Very new, and quite daunted...........

izzy101

Reaction score
Hey, My name's Izzy, and I'm an 18 year old student in Oxford.........
I have started to lose my hearing quite rapidly profound loss in one ear and 50db in the other, and probably going down, and I'm trying desperately to learn to lipread/sign, but I'm so so bad, and it's so much work......It's happened so fast.
I'm also a musician. I play the violin mainly, and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do about my music. I want to make a career of it, it is my life.
Do any of you play music? Do you think I'm going to have to quit of can you get around it?
I'm scared..
Thanks
Izzy

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun browsing and posting! :)

Hey, My name's Izzy, and I'm an 18 year old student in Oxford.........
I have started to lose my hearing quite rapidly profound loss in one ear and 50db in the other, and probably going down, and I'm trying desperately to learn to lipread/sign, but I'm so so bad, and it's so much work......It's happened so fast.
I'm also a musician. I play the violin mainly, and I'm not sure what I'm meant to do about my music. I want to make a career of it, it is my life.
Do any of you play music? Do you think I'm going to have to quit of can you get around it?
I'm scared..
Thanks
Izzy

Hi Izzy, I'm new to this board as well.

I actually have a daughter who we call "Izzy" (Isabel) :)
Anyway, your hearing loss is similar to mine. I've lived with mine for quite some time, when I was about 10 years old, mine plummeted nearly 40+ db. I currently have a severe loss in both ears. I as well love music and have been playing the guitar for 12 years, a bit of piano, used to play alto and baritone saxaphone (eventhough I actually can't stand listening to the saxaphone, ha ha) and a tad bit of percussion as well. I come from a very active musical family influenced by jazz, big-band and classical. Me, I like everything, a lot of rock, punk & metal in the past, and now a lot of blues and of course a bit of jazz.

I heavily rely on my hearing aids. Technology has really been coming around with improved depth of sound, enhanced bass and speech-range patterning. I worked closely with my audiologist to program my hearing aids to my liking. My audiologist also happened to have a client who is music producer who has a moderate loss of hearing and has been "fine-tuning" his hearing aids as well. Most new aids can be programmed and adjusted via computer to get the sound you're looking for. I would recommend asking your audi if you could actually bring in your violin and play a bit and listen. I brought a stack of CDs once, ha ha. I even ran out to my car to try different volumes and types of music, from metal to classical.

So keep on playing! If it get's difficult to do group performances, consider studio work and crank up the monitors :cool:

I also suggest taking some classes for sign-language whenever possible. There is no better way than to surround yourself with people that sign.

Good luck!

Welcome, Izzy! This will be very brief as I am pressed for time. There's a lot of information here in the current topics and in the archives regarding the cochlear implant and some on late deafedness. The overwhelming information on the CI sends the message that one cannot get a CI until the hearing aid proves useless. However, I am of the opinion now that the CI people will, on a case by case basis, depending on one's circumstance, will consider implantation irregardless of the usefullness of a hearing aid. From what you have said.....that music being your life and all, I would venture to opine that they would implant you as soon as they can.

At any rate, have fun here......

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Needless to say, one can relate to how you must be feeling and what you are going through, however, if one 'door' closes, other 'doors' will open up new opportunities you may never have realized. Although, given to the fact that 'music' is your life, I sincerely hope you'll be able to continue it with assisted technical marvels that are currently out there. Just don't give up hope and despair, hang in there and hold your chin up...yea, even with the violin perfectly placed under your chin too!! :)

Also, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD as well!

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

:welcome: to AD!

I wish I can say that I can understand what u must be going thru because I dont due to being deaf since birth. However, I can tell u this..this forum is a great place for info and support.

I dont blame u for being scared. Hang in there.

Welcome Izzy.

I play mostly guitar and sing, though I sometimes play Irish Penny Whistles. I can hear those w/o aids so they are good to have. With my guitar I sometimes use vibration from the guitar to "hear" what I'm playing.

But most of the time I rely on technology like acevalentine does.

Having your chin on top of the violin could go a long way to helping you "hear" what you are playing.

Hope you enjoy your time here aet AD, and hope you succeed with all you are trying to do.

:D

Back