Vermont Towns Debate Impeaching Bush

Do you agree to impeach President Bush and Vice President Cheney?

• Yes

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwstones

Reaction score
Top News- Vermont Towns Debate Impeaching Bush - AOL News

Updated:2007-03-07 11:29:20
Vermont Towns Debate Impeaching Bush
AOL Wire Services
CALAIS, Vt. (March 7) - Packed into their 140-year-old Town Hall on a clear, frigid morning, the people of Calais -- population 1,552 -- took care of business Tuesday.

From the Blog: A Bad Week for the White House

Text of Impeachment Resolution: 'Misled the Nation'

Talk About It: Post Thoughts
They elected Gus Seelig moderator for the annual Town Meeting. They talked about fire department contracts and the town highway fund, appropriated $2,500 for a town swimming program and boosted the property tax exemption for disabled veterans, all without much debate - and no rancor.

But when Article 23 came up, the mood changed. That was the one calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney .

Peering over the eyeglasses perched on the end of his nose, Seelig - anticipating an emotional debate - asked the crowd of about 125 people to keep it civil.

"We are not here to criticize each other," he said. "We're not going to attack our neighbors. They're still going to be our neighbors when we're done here today."

With that, the debate began. In a scene played out at Town Meetings across Vermont, supporters of the measure said Bush and Cheney misled America about the threat posed by Iraq , condoned prisoner torture and approved illegal eavesdropping of citizens, while critics defended them, calling impeachment inappropriate.

Town Meeting is a colonial-era tradition in which voters gather in town halls and gymnasiums to debate issues big and small.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours
At Least Two Winning Tickets for $370 Million LotteryBitter Cold, Blowing Snow Hit NortheastTwo American Women Poisoned in MoscowVermont Towns Vote on Impeaching BushBefore Fatal Plane Crash, Mom Heard Girl's Plea for HelpAt least 29 towns approved calls for impeachment investigations, according to the Rutland Herald and Times Argus and Dan DeWalt, a Newfane select board member who organized the impeachment resolution drive. Dorset and Stamford rejected the resolution, and moderators in some other towns blocked it from being considered, according to DeWalt, who barnstormed across Vermont with anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan last weekend to drum up support for the measures.

At least 16 towns also approved a companion measure calling on Washington to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq. It was unclear how many towns had put the resolutions to a vote, and the results of all the Town Meetings in the state of about 609,000 people may not be known for days.

In Middlebury, Gov. Jim Douglas is the Town Meeting moderator. He at first tried to block a vote on the two resolutions, reasoning that they were brought up under new business, meaning no vote could be held, according to the Rutland Herald and Times Argus.

He changed his mind when voters made clear they wanted to weigh in on the resolutions, both of which opposed by wide margins.

"It became clear that no one was going home until they had the chance to discuss the resolutions and vote on them," said David Rosenberg, a political science professor at Middlebury College who attended the meeting. "And being a good politician, he allowed the vote to happen."

In Calais, Marion Gray, 60, the stepmother of a service member killed in Iraq, called it "treasonous" to spend taxpayer money on impeachment proceedings, and said the United States had more to lose by pulling out.

"If we don't finish the job there, it's going to be finished here," she said. "They will follow our troops home."

Moments later, Cynthia Johnson, 51, who had petitioned for the resolution, stood up from her pew near the back, her voice breaking. "I did not do it to offend anybody," she said, asking Seelig for a paper ballot vote instead of a floor vote because of the emotional tenor of the dialogue. "It is our responsibility here, at Town Meeting, in this forum, to question the things that are happening."

"I think that if we keep going the way we are, it's aiding and abetting the enemy," said Tim Celley, 43, who opposed the measure. "If we keep going like we are, we're going to lose."

So it went, back and forth.

Even critics of the war were torn.

Chuck Storrow, a 49-year-old attorney, said the stated reasons for impeachment were all present in 2004, when Bush and Cheney were re-elected. "If we're going to have an impeachment every time something happens at the national level that we don't agree with, we'll be doing it all the time," said Storrow, who said he thinks Bush is a "disaster" but opposed the resolution.

Ray Lemay, 66, whose son is a U.S. Navy officer, said the polling place was where such grievances should be addressed. His voice halting, he looked toward Gray, who was across the room. "I'd hate to see my son in the same boat as Mrs. Gray's. But if it happens, it happens. It was a good cause."

Several speakers said they objected to the notion that war opponents don't support the troops.

"It is not treason to question our government," said Tom Treece, 40. "This has nothing to do with the troops. It's about what the administration is doing. We all support the troops, but they're being used."

seem like you enjoy bash our president.

Dude,

Apparently you haven't heard... Bush is not popular these days here in the US.. So a LOT of people are bashing him... And before you say it's not right to bash the president... Let me tell you that people have been bashing the presidents for YEARS! Every president has his cheering section and his booing section... So don't curb other people's right to Free Speech.. IF they want to bash the president.. that's their right.

Right Now Mr. Bush gets mad at the congress for passing vote to have US Troops to get home from Iraq next year (2008). So what?? Why? We need them coming home back and do not need Mr. Bush's advising for waste our time!

Second, US General Attorney is in big trouble about fired 8 US Attorneys. Mr. Bush tries to protect him but there is nothing he does about it because the congress asks for supbeona on all of 8 fired US Attorney to give testify!

Mr. Bush is under stress from many happening with white house since most staffs are resigning from there since Mr. Bush become president!

What we do about him???

Yes, that must to impeaching Bush because he's doing bad job on everything.

After Bush and Cheney are kick out from office then who will be next person to be president?

Many people did not realize that Bush has LEARNING DISABILITY.....

Really??? Oh damn, he's not supposed to be president at first place but too late...

Shame on him...

Hiliary Clinton ! ;)

She's not running until late 2008 but who would take Bush's position after Bush and Cheney are impeached? I know about vice president will take president's poistion after one is kicked out but what about if vice president is kicked out from president's poistion and no longer to be vice president anymore then who would take one?

I'm going ask Reba if she know...

Dude,

Apparently you haven't heard... Bush is not popular these days here in the US.. So a LOT of people are bashing him... And before you say it's not right to bash the president... Let me tell you that people have been bashing the presidents for YEARS! Every president has his cheering section and his booing section... So don't curb other people's right to Free Speech.. IF they want to bash the president.. that's their right.

I have aware that everybody been bashing or poke around on presidents for fun or serious. I just wonder if that person enjoy doing that. :)

Yes, that must to impeaching Bush because he's doing bad job on everything.

why don't you go to Washington and led people to impeaching Bush? :)

What's matter? chicken? :afro:

I voted NO. I'm not crazy. I know Bush pretty well. He has been my "boss" for 11 (1996-2007) years when he was Governor of Texas. I think he is doing good job as President. News is just brainwashing y'all about bad thing on Bush.

Many people did not realize that Bush has LEARNING DISABILITY.....

Yes that is true.. He has problem to read on backward! He has to depend on someone else to write it or read for him before he gets ready for his speech.

Really??? Oh damn, he's not supposed to be president at first place but too late...

Shame on him...

Yeah Mr. Bush won't admit about his learning disability to anyone and should be shamed himself and could not be in his presidency position! But look at Bush's position and performance it gets worse than any presidents in past!

I have been researching on the BUSHes (Grandpa, Father and Son) since 1988 till now. let me tell you bluntly that the BUSHES are members of the Skull and Bones society from Yale University which it is evil political to train anyone to be leadership before go out from graduation. I highly recommand you to watch the movie, "The Skull" part 1, 2, and 3 Which it is very true based story which 3 presidents are involved in the Skull and Bones society. I already spoke to the christian man at the conference while he was at booth. I asked him if it is true The Bushes are skull and bones? He said yes, show me a proof in book. I was totally shocked to see the truth about it.

Skull and Bones educated the senior students to be part of the New World Orders. Did you know that in 1980's Bush's Father signed the paper that has a rainbow cards in every banks for emergency only that be for back up if every bank could go bankupty and it is called New World Orders. My good friend who was sergent police and pastor to the deaf in church did see the rainbow cards in the banks and did ask someone about it. They said it is a rainbow cards in private room.

I have my knowledge that Mr. Bush wanted to thank to Americans for voting him but when he won his election, saying to take off his mask and show his face is SATAN to wake Americans up and get them sucking!!!!!! Satan laughs at them for losing and let satan controlling evil political here in America! What a shameful on americans who are so sleepy and not know much about Mr. Bush's history and background before he turned to be president! They thought Mr. Bush is christian but found out that he fooled Americans out!

check this website on Skull and Bones

George W. Bush's Skull & Bones Fraternity
Skull And Bones - CBS News
http://www.freedomdomain.com/secrets...s/skull01.html
Alex Jones Presents Infowars.com to Fight the New World Order -- SKULL AND BONES: GEORGE BUSH AND JOHN KERRY
Skull and Bones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I voted NO. I'm not crazy. I know Bush pretty well. He has been my "boss" for 11 (1996-2007) years when he was Governor of Texas. I think he is doing good job as President. News is just brainwashing y'all about bad thing on Bush.

well sorry that I have to disagree with ya. But no offense.

well sorry that I have to disagree with ya. But no offense.

None taken.

Y'all may want to impreach Bush. Go to DC and protesting or something. But I don't think the Congresses will impreach him.

I heard some mothers like Cindy Sheehan, of sons, who killed in Iraq, blamed Bush. I think that's stupid. Sons joined the military. Not the mothers. Mother ought to blame the sons' decisions. Not Bush. :roll: Sons and daughters joined the military and take their oath to protect the Constitution.

My brother, a veteran combat in Iraq, if he killed in Iraq, I will not blame Bush. I will hate the people who killed my brother. He still support Bush and the war. I already told my mom, if I join the military, please, don't blame government. Blame my decide.

I voted yes cuz I am not too happy with Bush's idealogies especially when it comes to same sex marriages. He needs to leave people's private lives alone. Iraq is another story that I do not want to get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back