Viable MVP Review & Testing

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone from HOVRS said:

Team, after having several different people testing the new Viable VPAD video phone I wanted to give everyone a summary of our observations and some talking points that you can are educated about the VPAD.

Overall, I’m more excited now than I ever have been about our MVP product because as I compare what the MVP is doing versus the VPAD there is just no comparison. The MVP is truly the superior device.

Call testing to VRS providers other than Viable:

We made several calls to 10 different VRS companies and the VPAD was only able to successful connect to 3 of them.
In our tests the VPAD cannot connect to Hands On VRS; Sorenson; CSDVRS; Hamilton VRS; IP-VRS; AT&T VRS & Sprint VRS.
Calls to i711 & SNAP did successfully connect, although video quality was average and pixilated in our tests
If you do know someone who has a VPAD, you should encourage them to add i711.tv to their as address book….which by the way was actually the best video quality call of all the ones we tested!! All right GoAmerica!
Bottom line is that users of the VPAD will have to have limited to calling ability to make VRS calls. the VPAD also seemed to lock up a few times during our testing and we had to re-boot the device.

Call testing with other video phones:

Dlink DVC 1000 -- We made several calls to DLink DVC 1000 video phones and the calls were able to connect, although the video quality we experienced was not good.
Sorenson VP 100 – again we made calls to the VP 100’s, we were able to connect using IP address of the VP 100 and the quality was about the same as the Dlink.
Sorenson VP 200 – calls to VP 200 did not connect at all!! The VPAD would ring a few times like it was trying to call to the VP 200 but then would just drop the call after a few rings. The user with the VP 200 did see the incoming call screen a couple of times but could not accept the call!!

Calls to the VPAD…..after we found the devices IP address which is buried in the network setting configuration pages, we tried to call to the VPAD from each of the above video phones (Dlink, VP100, VP 200) and in every case the calls would ring once or twice and drop…. I was never aware of the incoming call either.

Other observations from our tests in comparison to what Viable is promoting:

Features from Viable.com
Observations

High Quality Video

We did not experience high quality video, even when calling to Viable VRS there was a lot of pixilation and blurring

Touch Screen
The screen is nice and the user interface is responsive but buttons seem to perform inconsistently to the touch

Light Alerts
Never saw an incoming call, so can’t comment. Although, when turning on the VPAD the lights do flash a few times and they appear to be good

USB port There is a USB port on the side…we didn’t test anything connecting to it as of yet…not sure what you would actually connect at this point….

External Monitor
We did successfully connect the VPAD to an external TV. The display on the TV seemed to be very blurry compared to the image on the VPAD’s screen, also the TV screen seemed to cut off the edges of the user interface.

The lack of a remote control required me to sit right in front of the large TV I had hooked up so I could control the VPAD and was uncomfortable sitting that close to the TV.

Wireless Network
We could not test this since we did not have the required additional WiFi card. It’s my understanding that these will be available for purchase at some time in the future for a price of $30.00 each, which should then enable users to connect to WiFi networks, but will still require you to be plugged into the power outlet in the wall.

If you have any other experiences of information positive or negative about the VPAD I would like to hear about it.

Viable MVP?????

I thought it suppose gone like...

- HOVRS MVP
- Viable PAD.

you confuse me.

VPAD with USB Wireless is careful! becuase if some hit between vpad and usb wireless will broken or lost, I want hide wireless in VPAD, oh well

yes, USB adapter wireless sucks because I know most USB wireless always disconnect. Better ti have PCI.

VPAD with USB Wireless is careful! becuase if some hit between vpad and usb wireless will broken or lost, I want hide wireless in VPAD, oh well

Agreed, It's call built-in wifi (wireless)

yes, USB adapter wireless sucks because I know most USB wireless always disconnect. Better ti have PCI.

It's true, I am sick of heard from many customers complained about wireless sucks because they use USB. (sigh)
USB is kind limits data transfer rates and slower than PCI (desktop) and mini-pci (mobile)

Agreed, It's call built-in wifi (wireless)

It's true, I am sick of heard from many customers complained about wireless sucks because they use USB. (sigh)
USB is kind limits data transfer rates and slower than PCI (desktop) and mini-pci (mobile)

if your old PC built in USB 1.1 is slower than USB 2.0 you can buy PCI with 4 USB ports with USB 2.0

USB 1.1 Low Speed is 1.2 mbp
USB 1.1 High Speed is 12 mbp
USB 2.0 up to 480mbp

future relase is USB 3.0 it will goes FASTER up to 4.8 Gbps in mid of 2008 to 2010 depend on launch date

see USB on wikipeda: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WIFI 802.11b is up to 11mbp
802.11a and g is up to 54mbp
802.11N is more faster than a, b and G

if your device getting slower because WIFI is weaker due to far away from the router. Sometime drop the connection due to too weak, your device is near to router and it will get strong and faster. Wireless signal depened on signal strengh and network speed
I like USB 2.0 or up is better than old USB 1.1 and WIFI 802.11 G is OK but I like Wireless 802.11 N is better to faster

I have laptop have miniPCI for Wi-Fi 802.11 b and g built-in but I have Sprint Wireless Boardband EVDO Sierra Wireless 595U USB card with my USB 2.0 port is better speed when I am done then I will remove USB modem before I put anyting in my backpack and I go anywhere.

if your old PC built in USB 1.1 is slower than USB 2.0 you can buy PCI with 4 USB ports with USB 2.0

USB 1.1 Low Speed is 1.2 mbp
USB 1.1 High Speed is 12 mbp
USB 2.0 up to 480mbp

Who still have USB 1.1? Very rare for me to see. Again, USB 2.0 STILL SLOWER than PCI and mini-pci. USB 2.0 is 60MB/s and PCI is 133MB/s. PCI is win.

future relase is USB 3.0 it will goes FASTER up to 4.8 Gbps in mid of 2008 to 2010 depend on launch date

USB 3.0 is very nice and only 600mb/s and two times faster than SATA II.

see USB on wikipeda: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WIFI 802.11b is up to 11mbp
802.11a and g is up to 54mbp
802.11N is more faster than a, b and G

Don't need to show it to me because I already know but thank you

if your device getting slower because WIFI is weaker due to far away from the router. Sometime drop the connection due to too weak, your device is near to router and it will get strong and faster. Wireless signal depened on signal strengh and network speed

No matter, USB 2.0 and PCI are same range and USB 2.0 still issue than PCI that I see. I replaced from USB 2.0 to PCI at SAME location and stop problem since. :)

In fact I installed wireless (G) pci card for customer's computer and it's work at 100ft from warehouse to house.

I like USB 2.0 or up is better than old USB 1.1 and WIFI 802.11 G is OK but I like Wireless 802.11 N is better to faster

Most of USB 2.0 wireless still no good.

I have laptop have miniPCI for Wi-Fi 802.11 b and g built-in but I have Sprint Wireless Boardband EVDO Sierra Wireless 595U USB card with my USB 2.0 port is better speed when I am done then I will remove USB modem before I put anyting in my backpack and I go anywhere.

Nothing to do with miniPCI or USB 2.0. It's ISP and network wireless area speed or hardware.

Probably thats true, HOVRS had tested and came up with several issues/problems with VPAD. Obviously, they have forgotten one critical thing that they should be aware of.

IT IS NOT YET RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC as yet. Viable are using people as TESTERS who bought it for $99 dollars via Deafnation expo. I am sure Viable are collecting data and working on improvise software.

I expect it will be out to the public in around three to six months time.

If they use that study for purpose to improve, then that would being cheap. For being in beta group should get free until final release that cost 99 dollar again BUT VPAD isn't choice for me.

Probably thats true, HOVRS had tested and came up with several issues/problems with VPAD. Obviously, they have forgotten one critical thing that they should be aware of.

IT IS NOT YET RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC as yet. Viable are using people as TESTERS who bought it for $99 dollars via Deafnation expo. I am sure Viable are collecting data and working on improvise software.

I expect it will be out to the public in around three to six months time.

sierra USB ATT Mercury

I bought cradlepoint 3G router CTR-500 and connect with AT&T Mercury USB, and I setup Vpad. I did port forward, DMZ setting everything, but it didn't work at all. I see Black screen when I call to sorenson VP.

How can I solve this problem??

This is a old thread and the VPAD has been phrased out but can be used, althought limited, but the second generation of VPAD, VPAD+ is better, much better although needs to be reconfigured if running into few issues, can be easilty fixed.

I bought cradlepoint 3G router CTR-500 and connect with AT&T Mercury USB, and I setup Vpad. I did port forward, DMZ setting everything, but it didn't work at all. I see Black screen when I call to sorenson VP.

How can I solve this problem??

You try to configure port forwarding and DMZ is not in use

Advanced

Port Fowarding

VPAD/VPAD+
TCP 1720-1721, 41000
UDP/TCP 42000-42014
IP Address 192.168.0.198

Sorenson/D-Link
TCP 1720-1721, 15328-15348
UDP 15328-15348
IP Address 192.168.0.125

Application Rules

Standard SIP Port
5060-5061 (Both)
5060-5061 (Both)

Sorenson/D-Link
15328-15348 (Both)
15328-15348 (Both)

VPAD/VPAD+
42000-42014 (Both)
42000-42014 (Both)

Firewall Settings

Pick Endpoint Independent for UDP and TCP

be forewarned that hovrs do not make vpad and vpad+ and it is viable inc does make vpad and vpad+ the hovrs only makes mvp! so as to clear it up the confusion and the purple mvp will be out to customers april or may as i got the word from the purple team

be forewarned that hovrs do not make vpad and vpad+ and it is viable inc does make vpad and vpad+ the hovrs only makes mvp! so as to clear it up the confusion and the purple mvp will be out to customers april or may as i got the word from the purple team

I thought I read someone says that the purple MVP will come out next month in March. :cool:

thats correct ,the mvp will be given to users in march at private event across america at 20 cites i am one of 1st group to get it at private event and he said customers will get their in late april or early may that's is it

You try to configure port forwarding and DMZ is not in use

Advanced

Port Fowarding

VPAD/VPAD+
TCP 1720-1721, 41000
UDP/TCP 42000-42014
IP Address 192.168.0.198

Sorenson/D-Link
TCP 1720-1721, 15328-15348
UDP 15328-15348
IP Address 192.168.0.125

Application Rules