Village Idiot....almost

JimK

Reaction score
I almost pulled off a real good one last night. I was running late for an appointment and wanted to grab a quick shower and after jumping in the nice hot water and lathering up it dawned on me I had forgotten to remove my HA's. Nosw you talk about panic....man I jumped out of that shower with water dripping every where I grabbed a towel and tried to dry them off and get the batteries out. well.....after he shower and getting dressed I noticed that the HA's didn't get too we and seemed dry in the battery compartment. Anyway, the experience is a great illustration as to the comfort of HA's.

Anyone else ever goof up like that? Man I wish they made them water proof.
Best,
Jim

I've done that a couple of times. I remember standing in the shower thinking how loud and clear the shower sounded and how that was so out of place. The I suddenly realized why and jumped out. In my case I am a bit tall so the I have to bend down to get my head under the shower head and I hadn't don't that yet. So I lucked out. Now I have a water resistant CI, but I haven't repeated the mistake with it yet.

Wow. I must be one of the lucky few who have never done that. Maybe I'm overly paranoid!! :lol: If I even see anyone talking about water, the HAs come out !! :lol:

I made that mistake once. And, they do make waterproof aids today.

I'd use a dehumidifier on it next time that happens. I've had times were the aid has gotten damp and didn't seem to function well. The dehumidifier seemed to solve the dampness problem.

I did that when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I had both of my hearing aids on. Bathtub full of water. Then I laid back in the tub to submerge my head. I jump right back up when it dawned on me that I have not taken my hearing aids out!!

My mom took the batteries out and took a blow dryer to dry them out. I do not know how my HAs survived but it worked afterwards, til I got some new ones about 6 months later.

I did have my hearing aid ruined one time when ONE drop of rain hit the microphone. Yes, one big rain drop. Had to send it off to get fixed and recased.

I almost did that once! I heard of a guy taking a shower and thinking wow I can hear the water , my hearing is getting better! Then he realize he still had his HA on!!

I was told about a guy that got a phone call while he was eating his breakfast and the call did not go too good. He hung up the phone picked up his pills he had on the table and washed them down with OJ . The guy was so pissed off
he also picked up his HA that fit right inside your ear and swallowed that too!

Had to send it off to get fixed and recased.

they actually send you a completely new one. they don't really fix it cuz it's cost-effective to just send you new one than to take it apart

they actually send you a completely new one. they don't really fix it cuz it's cost-effective to just send you new one than to take it apart

Basically...... Rebulted one, with a new casing.

After jumping feet first off a pier into a lake, I quickly realized I had my hearing aid on. I say quickly because I barely had time to thrash weirdly as soon as I hit the water. I must have done it right, since my head stayed above the surface. :lol:

well, the people who did it didn't know I wear HA and as a joke they threw me
into the swimming pool with my clothes on and all...
of course, after that I had to buy a new ones as the HAs were a few years old, and the delicate wires rusted thru from the wet event.

Once I removed my HAs at night in totall darkness and plonked them right into the glass with water :eek3:
what ironic, when in the morning I exclaimed in horror what happened,
my little girl who back then slept next to me, said:
Yeah, I heard something plonk mom, but I thought it supposed to be! :roll:

Another expensive to fix mistake...

and once yes, I almost poured shower water on while wearing the HAs
but this time I jumped out in time, whew...

Fuzzy

well, the people who did it didn't know I wear HA and as a joke they threw me
into the swimming pool with my clothes on and all...
of course, after that I had to buy a new ones as the HAs were a few years old, and the delicate wires rusted thru from the wet event.

Once I removed my HAs at night in totall darkness and plonked them right into the glass with water :eek3:
what ironic, when in the morning I exclaimed in horror what happened,
my little girl who back then slept next to me, said:
Yeah, I heard something plonk mom, but I thought it supposed to be! :roll:

Another expensive to fix mistake...

and once yes, I almost poured shower water on while wearing the HAs
but this time I jumped out in time, whew...

Fuzzy

Hmmm. I remember once I went canoeing and dropped the camera into the water. A couple days later I brought it to a camera shop and they said I should have put the camera in a bag of water to prevent rusting. I wonder if the same principle applies to hearing aids?

I wonder if the same principle applies to hearing aids?

lolol

Maybe, since rusting is a chemical reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture.
there is also non - rust metal corrosion
akin to rusting, where other metals come into contact with oxygen and water or moisture.

So it does seem to make sense keeping the metals completely immersed
in water as it reduce the exposure to air, thus the oxygen.

Sorry about your camera :wave:

The good things that come from mishaps like this are- we get to have fun buying a new toys, eh! :)

Fuzzy

I done it loads of times when I growing up. I think it happens often cos I can't hear well with HA, sometimes it feels like I am not wearing it so I don't notice. I been shower with HA, bath, swimming, sea, etc. They survived all. If I did that with digital aids they be dead straight away and analogue very tough HA.

I've done that a couple of times. I remember standing in the shower thinking how loud and clear the shower sounded and how that was so out of place. The I suddenly realized why and jumped out. In my case I am a bit tall so the I have to bend down to get my head under the shower head and I hadn't don't that yet. So I lucked out. Now I have a water resistant CI, but I haven't repeated the mistake with it yet.

wow... I've never gotten into the shower with my HA's on... I can always tell when I have my HA's in, because of the major changes in hearing... i don't hear anything in the shower, and that is very happy... because i've turned the water on in the bathroom with my has still on... and I HATE it... it scares me...

I almost pulled off a real good one last night. I was running late for an appointment and wanted to grab a quick shower and after jumping in the nice hot water and lathering up it dawned on me I had forgotten to remove my HA's. Nosw you talk about panic....man I jumped out of that shower with water dripping every where I grabbed a towel and tried to dry them off and get the batteries out. well.....after he shower and getting dressed I noticed that the HA's didn't get too we and seemed dry in the battery compartment. Anyway, the experience is a great illustration as to the comfort of HA's.

Anyone else ever goof up like that? Man I wish they made them water proof.
Best,
Jim
LOL once I got in the shower forgetting to take them out, realised and went to put them on the windowledge to get them away from the water quickly, but in a panic they slipped and I dropped them into the bath XD bad times, thankfully they didn't get broken lol

I remember going to Michigan with my family on a summer vacation when i was probably about 5 or 6 years old. I was swimming in the beach, I had goggles on and i was looking down under the water and I could hear noises. I got out of the beach and said "Mommy, i can hear again!!" my mom looked confused and then her facial expression changed and she grabbed my HA's off of my ears, ran inside and got the hair dryer and came out to the front door of our cabin and sat down with the hair dryer and dried my HA's. My mom was lecturing me about how I should be more careful with my HA's back then.

Also, I forgot to take my CI off a few years ago when I was going into the shower. I ran out of the shower, took out the battery and put it in my Dri-aid box in my room and left it in there for about 24 hours. But I was lucky enough that it didn't break, otherwise my parents would kill me. So from now on I was always careful and cautious with my "ears" because of the money my parents have paid for them and that it was my responsibility to take care of them.

Back