[VIDEO] Cued Speech (ASL, English Open Captions and text transcript)

Taric25

Reaction score
Cued Speech on YouTube
[yt]plPw4H-ZsMg[/yt]
(relaxing music)

(music continues)
The NCSA logo is below text:
"For more information, please visit or call:
National Cued Speech Association
USA 1-800-459-3529 v/tty"

Text:
""At first people refuse to believe that
a strange new thing can be done,
then they see it can be done,
then it is done and all the world
wonders why it was not done centuries ago."
Frances Hodgsen"

Dr. Orin Cornett speaks. Open captions and American Sign Language (ASL), appear at the bottom of the screen. The interpreter, Jeffrey Jaech, is white male, with a black shirt and is the same throught this entire video.
Cornett: Hello, my name is Orin Cornett. I am director of Cued Speech programs at Gallaudet College in Washington D.C.

Now, a puzzle piece, with a star-shaped logo, is ready to complete a puzzle. Text:
"BREAKING THE CODE
unlocking the CUErriculum"

Catherine Quenin, PhD, Professor of Speech-Language Pathology appears cueing and speaking, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Quenin: Dr. Cornett, the inventor of Cued Speech– He wanted Deaf kids to have the same window on the world that all kids should have.

A video of Dr. Cornett shows himself and female interviewer. He shows parts of Cued Speech handshapes.
Cornett: So the purpose of Cued Speech is to add just enough information tp what is seen on the lips to make every sound look different from every other sound.

Now, text appears with images of the Cued Speech handshapes and placements.
"CUED SPEECH is a visual communication system that uses 8 handshaps in 4 placements near the face, in combination with the mouth movements of speech, to make the sounds of spoken language look different from each other."
Handshape 1 is a fist with an extended index finger. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 1
/d, p, zh/
deep treasure"
("D" and "P" in "deep are bold. "S" in "treasure" is bold.)
Side placement is to the right of the body, next to the neck. Text is below the placement.
"Side"
Handshape 2 is a fist with the index and middle finger extended. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 2
/TH, k, v, z/
the caves"
("th" in "the" is bold, and "c", "v", and "s" in "caves" are bold.)
Handshape 3 is a fist with the pinky, ring finger and middle finger extended. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 3
/s, h, r/
sea horse"
("s" in "sea" is bold, and "h" and "rs" in "horse" are bold.)
Placement 2 is at the chin. Text is below the handshape.
"Chin"
Handshape 4 is a fist with the index finger, middle finger, ring finger and pinky extended. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 4
/wh, b, n/
white bone"
("wh" in "white" is bold, and "b" and "n" in "bone" are bold.)
Handshape 5 is a hand having all fingers extended, with the thumb resting apart. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 5
/m, t, f/ & vowel alone
my taffy"
("m" in "my" is bold, and "t" and "ff" in "taffy" are bold.)
Placement 3 is at the throat. Text is below the placement.
"Throat"
Handshape 6 is a fist with the index finger and thumb extended and resting apart. Text is below the handshape.
"Handshape 6
/w, sh, l/
wet shell"
("w" in "wet is bold, and "sh" and "ll" in "shell" are bold.)
Handshape 7 is a fist having the index finger and ring finger extended and the thumb extended and resting apart.
"Handshape 7
/th, j, g/
thin jogger"
("th" in "thin" is bold, and "j" and "gg" in "jogger" are bold.)
Placement 4 is at the right edge of the mouth. Text is below the placement.
"Mouth"
Handshape 8 is a fist with the index finger and ring finger extended, resting apart in a V-shape. Text is below the placement.
"Handshape 8
/y, ng, ch/
young child"
("y" and "ng" in "young" are bold, and "ch" in "child" is bold.)

Katherine Dowling, Child Of Deaf Adults, appears using ASL, accompanied by open captions only.
Dowling: (no voice)
Caption:
"IT'S A VISUAL WAY OF HEARING, EVERY
CONSONANT, EVERY VOWEL HAS A
HAND SHAPE AND PLACEMENT, AND ITS
LIKE ONE GIANT PUZZLE."

Now, Quenin again appears, speaking and cueing, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Quenin: It's a code that kids like to play around with.

A video of a young girl, standing in front of a microphone, with 3"x5" cards, with her classmates behind her, is accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Girl: Cueing is a form of language we use to communicate with our Deaf classmate paul.
Girl#2: (no voice)
A video shows a different girl cueing to Paul. Paul wears glasses and body-worn hearing aid. He cues to his classmates.
Paul: (no voice)
Girl: It is fun and easy to learn. Next year, some of you will learn to cue.
A video shows a woman reading a book. Her pin has text: "I CUE".
A video shows Paul and his classmates signing and cueing.
Class: (no voice)

A black-and-white video shows Sarina Roffé and her baby boy.
Roffé: My son was diagnosed at age eight months.
As Roffé speaks, her voice is accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Sarina Roffé, President NCSA, appears, speaking and cueing. The open captions and ASL continue, as Roffé speaks.
Roffé: He had all the advantages of good early intervention, aided at nine months,
A black-and-white video shows her son playing, wearing two body-worn hearing aids.
Roffé: so he should not have been so language delayed, and I heard Dr. Cornett talk.
A video shows Dr. Cornett giving a presentation.
Roffé: At the time, simon had a vocabulary of only 150 words,
A video shows Roffé cueing. Now, a Roffé's son and a girl in a pink shirt and sit on a classroom floor, and Roffe's con claps eagerly.
Roffé: and he said to me, "If you go home, and you learn to cue, in six months, he will probably have 500 new words."
A video shows Roffé's son speaking and cueing.
Roffé's son: (no voice)
Roffé: In a year, he was talking in sentances, and withint 22 months, he made a five year leap in language.

Text:
"92% of deaf cuers have better
spoken language comprenesion
than deaf students who use
alternative approaches.
–Berendt, 1996"

A video shows a teacher and her students cueing.
Teacher and students: (no voice)
Jennifer Bien, MA, EdM, Special and Deaf Educator, speaks and cues, accompanied by ASL and open captions.
Bien: How do you know if a child needs cueing? Is the child on grade level?
A video shows a schoolgirl reading, in class. The open captions and ASL continue, as Bien speaks.
Bien: Is the child able to read on or close to grade level, with what their natural abilities are?

Elissa Speach, MD, speaks only, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Speach: It does help kids who use it continue to develop literacy, at a rate comperable to their Hearing peers.

Cathy Mikus, standing in a classroom, speaks only, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Classroom: (background noise)
Mikus: My husband and I adopted a little boy from China, almost three years ago. He started cueing, in the fall of 2003, and he had no language,
The camera changes angle and shows Mikus' son cueing. The open captions and ASL continue, as Mikus speaks.
Mikus' son: (no voice)
Mikus: and now, in the spring of 2006, he's testing at grade level for reading–
The camera changes angle showing adults cueing to Mikus' son.
Adults: (no voice)
Mikus: about a 1st grade reading level. I attribute all of his reading abilities to cueing.

Text:
"The average deaf student
reads at a 3rd to 4th grade level.
– Conrad, 1979; Traxler, 2000

In comparison, there is no statistical
difference between hearing students and
deaf cuers on literacy, sound awareness,
rhyming, internal speech, and spelling tests.
– Wandel, 1989, Leybaert et al, 1996; 2003"

A video shows Rob & Christine Izzo's son, sitting on the floor, and in a cueing classroom, with a woman sitting with him, holding his hands. Open captions and ASL appear, as Quenin speaks.
Quenin: Kids with down syndrome is a new
Quenin appears cueing and speaking, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Quenin speaks.
Quenin: application for cued speech.

Open captions and ASL continue, as Christine Izzo speaks.
Christine Izzo: He loves reading. He loves books, and we wanna' really (really want to) do a lot more with phonics,
Rob & Christine Izzo's son is shown again, in the classroom, and his classmates cue. He reaches for a book.
Rob & Christine Izzo appear. Christine Izzo speaks only, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Christine Izzo speaks.
Christine Izzo: and I think that Cued Speech will really help with that.

Text:
"Cued Speech supports students with auditory processing needs, including:

ARTICULATION
2ND LANGUAGE LEARNERS
LEARNING DISABILITIES
AUTISM SPECTRUM SISORDERS
DOWN SYNDROME
– Beck, 2002"

Bien, speaks and cues, accompanied by ASL and open captions.
Bien: Sometimes students come late to this country,
A White girl and a Honduran girl appear in a playroom. The open captions and ASL continue, as Bien speaks.
Text:
"Foster student from Honduras"
Bien: and learning auditorally, when there's a language delay,
A video shows the Honduran girl cueing.
Honduran girl: (no voice)
Bien: is often difficult,
A video shows a white man cueing to the Honduran girl. Text appears.
"Cannot benefit from hearing aids
or a cochlear implant"
Bien: and providing a multi-sensory approach often benefits late language users.
A video shows the Honduran girl, reading a book and cueing.
Honduran girl: (speaking with an accent) "Look here. Look here. See the little boat, the little yellow boat."

Text:
"Esentially, 100% of spoken language
is accessible with the addition of Cued Speech.
– Nichols & Ling, 1982"

Terrence Tucker appears, in a classroom, speaking only, accompanied by ASL and open captions, but the captions and interpreter omit the word "and" at the begining of his sentance.
Tucker: and it's not limited to one language. It's good for every language. It there's sound, you can use Cued Speech.

A black and white video shows a woman playing with a girl, cueing and speaking, accompanied by subtitles and open captions only.

Woman: Comment tu t'apples?
Subtitle:
"What is your name?"

Girl: Je m'appelle Cathy.
Subtitle:
"My name is Cathy."

Woman: (laughter)

Mikus appears in the classroom, speaking only, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Mikus: If someday he wants to back to China and learn Chinese, he can do that.
Mikus' son appears cueing, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Mikus speaks.
Mikus son: (no voice)

Abie Abrams, RIT Sign Language Interpreter, appears speaking only, accompanied by open captions an ASL.
Abrams: With Cued Speech, I don't have to know what something means. I just go literally by sound, and I'd be able to keep up with the instructor a lot better than figerspelling every word.

Hillary Franklin, MA, Columbia University Instructor, appears cueing and speaking, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Franklin: (speaking with impediment) I really enjoy playing with languages and words and figuring out why we say things a certain way,
A video shows Franklin appears in a room, wearing a Columbia sweater, going over classwork, with another girl, the open captions and ASL continue, as Franklin speaks, but the captions and interpreter omit the quiet speaking.
Franklin & another girl: (speaking quietly)
Now, we see Franklin speaking and cueing.
Franklin: and I don't think I would have that, if I hadn't been exposed to cueing.
Frankln and another girl continue to work on their Spanish vocabulary, cueing and speaking, accompanied by open captions only.
Another girl: Abuelo (pronounced incorrectly, a-bwah-lo), yeah.
Franklin: Not a-bwah, a-bweh.

(Transcriber's note: Abuleo is Spanish for "Grandfather")

Now, Mikus' son, Speach's daughter and other children with cochlear implants cue.
Open captions and ASL appear, as Speach speaks.
Children: (no voice)
Speach: I see cueing being the perfect complement to the input provided by implants,
Speach's daughter and other children with cochlear implants cue.
Children: (no voice)
Speech:because we were cuing before with her, once she was implanted and had to relearn how to hear,
Now we see Speach, speaking only, and the open captions and ASL continue, as she speaks.
Speach: it was perfect, because she already knew the phonemes and what it sounded like. It wasn't long, before she was actually speaking better than she had before, and I really think that had a lot to do with the Cued Speech.

Speach's daughter appears in the classroom, speaking only, accompanied by open captions and ASL, but the captions and interpreter omit "they when–".
Speach's daugher: (speaking perfectly) When my implant is off, at home, they when– they cue for me, and I can lip-read them.

Now, in a pizzeria, a woman cues to a boy wearing a cochlear implant, who is eating a pizza.
Woman: (no voice)
Speach: If we're in a large group, or it's noisy with a lot of background noise, I would always cue for her.

Now, at a ski resort, a man takes off his glove and begins cueing to a child, as a woman cued to a nother child.
Man and woman: (no voice)

Text:
"Some research suggests that children with
cochelar implants, efucated with
Cued Speech, may have better speech
clarity with correct syntax tha
children habilitated with oral or gestural
means only.
– C. Coleon, 1997; Vieu, 1997; Descourtieux, 1998"

Tucker appears, in the classroom, speaking only, accompanied by open captions and ASL, but the interpreter and the captions omit "is–".
Tucker: My son, Max, is– has a condition called Auditory Neuropathy,
Tucker's son appears playing in the classroom, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Tucker speaks.
Tucker: and he has a cochlear implant. I can certainly see a difference,
Tucker appears, in the classroom, speaking only.
Tucker: in him being able to determine what word we're using, by some simple cueing.

Mikus appears, in the classroom, speaking only, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Mikus: Implant alone,
Mikus son plays in the classroom, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Mikus speaks.
Mikus: he probably gets two words out of a ten word sentence,
Mikus appears, in the classroom, speaking only,
Mikus: and with cueing, he'll get the entire thing.
Mikus' son appears, with a woman and a boy, playing a game.
Mikus' son: (speaking with impediment) I did it.

In the classroom, various children and adults cue.
Children and adults: (no voice)
Open captions and ASL appear, as Quenin speaks.
Quenin: Cued Speech is becoming more popular.
Quenin appears, cueing and speaking, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Quenin speaks.
Quenin: People are more aware of it, in academic settings.
A teacher uses Cued Speech in a classroom.
Teacher: (no voice)
Quenin: There are still too few people who know how to do it.

Dowling and Nicole Roffé appear using American Sign Languag, accompanied by open captions only.
Caption:
"THEY'RE NOT AWARE OF WHAT IT IS.
YOU TRY TO EXPLAIN IT TO THEM AND...
"WHY NOT JUST SIGN?""
Nicole Roffé: (no voice)
Caption:
"DEAF PEOPLE ARE THREATENED BY IT
BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'LL REPLACE
A.S.L. WHICH IT IS NOT."

Now, Sarina Roffé appears, speaking and cueing, accompanied by open captions and ASL.
Sarina Roffé: It's not that they have to choose between signing or oralism. They can go in either direction and can still achieve.
A video shows a female teacher teaching alongside a male Cued Speech transliterator, another female teacher cueing, students cueing, and yet another female teacher teaching alongside a female transliterator. The girl in the pink shirt raises her hand, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Sarina Roffé speaks.
Teachers, transliterators and students: (no voice)
Sarina Roffé: it's just that cueing gives them access to language– to English lanuage, in a way that they had not seen it before.

Text:
"ASL has a different
grammatical structure than English.

Signing systems, typically used in school
programs, fo not effectively convey
English because they are not sound-based.
–Drasgow & Paul, 1995

In contrast, Cued Speech
conveys English visually.
–Nichols & Ling, 1982"

Speach appears, speaking only, accompanied by open captions and ASL, but the captions have "got to" instead of "gotta'" and omit "; ya' know.".
Speach: The publicity's gotta' get out there, about Cued Speech; ya' know. People just have to make it more known.

Franklin teaches Dowling, Nicole Roffé and two girls, in a class room, using Cued Speech.
Franklin: (no voice)
Open captions and ASL appear, as Sarina Roffé speaks.
Sarina Roffé: We now have Deaf cue adults to go out there
Dowling cues.
Sarina Roffé: and advocate for cueing, and that's something we didn't have 20 years ago.
Sarina Roffé appears, cueing and speaking, and open captions and ASL appear, as Sarina Roffé speaks.
Sarina Roffé: I see them being the ambassadors for cueing.
Now, we see Franklin writing on the blackboard.
"Mirage

mi rah zh
mer ah zh"
Sarina Roffé: They are the examples of what cueing can do.

Franklin appears, cueing and speaking, accompanied by open captions ASL, as she speaks, but the captions and intepreter omit "going down–" and "Ya' know;"; the captions also show "and all the cliches you can think of," in parenthesis.
Franklin: Honestly, I don't know if they'll see this video, but I'd really like to thank my parents, for going down– going down the road they did. Ya' know; the road less traveled, and all the cliches you can think of, but I doubt that I would be where I am today, if it weren't for the choices that they made for me, when I was a kid.

A video shows Franklin using Cued Speech, in a classroom.
(music continues)

Now, a video shows Dr. Cornett demonstrating handshape 5.
(the music continues throughout the entire video)

A video shows a teacher using Cued Speech.

A video shows another teacher teaching and cueing, and open captions and ASL appear, as Sarina Roffé speaks.
Sarina Roffé: We're celebrating 40 years of progress.
Sarina Roffé appears, speaking only, and the open captions and ASL continue, as Sarina Roffé speaks.
Sarina Roffé: Look where we've come from, and look where we are today. I just think it's amazing.

Now, the star-shaped logo is beside text:
"CUEING AROUND THE WORLD"
A globe spins below, and the star-shaped logo appears on various places, on the globe. Text:
"Afrikaans
Alu
American English
Arabic
Australian English
Bengali
British
Byelorussian
Cantonese
Catalan
Croatian-Sebian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Finnish
Finnish-Swedish
French
French-Canadian
German
Greek
Guajarti
Hawaiian
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Igbo
Indonedian
Italian
Kiluba-Kituba
Korean
Lingala
Malagasy
Malay
Malayalam
Maltese
Mandarin
Marathi
Navaho
Oriya
Polish
Portugese (Brazilian)
Portugese (European)
Russian
Scottish English
Setswana
Shona
South African English
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Swiss German
Filipino-Tagalog
Telegu
Thai
Trinidad-Tobago (English)
Turkish
Welsh"

Fade to black.

Last edited:
Transcript

I realize a lot of our memebers are DeafBlind, so I created a collated text transcrtipt. It literally took me all day. I hope you all enjoy it. I would like to know your feedback.

Holy cow! That's LONG!

Anyway, I think it's interesting. My speech therapist did use cued speech when I was elementary school. However, I was more focuses on MMS instead.

I do have a few friends who know cued speech. It does seem to put a lot of strain on their hands and fingers though. Eek!

BTW... I know that gal, Kara Dowling. :)

Cueing Friends

Holy cow! That's LONG!
Thanks for your feedback. Like I said, that transcript took me literally all day. I understand we have many DeafBlind members, so I created the transcript.
My speech therapist did use cued speech when I was elementary school. However, I was more focuses on MMS instead.
Interesting, I've never heard of MMS, other than picture messaging (Multimedia Messaging Service). What is MMS?
I do have a few friends who know cued speech.
You know, I'm interested in learning Cued Speech, myself. What I'd really like to have is a friend who also has a videophone/webcam.

Eventually, I'd like to make cued VLogs, with voice and closed captions and me using ASL in the corner, similar to this video. I can't really use ASL and voice at the same time, since the word order is not the same, but anyone can use Cued Speech while voicing.
It does seem to put a lot of strain on their hands and fingers though. Eek!
So does ASL! LOL I remember I was interpreting for my Hard-of-Hearing then-friend, Nam. He reads lips but only in English, and my friends were speaking Spanish. I was signing for hours, that day. The next day, my arms were so sore! Why do you think ASL interpreters take breaks and switch interpreters? Cued Speech transliterators also take breaks and switch transliterators.
I know that gal, Kara Dowling. :)
Yeah, Katherine Dowling seems to be very popular, in the Deaf community. You can also see her picture, on the Hawk Relay website.

Seems confusing. But I have heard that qued speech can be learned in a weekend.

I dont knwo what I think about it

Cued Speech in a Weekend?

I have heard that qued speech can be learned in a weekend.
In a weekend? I sort of find that easy to believe, because I've heard stories of parents who take cue cards home and cue to their children. In six months, their children have an extensive vocabulary.

I realize a lot of our memebers are DeafBlind, so I created a collated text transcrtipt. It literally took me all day. I hope you all enjoy it. I would like to know your feedback.

Taric,

Thanks for making this video accessible to those of us who are deafblind. :) I'm going to check out the video tomorrow and will let you know what I think. I've always wanted to learn more about Cued Speech. Thanks again!

How do you like my transcript?

Taric,

Thanks for making this video accessible to those of us who are deafblind. :) I'm going to check out the video tomorrow and will let you know what I think. I've always wanted to learn more about Cued Speech. Thanks again!
You're welcome. I'd like to know how you like my transcript.

Taric: you may find The Art of Cueing useful. Obviously, you need someone to practice with, but learning to produce cues isn't that difficult (although you do need to have a pretty decent grasp of phonetics).

thoughts on cued speech
What's that you said? · Thu, Feb 08 2007
I've been watching this video on cued speech and I must say I'm quite ambivalent.On the one hand, it blows all the other codes I've seen out the water. And it actually assists in lipreading. I mean, it's seamless. It works with the phonetics and words, and if you don't quite pick something up with lipreading, which is inevitable, you can fill in the gaps with the [...]

http://browneyedgirl65.livejournal.com/258586.html

This is fascinating! Thank you Taric!
I work with people who have disabilities and hope to get into schools as a TA someday, I think I'll look into this some more!

Back