department for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advisory Board Minutes as of May 2007, This is what I found regarding to this matter --

http://www.vddhh.org/downloads/advisoryboardminutesa20080507.doc. (This is if you have a microsoft works/office)

FOLLOW-UP ON VSDB SCHOOLS/CONSOLIDATION – KAREN TRUMP:
Efforts have been made for many years to consolidate the VA Schools for the Deaf and Blind. Beginning in 2003, serious action was taken by the General Assembly and Board of Education to bring this issue to resolution. The idea has been that if the two schools were brought together, better use can be made of programs and resources. Ninety-five percent of the operating budget is used for staff, leaving little for assistive technology, books, trips, etc. The 2007 General Assembly budgeted 71.5 million dollars to improve and consolidate the Staunton campus.

Ms. Trump explained that, from an historical prospective the two schools were separated because of racial segregation. The Hampton school was originally built for black students, then became a school for children with multiple disabilities.

Ms. Trump has been working for the past two years with architects and engineers to analyze the campus and buildings to identify and plan a more efficient layout and also to identify historic structures that must be preserved. She discussed some of the plans briefly for renovations of classrooms, dormitories and staff/maintenance buildings.

The next six or seven months will be spent finalizing the design for maximum use of resources. The focus will be to get the education buildings finished as soon as possible, then the focus will be on the dorms. The dorm staff has been asked to provide input on the design of the dormitories.

Members asked if CORE will continue to be involved and Ms. Trump stated that Sandra Ruffin oversees education requirements and, of course, the school must fall under these requirements. Residential component must fall under the regulations for children’s residential facilities.

The school is recruiting for 45 positions, currently 15 are filled. They plan to receive 20 more students and service will be provided by staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The school will be working over the summer to ensure that ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards are met.

The school is developing horticulture and woodworking programs and pays tuition to Valley Technology for these classes. They are also looking into EFE (Education for Employment) classes which will help students explore career interests. Ms. Trump stated that completion of the consolidation project is anticipated in 22 to 24 months.

VDDHH was involved in the task force in the beginning leading up to the consolidation. Ron Lanier, Director, is on the Architectural Committee.

<--Been to Staunton Campus VSDB like 2 times when it was TSD vs VSDB (1st time for football then 2nd for track and Im just the waterboy!)

and that was in the 1980's.

Back