Vegan Meals

yeah, true, pfh about the almond cheese -

I love squash and wonder if I used soy cream how that would be...

I am a vegetarian. Have been for over a year. I've only ate meat a few times, mostly chicken. I am pretty picky about meat though. I only eat meat like maybe once a month if that. I hate it when people get offended by my vegetarian diet. W/e.

welcome, jutterfly,

if you read through earlier postings in this thread, you may have seen mine - I was vegan for a while, still eat that way most of the time. Avoid dairy pretty much regardless. I don't worry about people getting offended with my eating.

:)

welcome, jutterfly,

if you read through earlier postings in this thread, you may have seen mine - I was vegan for a while, still eat that way most of the time. Avoid dairy pretty much regardless. I don't worry about people getting offended with my eating.

That's awesome. I am a bad cheesaholic, lol. :/ I don't drink cow milk either. I only drink almond or soy milk. I use it for smoothies, cereal, cooking, etc. Well, I've lost a few friends 'cause of my diet. Or just stop inviting me over for dinners.

welcome, jutterfly,

I can never be a vegan. I tried being an organic octvo-vegetarian. My body just crashed. A friend said I should have more cheese or drink milk-- but if I drink too much milk, I get sinus infections. Oh well. I've tried.

:wave: jutterfly and souggy!

jutter....I like the almond and soy milk too and also the hemp milk - have u tried? But I always get the "unsweetened" versions of them. I have oatmeal every morning with some dairy alternative in and also add ground flax and raw agave or barley malt syrup. Am sorry you've lost some friends:aw:if you have a health food co-op in your area/accessible, that can be a place to meet like-minded people-

souggy, well at least you did try it! I have dairy allergies so that's part of my reasoning. Mom has lactose-intolerance. I've never liked meat much.

Today at co-op I got some almond "milk" cheese with garlic and herbs - thought I try in a omelette <local eggs from pastured hens>.

:wave: jutterfly and souggy!

jutter....I like the almond and soy milk too and also the hemp milk - have u tried? But I always get the "unsweetened" versions of them. I have oatmeal every morning with some dairy alternative in and also add ground flax and raw agave or barley malt syrup. Am sorry you've lost some friends:aw:if you have a health food co-op in your area/accessible, that can be a place to meet like-minded people-

souggy, well at least you did try it! I have dairy allergies so that's part of my reasoning. Mom has lactose-intolerance. I've never liked meat much.

Today at co-op I got some almond "milk" cheese with garlic and herbs - thought I try in a omelette <local eggs from pastured hens>.

:lol: I thought on first reading the bolded word said "pasturized" and thought it must be very painful to the hens.

I have tried almond milk , rice milk, soy milk, and I can't tolerate the taste of any of them.

I am glad I can drink milk, but it I was lactose intolerant, I think I would take the pills for it or buy the milk that is already treated for lactose intolerant people.

:lol: I thought on first reading the bolded word said "pasturized" and thought it must be very painful to the hens.

I have tried almond milk , rice milk, soy milk, and I can't tolerate the taste of any of them.

I am glad I can drink milk, but it I was lactose intolerant, I think I would take the pills for it or buy the milk that is already treated for lactose intolerant people.

I am still glad that I can have goat diary products... So expensive though. A bit too sweet for me though-- so I never bothered purchasing them after I got out of (high) school. Doctors never did figure out why bovine diary gives me nosebleeds and inflamed sinuses.

One question... if vegans are required to take B12 shots and pills to stay healthy, what is the vitamin pills produced from? I need to "Google" this. :hmm:

I am still glad that I can have goat diary products... So expensive though. A bit too sweet for me though-- so I never bothered purchasing them after I got out of (high) school. Doctors never did figure out why bovine diary gives me nosebleeds and inflamed sinuses.

One question... if vegans are required to take B12 shots and pills to stay healthy, what is the vitamin pills produced from? I need to "Google" this. :hmm:

I don't know for sure about vegans, but I know my vegetarian daughter reads labels very carefully to make sure no gelatin. And gets iron supplements specially for vegetarians.

And as for goat milk, my husband does get that and goat cheese once in a while, but you are right about the expense, so he doesn't have it often.

I don't know for sure about vegans, but I know my vegetarian daughter reads labels very carefully to make sure no gelatin. And gets iron supplements specially for vegetarians.

And as for goat milk, my husband does get that and goat cheese once in a while, but you are right about the expense, so he doesn't have it often.

Found. :)

B12 is naturally made by bacterium, and the cultures are grown in labs to extract it.

I like goat milk better than cow's actually but as I have dairy allergies the difference in protein between goat's and cow's doesn't help me. I've tried sheep's milk too, has anyone else?
true- cost <goat's milk>

These are bacterial in source. In "the older days" foods like tofu and other soy products used to contain higher amounts (sufficient to sustain life, possibly) of b12 specifically because they were subject to a greater degree of bacterial contamination. Now that food processing has become much more sterile, tofu only contains b12 if it is fortified as a supplement.

That said, it is important to understand just how little b12 humans need to be healthy. The RDA for b12 is 2.4 micrograms per day for an adult who is not pregnant or breastfeeding(in which case it is 2.6). To be safe, because RDAs are too low for a few percent of people, we'll even take a leap and say that people should consume 2.5 whole micrograms per day.

Assuming this person is not eating any of the very many fortified foods like nondairy milks, cereal, ect, and is not exposed to any foods subject to any bacterial contamination (soy based products which still can contain some lower amounts of b12 'naturally', ect) and never accidentally or intentionally consumes non-vegan foods, they could mosey on down to the store, buy some 5000mcg "mega" b12 pills, and they would need to take one tablet every 2000 days, or roughly every five and a half years.

If this person is like 99% of vegans, and is exposed to b12 fortified foods, you can see how this pill schedule frequency would then be extended into hilarity.

How's that for perspective? Humans need b12 to live healthy lives, but we sure as kittens don't need a lot of it. Your body stores b12, so you genuinely do not need to be consuming the RDA on a daily basis in order to be healthy: it just has to add up to enough to maintain a healthy store of b12.

Anyone who tells you vegans "need" to be taking b12 on a daily or regular basis, or that vegans "need" b12 shots (if they don't have absorption issues that'd make them need shots even as non-vegans) is flat out lying. Human bodies are awesome things that take care of themselves much more than humans give them credit for.

Back