Victoria's activation

Victorias mom

Reaction score
Today was Victoria's big day! She was cranky going into it, so that didn’t help. After they got all the equipment on her, she wasn't too happy about the ear piece. She cried on and off at certain beeps. For the most part she was not happy about any of it, which I guess means she was hearing something. Once they said she can now hear speech, she cried more. It was a funny cry though, like she was playing with us. She wouldn't open her ears, almost like she was scared, but it wasn't a scared cry. After some time she calmed down and they tried again. She cried on and off, but they said she did well. We upped the volume and sensitivity tonight and she seems ok with it. Tomorrow we go back for more programming. I haven't seen any real responses to sound yet. I have to keep reminding myself this is a process and it will take time.

Right now she has the harness on, but I am not sure how long that will last. She doesn't like the ear piece at all, and it's not worth trying to keep it on her. I would rather come up with a way to clip it to her clothing, but it doesn't seem like the cable (or coil) is very long. When she goes to sleep I have to figure out what to do. So Day 1 went ok, hopefully tomorrow will be better!

I am sure tomorrow will be a lot better..
I agree with Lucia.. Try asking the audi for a longer cord.

Ahhh! The first day jitters. Something new to rattle anybody's life. Sounds like she didn't do too bad. As other's have said, tomorrow is another day.

it'll take time to get used to it. well.. i wear hearing aids.. so i can imagine not hearing a thing and then hearing something would be annoying for some time. she'll get used to it sooner or later.

Aww, poor little girl, I agree with RebelGirl, she will get used to it sooner or later, I used to hate wearing my hearing aids when I was little too...

Awww. I am sure she will get the hang of it. It is like many have said. It will just take her some time to get used to. Congrats. Good luck today.

Congratulations on activation! What an exciting time for you. Emma was the same way when she was activated...she cried every time they would give her sound. But by the time we got to the lobby she was fine with it. She kept it on with the miclock tubing for the most part. The harness just didn't work for us..i got the longest cord and she wore it in kind of fanny pack around her waist. She had the Sprint so it was bigger than the Freedom BWP and it got in the way alot! Emma never would keep her hearing aids in but I think she really got it that this helped her hear so she kept it on....except when she was bored ( like in the car...) then she would take it off and take it apart piece by little piece and ripped apart more wires than I care to remember! We used to have to take it off of her in the car because it was becoming too expensive because she would break pieces! It was a phase and now has really taken to her Freedom BTE...she never wants to take it off. We do let her fall asleep with it on now but she opens up the Dry and Store in the morning to bring it to me first thing!! I am in the part of Emma's development that I've been waiting for all along..and what you think will never come. Just wait!!! Good luck to Victoria!!!!

Please let us know about her progress. I know that this is totally different but, my daughter is 4 an she is HOH. She got her hearing aids 1 year ago and I still have to fight with her to get her to wear them. The difference is that my daughter could hear before the aids and yours couldn't. So besides these noises that she has never heard before, she is also got to get used to this thing that is probably uncomfortable on her ear. I'm sure that she will get used to it. It will take a lot of patience and reassuring and love on your part. Always 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Good luck!

Victoria is doing much better with her new equipment. We are all getting used to it. I switch off with the harness and some onesies that I made pockets in. She doesn't seem to mind wearing it now.

I do not see much responses yet, but I guess it will take time.

Give it time. Victoria has to learn how to use her hearing..........she didn't get benifit from hearing aids, so she's starting from scratch. I know its really hard to know what to expect, especially since there's so many variables out there.

Victoria is doing much better with her new equipment. We are all getting used to it. I switch off with the harness and some onesies that I made pockets in. She doesn't seem to mind wearing it now.

Everyone is different, but it does take some time. It took Kayla some time to respond as well. I used to sew the pockets in her onesies too, worked great. Just keep talking your head off to her right now...lol. All that talking will start sinking in and when you least expect it she'll start saying her first words. It's all about repitition in the beginning, just like a newborn baby. Once she understands that sound has meaning, she won't be so fussy about wearing her CI.

Yep. Talk talk talk talk non stop talking. My wife and I talked so much to Lilly, after she went to bed, we didnt talk to each other. Our mouths hurt from talking non stop. Now, Lilly talks non stop. Gotta love it. Like anyhitng else, you get out, what ya put in. I used to (and still do) take Lilly grocery shopping with me. We talk about everything.What's on the shelves, picking food, colors on bags, whats in the bags and so on. Hell, we even talk about other people int he store.

Back