VERY Loud!

cduskey

Reaction score
Hi....I just have a question and I am wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 3.5 yr old boy that is deaf. We didn't find out until he was 2. He recieved a cochlear implant 2 months ago. Anyhow, my question is how do you get a deaf child to realize that he is being too loud. We live in a small apartment complex and I think my neighbors are getting a little annoyed. He was very loud before the implant as well. Any help?!?

Hi....I just have a question and I am wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 3.5 yr old boy that is deaf. We didn't find out until he was 2. He recieved a cochlear implant 2 months ago. Anyhow, my question is how do you get a deaf child to realize that he is being too loud. We live in a small apartment complex and I think my neighbors are getting a little annoyed. He was very loud before the implant as well. Any help?!?

That is going to take some time depending on his language development. My mom complained on how loud I was up to my teens even though I was aware of how loud I was but sometimes I forgot and when I cant hear myself, it happens.

Maybe explain to your neighbors and tell them to have patience?

Is he loud by his actions or by his voice? I was loud by my actions..like slamming the cabinets, clanking the dishes and so much more and it drove my mom nuts! :giggle:

That is going to take some time depending on his language development. My mom complained on how loud I was up to my teens even though I was aware of how loud I was but sometimes I forgot and when I cant hear myself, it happens.

Maybe explain to your neighbors and tell them to have patience?

Is he loud by his actions or by his voice? I was loud by my actions..like slamming the cabinets, clanking the dishes and so much more and it drove my mom nuts! :giggle:

Oh, I remeber those days!:giggle: Sometimes, you just have to keep reminding, over and over, and over....."too loud".

the child is very little ..he may not realize how loud he is. as he becomes more accustomed to sounds over time, he may control himself more

Can you hear when he's loud? If you can, then tell him that he's being loud. If possible, discipline him when he's loud. For instance, first time is warning... second time is quiet time in his room... third time is take away something from him.

Can you hear when he's loud? If you can, then tell him that he's being loud. If possible, discipline him when he's loud. For instance, first time is warning... second time is quiet time in his room... third time is take away something from him.

:ugh: You have got to be kidding?! :roll: Look, if the neighbors don't like it, tell them to sue, file a complaint, call the police, whatever. Let the kid be a kid and you need to get a life. Between the answer VamPyroX gave and peoples' cell phones ringing loud enough to wake the dead, you really need to get a life, cduskey. Some peoples' parents! Sheesh!! Only a hearie would give an answer like that, VamPyroX. Why discipline the boy? I honestly can't believe this one. Thank God you've got a child, cduskey, some people don't and would love to have one!

:ugh: You have got to be kidding?! :roll: Look, if the neighbors don't like it, tell them to sue, file a complaint, call the police, whatever. Let the kid be a kid and you need to get a life. Between the answer VamPyroX gave and peoples' cell phones ringing loud enough to wake the dead, you really need to get a life, cduskey. Some peoples' parents! Sheesh!! Only a hearie would give an answer like that, VamPyroX. Why discipline the boy? I honestly can't believe this one. Thank God you've got a child, cduskey, some people don't and would love to have one!

Aside from the need for parents of any child, deaf or not, to bring some order, organization, etc, etc to the upbringing of a child, don't you think you were a little harsh toward someone, and a new member at that, who was making a simple inquiry?

Aside from the need for parents of any child, deaf or not, to bring some order, organization, etc, etc to the upbringing of a child, don't you think you were a little harsh toward someone, and a new member at that, who was making a simple inquiry?

Possibly. Do kids have to be disciplined for everything every time they turn around? Being new has nothing to do with it, Tousi. I'm not a parent and even I was offended by the question. Disciplining a child for "making too much noise" is a bit much. Why doesn't the parent just ground them instead or sit on a chair with his hands on top of his head and not touch anything? See my logic? Is there anything wrong with saying to the child, "hey, hold it down, okay?" If it's door slamming, there's a simple solution that is easy, providing it can be done, and that's to remove the door from its hinges. Going to the bathroom with the door off will cure the little guy really quick, not to mention taking a bath and it's cold outside.

Possibly. Do kids have to be disciplined for everything every time they turn around? Being new has nothing to do with it, Tousi. I'm not a parent and even I was offended by the question. Disciplining a child for "making too much noise" is a bit much. Why doesn't the parent just ground them instead? See my logic? Is there anything wrong with saying to the child, "hey, hold it down, okay?" If it's door slamming, there's a simple solution that is easy, providing it can be done, and that's to remove the door from its hinges. Going to the bathroom with the door off will cure the little guy really quick, not to mention taking a bath and it's cold outside.

She wasn't talking about discipline and all that; she was asking for ideas. So why don't you re-read her request and then tell her what you think?

She wasn't talking about discipline and all that; she was asking for ideas. So why don't you re-read her request and then tell her what you think?

VamPyroX started it and I have to say, if parents have to discipline their children for everything . . . "better be good or I'll get the stick!" like my ex-sister-in-law did with my nephew, no wonder he's a drunk!

Any ideas? Yes, as I suggested, to ask the boy to hold it down, or, manually turn up the volume on the CI so he can hear how loud he is. He'll get the drift when his ears start hurting and gets a headache because of all the loud noise he's doing.

Umm, he quote VamPyroX not Cduskey's post....

:back to topic:

Hi :wave: Cduskey -

How well can he hear with his implant? and since you said he just got implanted 2 months ago, maybe that explains why he doesn't realized he is being that loud, give him some time to get use to his CI...Have you talked to his audiologist about this yet?...

If you remind him enough and let him know nicely when he's being too loud or too quiet, he'll eventually figure out the right volume to use.

Well, thanks Pek1 for your input but I have to say that I disagree with you very much. I love my deaf son very much. I am very happy to have children and be able to do so. However, I think you were very harsh. My son is very loud with his actions and his words. Yes, he probably can't hear how loud he is being when he jumps from step to step as he comes downstairs but when he is slamming the cupboards and it is very loud, I think something needs to be done. My son is hearing well enough with his CI that he knows his name and turns to it every time when we speak in a normal tone so I think he can be taught that it is not okay to slam the doors and such. With his voice, however, he is a screamer. Also, I don't think kids need to be disciplined for EVERYTHING but I do think there needs to be boundaries, there needs to be rules. Otherwise you end up with this child who thinks he can do whatever he wants and then he controls the household and the parents no longer do. Why would you take a door off the hinges because your child is slamming it? That to me is just plain laziness because you won't take the time to teach your child that it is not okay to slam the door which may take someone getting up off their butt a hundred times before their toddler realizes that it's not okay. So, once again, thank you Pek1for your input but I was just wondering if anyone had some good advice on how to teach my son that he is loud. There are many places where we will go in life that he needs to learn, just like a hearing person, that you need to behave such as libraries, restaurants, movies, whatever. So, if anyone else has some actual input, I would be glad to hear it. But what I would prefer not to hear is how us "hearing people" dont' know what to do with a deaf child. Perhaps, I don't but at least I love my child enough that I am trying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this problem may also be related to the child's lack of full understanding as to what "loud" is due to his deafness. I know personally that it is very difficult to understand and comprehend something that you have not fully experienced. His perception and concept of noise is not the same as a hearing person's. Additionally, he is still very young, and let's face it - kids make noise! On days when my hearing is pretty bad, I forget that activities (ie: putting dishes away, laundry etc) can be noisy and slam things around simply because they aren't loud to me. It takes a conscious effort to remember that I may be bothering a hearing person living next door, but I am still adjusting to this and it is HARD!

With his voice, however, he is a screamer.
Well unfortunatly I don't really have any help for you in that area. MANY dhh kids have difficulty modulating their voices. I still do myself.........LOL I remember at college, everyone used to "yell" at me when I got too loud.
Just have patience. He may improve with time.

Well unfortunatly I don't really have any help for you in that area. MANY dhh kids have difficulty modulating their voices. I still do myself.........LOL I remember at college, everyone used to "yell" at me when I got too loud.
Just have patience. He may improve with time.

I agree. With cochlear implants his perception of loudness will likely change over time with the mappings so it's best to just let him be himself and be patient.

I don't agree with the advice to discipline him.

I have been there.
With my daughter, we could not hear each other on the telephone because of the loud noises. I drove through the country with earplugs, because she would make these high-pitched noises... And that is when she was happy.

But, when the mapping is turned up, it will go away. The mapping is probably such that your son is hearing only a little, and not having heard before, he might not realize it is him that created the sound.
We were warned, and noticed, that in the beginning, it seems as if CI is not working. As if the brain is ignoring the new sensory input...

It will go away. Until that time, the noise will continue.
I guess you will have to explain to the neighbors why he is doing it, and that it will be better in the near future....

Note:
Sorry, I just read your later post...
So he allready hears with CI....
In that case... the only advise I can give is like I do with my children.
If the door is closed loudly, I make them go back and close the door softly. If it is too hard again, they can try again..

Still, with the mapping of CI, loud noises are "taken away" by the software, which is very nice to prevent the child from being scared by loud noises. He might not realise he's making soo much noise. Perhaps he doesn't hear it.!

Last edited:
Back