Video Chat on Airlines?

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
The flight attendant just showed me the United policy manual which prohibits "two way devices" from communicating with the ground. However, the PLANE HAS WIFI. To combat this, not unlike China, United and other airlines have blocked Skype and other known video chat offenders.

The reason that in-flight videochat is frowned about is because it's annoying to fellow passengers, not because of terrorists. But who needs to know that when you can just claim something is against the law? :pissed:

Video Chat on the Plane? Illegal? OK? Legal Gray Area? - John Battelle's Searchblog

FAA rule: U.S. airlines offering WiFi service block the use of inflight calling using Skype or similar applications.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6275

So don't fly United. Capitalism is great that way. I think it's more of a bandwidth issue while on a plane. If even 30 out of 300 passangers are using wifi that would bottleneck the pipeline. Stick to texting, its what my parents and I do.

Look like they haven't block on iChat Video but on other app. Oops!

You may try to use P3 or Z4 on sky. Steward may be idiot.

Last edited:
Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Deafscooter Often inFlight with Wi-FI and i open my web browse without problem
But the Speed is Slow max is 48 Kbps RX and 28Kbps TX ( No good for Video Chat )
that is it

Deafscooter Often inFlight with Wi-FI and i open my web browse without problem
But the Speed is Slow max is 48 Kbps RX and 28Kbps TX ( No good for Video Chat )
that is it

Thank you, deafscooter. What airline did you use it?

AirTran Airways - Wi-Fi now on board
============================
attachment.php

Here is Actual Wi FI in Real Airline......
Deafscooter inside this plane w/Groups
attachment.php

Back